13 coaches online • Server time: 03:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is the Blackbox welcome message misleading?
Yes, and I play mostly box.
43%
 43%  [ 35 ]
No, and I play mostly box.
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Yes, and I play mostly other divisions.
28%
 28%  [ 23 ]
No, and I play mostly other divisions.
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
Unsure
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 81

Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2015 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking at the votes so far

70% think the welcome msg is misleading
21% think its fine
9% are unsure

Take from that what you will.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
animefreak2599

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2015 - 06:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I like Uedder's suggestion on the first page just fine, it's fine to have a little embellishment. The problems with CPOMB in the box will stop when ranked coaches cease to avoid playing them Razz
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2015 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

there is a welcome messagE?
?!?@?!@!

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2015 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
there is a welcome messagE?
?!?@?!@!

Well, it's not really welcoming per se.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2015 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
The Blackbox division is a highly competitive, cut-throat division where coaches are not able to choose who they play against. The toughest, roughest teams compete for glory in this division and there is no mercy for the weak!

This division is not recommended for newcomers to Blood Bowl.

I'd maybe cut the "cut-throat" as it contains an awful lot of judgment that was initially aimed at the min-maxers, who are no longer that much of an issue. "No mercy" isn't necessarily true but I'll grant that opposed to Ranked, where you want opponents to play you again, there is nothing but your own personality to guide you in making the choice between SPP-farm-blitzing the Journeyman, or the opponent's pet Legend in T16. Wink

As for editing the help section I really, really don't feel up to it, at least not where the Box scheduler is concerned, much of it is gibberish to me, aaaand I've never edited a Wiki in my life so I wouldn't know how to do it if I wanted to. Razz
odinsraven

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2015 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

As somebody who's still very new to FUMBBL and Blood Bowl, I have to say that BB was a much better experience for me as a new player than Ranked. I had no way to assess what a good matchup was on Ranked, and it often felt like the only people who would accept or offer games to me were of higher TV. The Box's matching formula really protected me while I was new. The only reason I would choose ranked over box now that I have some experience is to avoid Clawpomb teams, but even they're not a huge issue when your team's new.

Just my 2 cents as a newbie.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2015 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hear, hear! Smile
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

bump

over 2/3s of voters agree the blackbox welcome msg/description needs some tuning.

this coach sums up why:

odinsraven wrote:
The Box's matching formula really protected me while I was new. The only reason I would choose ranked over box now that I have some experience is to avoid Clawpomb teams, but even they're not a huge issue when your team's new. Just my 2 cents as a newbie.

dont know what I'm talking about? its here: https://fumbbl.com/p/createteam
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

That coach only played 4 or 5 more games since posting that. He hasn't been seen for 9 weeks.

He only won one of his last seventeen matches. I wonder if he would have stuck around if he had 'picked' himself some slightly better matches. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
over 2/3s of voters agree the blackbox welcome msg/description needs some tuning.

Sadly your poll is very biased towards box users and does not give any useful information about the opinion of the general fumbbl user towards this issue. Also a meager and poor case of anecdotal evidence doesn't support your cause.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
Sadly your poll is very biased towards box users and does not give any useful information about the opinion of the general fumbbl user towards this issue. Also a meager and poor case of anecdotal evidence doesn't support your cause.

If you feel that it's biased, please disregard the votes of the box users, and look at those from non box-users. you will find the same result.

What's this evidence you speak of by the way?

Or we could just disregard the votes, and you try to make a case for why the wording is good and spot on. I doubt you will succeed.

koadah wrote:
That coach only played 4 or 5 more games since posting that. He hasn't been seen for 9 weeks.
He only won one of his last seventeen matches. I wonder if he would have stuck around if he had 'picked' himself some slightly better matches. Wink

Stop feigning ignorance koadah. This wasn't about one coach, he just summarized the reason why the wording is misleading. And you know it.
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

"Blackbox is a competitive division where coaches are automatically matched versus opponents via a scheduler they may enter every 15 minutes."

"Ranked is a competitive division where coaches may choose the opponents they play via the Gamefinder tool or through direct communication."

That's basically what is needed imho. Everything beyond the above is fluff or metagaming, and not relevant. New players need to know how to get matches, so they can try the client and see if it's to their liking. They will soon figure the meta and community out if they have any enduring interest.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

koadah wrote:

Stop feigning ignorance koadah. This wasn't about one coach, he just illustrated the reason why the wording is misleading. And you know it.

It is not "feigning ignorance". If you use a certain coach to illustrate your point then people are going to look at that coach.

Maybe he enjoyed his games. But judging by his latest results he was struggling.

Personally, I would play the Box in a more "cut throat" fashion than I would play Ranked or some League matches.
I did wonder how "cut throat" you are after you comment about "cherrypicking" yesterday.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

King_Ghidra wrote:
New players need to know how to get matches, so they can try the client and see if it's to their liking. They will soon figure the meta and community out if they have any enduring interest.

Exactly.

If we want to create a "safe zone" for bb newbies, make 145 Club official, or bring back [A]cademy. Misleading text directing coaches away from Blackbox is not the way.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
It is not "feigning ignorance". If you use a certain coach to illustrate your point then people are going to look at that coach.

Personally, I would play the Box in a more "cut throat" fashion than I would play Ranked or some League matches.
I did wonder how "cut throat" you are after you comment about "cherrypicking" yesterday.

Seriously? Is all you have these continued misdirection attempts?

The coach merely worded out the exact problem. His number of games or whatever doesn't factor into it. It is you and Woodstock apparently who sees this as "evidence".

It wasn't intended as such. But that is the exact issue.
 Jump to: