37 coaches online • Server time: 10:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Purplegoo here. I think Rookies can even benefit from playing against experienced coaches. I always check coach pages of coaches I don't know before playing them so if I see a coach has recently joined and/or very few matches, I mention this in chat, ask them about how they found the site and how they knew Blood Bowl, etc. I offer advice where I think it's beneficial, and generally try to be supportive. It's usually well received. Maybe it helps that I mostly play soft teams, but if I have a bash team I do go a little light on a Rookie once the game has been clearly won.

As for enthusiastic posting on the forums before even playing the first game, well, that's just an internet thing. Doesn't really mean a lot.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you Vermi.

I think my question is this...

Is the path to support too difficult to find as a new coach? If so, what can we, as a community, do about it?

What you describe is a great. However, we all are aware that not everyone shares your attitude when meeting newer coaches.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a chat would help a lot. I know there's irc and it's great, but it's one step more you have to take.

Community is the one thing that will make these people stay.

Edit: also more pro elves would make the site more attractive.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
I agree with you Vermi.

I think my question is this...

Is the path to support too difficult to find as a new coach? If so, what can we, as a community, do about it?

What you describe is a great. However, we all are aware that not everyone shares your attitude when meeting newer coaches.

The site is pretty big and overwhelming as a newcomer. I really like the idea of having a 145 banner (or otherwise) on new coaches homepage - this can be a central resource for helping new coaches out.

Chat on gamefinder would be nice so you can offer those easier match-ups (or suggest a league match) to new coaches. The visibility of that might help to change the culture too and spur other coaches to do the same.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I appreciate that fundamentally changing the site layout would be too hard to bother, but if I could freely choose I'd certainly opt for it to be much more along the lines of modern browser games, as I've said before. I'm not saying you're wrong that what we can do to point Rookies in the right direction, we should do. But Goo's point is still very valid, many people will come around here and will dip their toes in and will quit when they realize that it's going to take real effort, and a lot of time, to get anywhere. Finding your way around the site is going to be the easiest part about it.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

To the (assuming edited topic title): Spam registration email with regular news about FUMBBL-happenings.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure about the gamefinder chat. Before the current gf, we had to negotiate games through the irc and it opened the door to the occasional bit of harassment/abuse. E.g. 'what's the matter noob? Too much of a picker to take on my chorfs with your elves? Pff!'

I also miss the days of socializing on the irc though - these days it's just dead.

Edit: I guess potential abuse wouldn't be such an issue if all gf chat were openly visible to everyone.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
For the [L]eague at least we should be able to see all the teams waiting. Not just those in range of the teams you threw in.

And yes. Gamefinder Chat.

Rbthma wrote:

Chat on gamefinder would be nice so you can offer those easier match-ups (or suggest a league match) to new coaches. The visibility of that might help to change the culture too and spur other coaches to do the same.

I do like the chat in Box, but I disagree with a Ranked game finder. With the Box chat, people can't stay anonymous by not talking, and not showing what you wish to activate.
With the Ranked Gamefinder, you show yourself and your teams.
I have very loose lips at times, because 1) I am generally this way and 2) I rarely play Sober. Granted I don't activate on Game finder often, but I have received a few PMs from would be opponents that have been problems. I think this is a bad idea and would open up a door that will be more work for admins.

I do like your idea of show casing the 145 clubs teams on Game finder. This can be personally rectified by simply having 145 at the start of a team name, in the same way secret league has SL at the beginning. I would further suggest you (Throwreck) ask your club to add a memo under each team, pointing the way (with links) to the 145 page and perhaps groups Chat.

Sometimes watching with more experienced coaches is the best way to learn this game. It's also a great way to understand the community and make friends. I would suggest a group PM saying you will be giving tips while watching 2 Legends or experienced coaches playing. You could orchestrate this with a small amount preplanning. I really wish we could watch already played games in groups. Is this possible without a 3rd party system like Twitch?

Jeffro
Uedder

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I also think a tournament scene within the 145 club would help people stick around. Tournaments are a great hook
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I hear ya keggie but...

you get snotty PMs absent a chatbox in gamefinder right now. How is saving you the trouble of that while also providing something that could be used in a positive fashion for better negotiations be worse than the status quo? More work for Admins? It's kind of silly that the one venue where more communication and ability to qualify the wants of opponents could be beneficial has no apparatus in place to support that.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Uedder wrote:
I also think a tournament scene within the 145 club would help people stick around. Tournaments are a great hook

This is prepared and will go live this weekend!

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

As a reasonably new coach to fumbbl, I can say that the site us a bit overwhelming.

I came I saw, I created a team. I went ranked as looking at the descriptions when creating my team it seemed the best fit. I wasn't aware of the 145 club, although as I've played a lot of tabletop I probably would have given it a miss anyway.

Even now a few months I'm still a bit in the dark by things like gross, tournaments, box bashes, badges (I want to start collecting these) and leagues.

The community here is (largely) great and I'm sure if I asked I'd get all the answers I needed as I would if I searched the forums, but at the same time it would maybe be nice to have a welcome to fumbbl page, hers how to join a league (recommending 145 club) hers a reference to some terms you'll here (grids, badges etc) with links to relevant areas.

Finally I have recently played some new coaches. I didn't check before playing them (all newish teams), through chat I found out they were new and sent them the145 club it's possible that I've played other new coaches and not known about it.
kummo

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:

This can be personally rectified by simply having 145 at the start of a team name, in the same way secret league has SL at the beginning.

I see you alot in forums but rarely i agree with what you say or then i just ignore you. But this. This is an actual good idea from you.

Gratz Smile
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

c9805222 wrote:
As a reasonably new coach to fumbbl, I can say that the site us a bit overwhelming.

I came I saw, I created a team. I went ranked as looking at the descriptions when creating my team it seemed the best fit. I wasn't aware of the 145 club, although as I've played a lot of tabletop I probably would have given it a miss anyway.

Even now a few months I'm still a bit in the dark by things like gross, tournaments, box bashes, badges (I want to start collecting these) and leagues.

The community here is (largely) great and I'm sure if I asked I'd get all the answers I needed as I would if I searched the forums, but at the same time it would maybe be nice to have a welcome to fumbbl page, hers how to join a league (recommending 145 club) hers a reference to some terms you'll here (grids, badges etc) with links to relevant areas.

Finally I have recently played some new coaches. I didn't check before playing them (all newish teams), through chat I found out they were new and sent them the145 club it's possible that I've played other new coaches and not known about it.

It takes a while do get accustomed to the site, etc. so that's probably normal.

As far as the badges go, that's an optional thing and not official or anything. I enjoy collecting them as do many other coaches. Here's the link. Smile
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

kummo wrote:
keggiemckill wrote:

This can be personally rectified by simply having 145 at the start of a team name, in the same way secret league has SL at the beginning.

I see you alot in forums but rarely i agree with what you say or then i just ignore you. But this. This is an actual good idea from you.

Gratz Smile

POW/POW!!!
That's a -2D block (without tackle) on the ball-carrier if I ever saw one! Laughing

c'mon though, Rainbow thread is the best thread in a long while!
 Jump to: