53 coaches online • Server time: 18:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How long should a term as ARR captain last?
6 months (3 seasons).
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
12 months (6 seasons).
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
π months (π/2 seasons).
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 24

happygrue

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 05:06 Reply with quote Back to top

As expressed in a PM to the group, I am stepping down soon from my two years of building and running ARR. Real life is leaving me with little time and I feel I'm not able to do justice to keeping up with all of the fun things that are happening in the community these days. ArrestedDevelopment is busy creating fun new things for us:

but I haven't written about it. XFL is now open to ARR teams! ARR! But I haven't drummed up interest for that yet either. The point is - we need fresh motivation in the captain's chair.

HERE IS WHAT I PROPOSE:

Someone who wants the basic duties of posting the season awards(every other month), sending out the brawl reminders (once a month) and doing a minimum or better of group fluff (like a season thread and a few tidbits here and there) should step up and take the reins for a bit.

I suspect that some of the ideas that are kicking around for badges, fluffy things and general improvements to the group page and general operating system will start to happen when fresh eyes and fingers take over the typing up of things.

I've included a poll, just out of curiosity, to see if people would be more interested in doing the job for 6 months (3 seasons) at a time or 12 months (6 seasons) at a time.

HERE'S WHAT I THINK SHOULD HAPPEN NEXT:

If you are interested leading ARR fair group for the next few months, please post in this thread your interest (either starting soon or at some future time). Also post why you would like to do the job, and what ideas you are interested in pushing forward beyond the basic duties of chARRperson.

The basic duties are:

1) Post the awards once every two months. This may take you an hour or three depending on what kind of writeup you do and how new you are to the process or perhaps 30 minutes if you know what you are doing and move quickly.

2) Post reminders about the the Brawls and any ARR relevant tournaments. This does not take much time, but you do have to be on the ball enough to know what day it is. Pants are optional though, so it's not all bad.

Ideally you would also find time to:

3) Be around and available for some general fluff in forum/blog form. Being a bit visible and letting new coaches know of our existence is a good thing!

4) Update/improve the group page. It is in sorry shape at the moment and could use both cleaning and a general facelift. Adding/removing/organizing badges, fluff and information are things that could be done by a motivated individual or tasked BY that individual to other parties that feel like helping out but don't want to be on the hook long-term. This is likely to suck away as many hours of your life as you care to put into it. But even a bit of an update would go a long way.

I'm not going anywhere - I'll still be hanging out on IRC in #metabox and will be around to answer questions and hand-hold. Maybe even some light spooning - but no promises. I have just found that the past few seasons I have had less and less time/energy to keep the lights on - and we deserve bettARR!

So to recap: If one clear person emerges in this thread I suppose we can talk transfer of power. If several want to do it, then we can hash out who does it first and how long things will go and so on. We could also do some voting via a poll but I think it's more likely we'll just get in line and have a few of the existing ARR group admins okay the choice.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

ARR all menz!

Thanks for the work on this Grue. You've started something that has been a hoot to be pARRt of.

Jeffro
tussock

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

ARR! But LatARR. Maybe if someone wants to delARRgate some of the grunt work or writing of fluff, that's more my thing. I could manage an ARRwards thread for the races and stuff, but not so much group page design or even useful infAARmation.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 07:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't even play anymore, and if i did it wouldn't be in the Box. Nevertheless, I want to thank Happygrue for his great job running ARR, and encourage people to take the always rewarding (although oftentimes frustrating) experience of running things in FUMBBL.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks a lot for running ARR Happygrue, I may be new round here, but things like this are, in my opinion, the backbone of the spirit of communities - the ability to create competition out of situations that would otherwise be neglected and to bring people together over possibilities that in another place would simply be rejected.

It harks almost to homebrew'd league status the way some people approach the sprints with a community endeavour that leaves the Brawls occasionally looking like a pub where a group have decided the pool table is theirs for the night Very Happy

The popularity of the group even with outsiders (even if they just like the spp!) is a great testament to its success, and it's exactly the sort of thing that turns Fumbbl away from being "just another" online presence.

So, congratulations on instilling something so powARRful. And best of luck to the new bloo, I mean er, fresh me... ahem, whoever steps up as pacemakARR!

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings comARRads,

After a long thought I decided to step forwARRd.

I really love and believe in ARR and I'm willing to help to keep it alive and why not expand it.

Concerning the basic duties:

1) Might need a bit of help with the awARRds, English not being my mother tongue and not being a BBcode guru (far from it).

2) No problem here, I always have in mind when the ARR brawl is up and have alerted Grue about it several times in the past (not that it was needed, just to make sure he didn't miss it)

3) Again, no problem. I always follow the standings and the progress of the race so I know what's going on. Can't promise that I'll pick up the analytical weekly updates and season recaps, as I did in the past, but I can certainly post brief updates and highlight stand out teams/games/events in the season thread. As for ARR promotion, I always do that in-game and also PM coaches that already play our races to join. Will try to do that with more consistency in the future.

4) All help is welcome in this pARRt too. I have done the ARR records in the homepage and I've been updating them every season. I have several ideas about the group page, will try to implement some if the Group agrees. Not everything needs to be done asap but it would be nice to have a road-map for things we want to introduce to the page and do it at our own pace, depending on contributions by other volunteers Wink.

Some thoughts and ideas:

A) Group page:
1) I think we should add a Hall of Fame a la HLP (I propose the New Vamps to be the first inductee). Similarly we can add a list of past Winners and Stunty Winners, again a la HLP.
2) Make a new "button" for tournament winners: BrawlARR champs, Box Minor, RRR and XFL winners.
3) Add a "Team with most sprints" in the ARR Records

B) AniversARRy season:
Lucky numbARR thARRteen coming up. I was intending to do a recap for the fARRst couple of years. Nothing fancy, boring statistics mainly(total number of sprints, per race, per season etc). Would like to include a short piece on a stand out team of each race but can't promise anything.

I think it would be nice to create some ARR traditions for our aniversARRy seasons:
1) HLP vs ARR Brawls.
This had huge success last year (most drawn Brawls ever) so I think we should do it this year too.
2) Fundraiser (edit)
Also had great success last year. Don't know if it will work with the recent Borak thing but it wouldn't hurt to try
3) Non-believARR sprint.
Part of last years fundraiser was JimmyFantastic sprinting with Ogres. I think it's cool to have a known (non-member) coach sprint every year. Maybe even have a poll with nominees in the previous season. For this year I have contacted Jimmy to do it with Gobbos (for less money too Wink) but we may shoot for another one.

C) Other stuff:
These will be random depending on time and mood.
1) LegendARRy Journeys series.
Spotlight on a ARR team.
2) IntARRview with a Vampire series.
Interviews with stand out ARR coaches.
3) Racial nights.
I have proposed it before. Have a certain day/time where we all activate a given race. I doubt if it will have success but we could give it a try. I think instead of fixing a specific day/time it will be better to use a random format (basically just announcing the day and time 2-3 days before) and see how it works.

Btw I think this doesn’t have to be a one-man show. Maybe two or more volunteers can step forward to share the responsibilities. I have already discussed it with mrt1212 and would be more than happy to run the whole thing as a duo, maybe even a trio if someone else wants to get involved (provided that happygrue agrees of course).

Finally I would like to thank happygrue for creating and running ARR. He is a top coach, great guy and always fun opponent. I hope to have him back in chARRge soon.

Apologies for the huge wall of text.

Last edited by cdassak on %b %11, %2015 - %18:%Nov; edited 2 times in total
fidius

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

This group has had a large positive effect on game diversity in the Box in my opinion. Glad to see it was picked up by a solid guy with an awesome track record with the ARR teams! cdARRssak!
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Live long AARnd Prosper!

Great ideas cdASSak.

I think the idea of wonder-twins (cdASSak & MrT1212) is a winner!
Shakall

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Since Cdassak is the guy that really got me into ARR and Goblins (and the bastARRd that will shatter all previous records and make my Goblin dreams just dreams this season with his Holiday in Gamobia Smile) I think if you want to run ARR that be great news! I would love some awARRd for killing C/POMBers like this dwarf. If with a foul even prettier award.

Good news that you stepped forward mate!
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

killing cpombers eh? no quartARR!
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I will be the blunt tool of dirty work in the hands of cdassak.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pleased to see interest from great folks! Let's leave this open until the weekend for feedback and see where we're at.

cdassak has been a great help for some time now and I'm pleased to see he's motivated to step up (and I know he has ideas!). And it's true, there's no need to have one person do it all.

I threw out the time of 6 or 12 months just to have something to aim at. I'm confident that there are plenty of ARR menz around who have not been killed and can pick up the torch as needed.

I think we ARR in for a good time!

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

cdassak wrote:

3) Non-believARR sprint.
Part of last years fundraiser was JimmyFantastic sprinting with Ogres. I think it's cool to have a known (non-member) coach sprint every year. Maybe even have a poll with nominees in the previous season. For this year I have contacted Jimmy to do it with Gobbos (for less money too Wink) but we may shoot for another one.

Dammit, I should read text properly before I decide to spend 5min in PS...

Here's a badge just for Jimmy (at the moment!) though: Image

Celebrating the likely procedure for CR during an stunty sprint... it's going downwARRds!!

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Love it!
The deleted Legend is so cool, well done mate!
Don't know about the wording, I like unbelievARR too, what does the rest of the group think?
I think we have a diamond in our hands with AD, welcome aboARRd man!

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet!

I've made a thread just for badge and art stuff (probably one of my last acts before officially passing the torch), so please post all that great stuff you've been doing here.

Jump to: