41 coaches online • Server time: 14:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HoboJed

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I once tried a mocked up team of nurgles rotters where all the players had FA, Tentacles, and Pass Block (against a similar strength elf team)...the elves were totaly thrashed...they just couldn't cope with it...now I know you are unlikely to get that team, but it shows that fa and tentacles can be effective in numbers...

Why not mock up a roster and try it yourself?
Diarmuid

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know what all this trouble with beating elf teams is all about. Its not that hard, just pick your targets carefully and put your players into the best positions possible to lower the odds as much as possible. Sure there are going to be games when the elves will score no matter what, but not always. Good positional play is fairly effective. But as a bashy team you will have to accept the fact that elves can score at will sometimes. Just kick off to them, let them score and score back. Then stall and score an 8 turner in the second half. If they try to stall in the first half, make em pay. The all important balancing factor is the low av on the elves. Take a few out and you've given yourself a great chance. But remember, fortune is fickle.
origami

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

There's also the fact that if you pick all Claw/Rsc, you will be playing few elf teams here on fumbbl.
HoboJed

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

origami wrote:
There's also the fact that if you pick all Claw/Rsc, you will be playing few elf teams here on fumbbl.

The funny thing is that the team I tried out actualy caused a very large amount of casualties (I think there was something like 8 players in the elves' dead and injured box at the end of the match), because with all the tentacles, the elves ended up next to my players more often (even with strength 3 on 3, tentacles will work 5 times out of 12!), and it's hardly like you need armour and injury modifiers to hurt elves.
Stovaa

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Just kick them. You won't score more often, but you'll get the CAS. Isn't that good enough? If its not, just hope that they roll lots of ones.
Lorion

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I must agree with topper, elves always and only fail the easy rolls. Make it easy for them and they will fail Very Happy

Its the elven curse.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Tentacles is widely underestimated by people, elves who dodge away CANT use their main weapon, their ag AND get no reroll, Its pretty much a 50-50 chance of them making it (not quite) away. so 2+ dodge with rr (or tackle meaning no RR) is alot better than a nigh on 50% chance. Then you also get to smack them if they fail. And they cant run through TZ's.

Flings Rule!
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

HoboJed wrote:
origami wrote:

The funny thing is that the team I tried out actualy caused a very large amount of casualties (I think there was something like 8 players in the elves' dead and injured box at the end of the match), because with all the tentacles, the elves ended up next to my players more often (even with strength 3 on 3, tentacles will work 5 times out of 12!), and it's hardly like you need armour and injury modifiers to hurt elves.

Well, as an elf (among other things) coach, while I 'fear' Claw/RSC/MB more, I realize that FA and Tentacles will give me a much harder time as far as the win is concerned.

Think of it this way: Claw/RSC/MB don't make me do anything elves don't want to do anyway - stay out of contact with opposing players. FA and Tentacles make me change up tactics, prevent me from making the move and/or pass that I had wanted to and force me to search for a more complicated route involving numerous die rolls, one of which will invariably fail.
Mentok

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, lets make it a bit more precise. I played elves with my humies.
3 games in a row against darkies. 3-3, 4-0, 0-3.
THat's pretty OK, but I had to rely on a bit of luck to get these results.
Tactics Humies - Elves?
K, I have some decent catchers and a rather normal thrower, so I in fact played elf ball as well...
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=46825 <-- Team URL

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Assuming that defence is your main problem and you will try and contest the ball when he receives, here are some tips (besides the "kill em all, they're only elves" approach):

1. When an elf team runs out of rerolls, try a fairly aggressive lineup. Sometimes 11 players all on the front line will work, if you have enough strenght / guard. Of course the risks are large with this setup, but you can also get yourself an easy touchdown with it.
2. Have blitzers situated both near the scrimmage line and deep, so that you can hunt the ball carrier in both halves of the field. Placing a blitzer immediately behind a big guy on the LOS is a good idea.
3. Spread your players around. Elves throw the ball around a lot, and often have very few rerolls. If you have players in most parts of the field you can quickly capitalise on elfish mistakes.
4. Sometimes elves do a 1-turn break through and create a cage in your half of the field. If you had enough players deep enough, you can try surrounding the cage completely, and blitzing one corner away. If you piled in enough players, with any luck you can stop them in your next turn.
5. Be patient. Dont send all your players in one area. Let the elfish player take all the risks. If you stall him long enough he will get desperate and hopefully make a mistake.
6. Be ready to take advantage of blitz and perfect defence. Elves usually focus all their players at one point in the field, and attempt a surgical 1-turn break through. With perfect defence, you can place your ogre / longbeard / mutant chaos warrior in front of their best players, and ruin their plan for the next drive. With blitz you can put some of their players on the deck and get near the ball.

Finally in attack,
1. Always guard your own side from the possibility of blitz. I always prefer to have around 5 or 6 players deep when i am RECEIVING so that I can recover from nasty blitzes / failed pick ups etc. Also if the kick is deep, you can form a deep cage.
2. You have an advantage here because a slow, patient cage drive is almost impossible to stop by most elvish sides.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

2. You have an advantage here because a slow, patient cage drive is almost impossible to stop by most elvish sides.

not true... all elves have to do if you are smart is dodge back 1 square and slow up the cage... keep a line of elves backing off and wait for a weakness in the cage that your wardancers can exploit with a little strip ball!
Grod

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

browwnrob_ni wrote:
Quote:

not true... all elves have to do if you are smart is dodge back 1 square and slow up the cage... keep a line of elves backing off and wait for a weakness in the cage that your wardancers can exploit with a little strip ball!

Thats why you have to be patient and slow!
Delta

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

browwnrob_ni wrote:

keep a line of elves backing off and wait for a weakness in the cage that your wardancers can exploit with a little strip ball!

There is nothing I love more than leaping into a cage with my WD and taking the ball when the opposing coach thinks he is sitting safe!

Hell, if I'm in the right mood I'll take three dice with him choosing!! Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: May 28, 2004 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

There is nothing I love more than leaping into a cage with my WD and taking the ball when the opposing coach thinks he is sitting safe!

It's called surehands and guarders next to the ball carrier. If you did that with your wardancer against me I would get very gitty indeed.
deathgerbil

Post   Posted: May 28, 2004 - 06:13 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe, you try that against me, and i can guarantee you that the wardancer will end up dead. sure, you might slow the cage up for one turn, but thats because the cage stopped for one turn to all apply the boot to the wardancer's skull. Personally i don't try to rely upon tentacles and foul apperance, but that's because unless your teams rotters (which tend to die out quickly because people end up going beastman hunting), you can't really rely on getting doubles with tentacles and foul apperance too often.

Even if you are lucky enough to create a full team of tentacles and foul apperance, do you really think any elves will play you except in tournaments? the only ones who you'll end up playing are other chaos and basher teams, who'll eat you alive.
 Jump to: