21 coaches online • Server time: 07:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is the Blackbox welcome message misleading?
Yes, and I play mostly box.
43%
 43%  [ 35 ]
No, and I play mostly box.
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Yes, and I play mostly other divisions.
28%
 28%  [ 23 ]
No, and I play mostly other divisions.
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
Unsure
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 81

koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
koadah wrote:
It is not "feigning ignorance". If you use a certain coach to illustrate your point then people are going to look at that coach.

Personally, I would play the Box in a more "cut throat" fashion than I would play Ranked or some League matches.
I did wonder how "cut throat" you are after you comment about "cherrypicking" yesterday.

Seriously? Is all you have these continued misdirection attempts?

The coach merely worded out the exact problem. His number of games or whatever doesn't factor into it. It is you and Woodstock apparently who sees this as "evidence".

It wasn't intended as such. But that is the exact issue.

It is not "misdirection". Are you maybe one of those guys that cannot see any opinion than his own?

What you, I, Woodstock or the poll think doesn't really matter. If Christer wants it to be the "cut throat", killer division then that is what it will be.

Trying to run people out of the discussion with accusations of "feigning ignorance" or "misdirection" is likely to just make them more tenacious. Wink
If you have a point just make it.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Uh I might miss-used evidence, probably meant argument... but was just saying it is anecdotal and biased, just as the poll. Doesn't support the cause.

You need to convince Christer any way, he already changed it a bit I think considering hist post on page 3. If you want another change, you need to come up with some thing better that is in line with Christer's thought of mind.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
If you have a point just make it.

Like you just did not do yourself with your insinuations around "cut throat"? Haha.

Like with Woodstock, I also extend to you the invitation of explaining why he welcoming message is spot on.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
You need to convince Christer any way, he already changed it a bit I think considering hist post on page 3. If you want another change, you need to come up with some thing better that is in line with Christer's thought of mind.

The text hasn't been changed, and this thread starts off exactly by asking coaches to come up with something better. Which they have.

And that's why I thought I'd bump this issue.

(EDIT: Others have made good suggestions, and I don't need to add to them.)
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
The blackbox is, and will always be, a division that's bash heavy.

The significant question here is: are you describing it merely as it is, or are you describing it as you intend it to be?

From a site perspective, Box and Ranked are separated by their matching mechanisms. Everything else comes from the community. Thanks to the amazing work of things like Human League, ELF and ARR, box has multiple community-led reasons for diversity of race and playstyle. But if it is your intention to sell the division as the tough guys' playground then those efforts will always face an uphill battle.

If that is not your intention, then let the site show the divisional differences are merely schedule-based and let the community decide the meta.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

It appears to me that the text has been changed.

Basically, you need to convince Christer. We don't need to convince you.

"Cut throat" in that context was more of a question than an "insinuation".
How "cut throat" are you? Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

King_Ghidra wrote:
From a site perspective, Box and Ranked are separated by their matching mechanisms. Everything else comes from the community.

As soon as your opponent can not reject, the community made it perfectly clear what they want to play. Bash was, is and will be dominant in any type of forced matchmaking system. No matter how hard you try to paddle up stream with your meta-leagues...

The description fits fine... unless you want to mislead people and lure them into it ofc.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
It appears to me that the text has been changed.

That was only Christer's suggestion. It hasn't been changed as of yet. You can check this yourself. I put the welcome msg in my first post.

koadah wrote:
Basically, you need to convince Christer.

That's what this thread is about (and any other potential decision makers around here). And as you see in your link above, it has to some extent done that.

EDIT: I see now that there has been a small edit to the text, where "newcomers to FUMBBL" has been removed. The overall tone hasn't really been changed though, and it still entices newcomers to "stay well clear or bring bash". Which many think is misleading.

Make 145 Club the official training grounds for newbies. Instead of "Ranked over Box".

Last edited by Balle2000 on %b %20, %2016 - %16:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Endzone

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I wouldn't promote Ranked or Blackbox one over the other as more suitable for new coaches. In both divisions the new coach is likely to get a mix of suitable and less suitable games. The current Blackbox message is misleading - for new coaches (at low TV) they can expect a variety of races and strength of opponent, power and theme teams. I would also steer clear of calling Blackbox 'highly competitive' compared to Ranked being 'competitive'.

"The Blackbox division is a competitive division where coaches don't choose their opponents - instead, every 15 minutes, an automated scheduler determines the matches.

Will you be drawn against Chaos or Elves? Rookie or Legend? There is only one way to find out..."
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
"The Blackbox division is a competitive division where coaches don't choose their opponents - instead, every 15 minutes, an automated scheduler determines the matches.

Will you be drawn against Chaos or Elves? Rookie or Legend? There is only one way to find out..."

I like the feel of this one.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Me, too.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

In a recent Blackbox match (playing as a new Woodelf team) my newish opponent made the opening comment "Elves, that is uncommon for Blackbox." He had played against 18 different races in his first 40 Blackbox games, including Dark, High and Wood elves. However, he had only coached bashy races so far in the Box, whilst coaching more agile teams in Ranked. I think the current division welcome messages give a misleading impression whilst also encouraging certain race and build choices.

Last edited by Endzone on %b %20, %2016 - %16:%Jan; edited 3 times in total
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
I think the current division welcome messages encourage certain race and build choices.

Exactly!
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

This conversation reminds of something like an Elk's Lodge meeting. We sound like a bunch of old men discussing whether or not we need to move a table from one corner of the lodge to another.

I mean to say, I don't think this is big deal. I like the proposed wording, but I doubt new coaches even read the warning, or pay it any particular heed.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Endzone wrote:
I think the current division welcome messages encourage certain race and build choices.

Exactly!

Yet people keep saying that diversity is fine for young teams.

It is the scheduler rules and higher TV bashers more than anything else that "encourage certain race and build choices".

Jump to: