19 coaches online • Server time: 04:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
thales2

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi fumbbl

I just have a player disconnecting from a game after I timed him out.

He say he was away for 2 min, I waited 6 min and timed him out.

When he came back he claim I break the rule and disconnected.

rule wise who in the wrong ?

Thx

Last edited by thales2 on %b %15, %2016 - %04:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

You really are not supposed to time somebody out unless you have warned them. Sometimes things come up in RL and to time someone out the first time is pretty low. I know there are times when I think I am connected and I am not and by the time the game times out and I come back the opponent could time me out or vice versa.

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, we are not supposed to name and shame. Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:03 Reply with quote Back to top

NerdBird wrote:
You really are not supposed to time somebody out unless you have warned them.

There is nothing in the rules that says you 'have' to warn them. It's a courtesy to do so though & most do. It's generally the situation in which you time someone out that can generate an issue as not all situations warrant a timing out & 'could' end up being against the rules. It is, however, against the rules to be posting this problem, w/ names included, in the forum. Take this to a support ticket or goto fumbbl admin in chat.

Last edited by Nightbird on %b %15, %2016 - %04:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
thales2

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone can see who was my opponent no shaming here.

This also the first time I time someone out. After 6 min a was piss.

Appart from the morality of the move it again the rules or not ?
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

thales2 wrote:
Anyone can see who was my opponent no shaming here.

Doesn't matter if someone can look up your opponent. You are NOT allowed to name them in the forums like you did. I'm sure an admin will chime in soon to tell you this again.

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't matter if someone can look up your opponent. You are NOT allowed to name them in the forums like you did. I'm sure an admin will chime in soon to tell you this again.[/quote]

Well removed the name and suimited a proper ticket.
paradocks

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had the timeout used against me on nearly every single occasion in pretty much every single game I've ever played. It's strange how I read in the forums that what I've experienced isn't common practice.
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:13 Reply with quote Back to top

ANd actually if he was AFK it is not legal to time him out. A lot of this would depend on the dialogue though. I play fast but I also have 3 young kids and when things happen, I have no time to type in that I will be away, so sometimes it is hard to play with your head in the game. Especially if your opponent had a very quick turnover and you thought you had a minute or two......

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

If your opponent is playing his turn and has been playing for 4 minutes, then you can timeout. Warning is courtesy.

IF your opponent isn't playing and is irresponsive in the chat, then you must assume his cat was on fire, so timing him out is against the rules.

Likewise, if your opponent warns you he will be "afk" or "brb" then you're not allowed to time him out.

Also, read the rules. That's a rule.
thales2

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:
I've had the timeout used against me on nearly every single occasion in pretty much every single game I've ever played. It's strange how I read in the forums that what I've experienced isn't common practice.

I was also timeout before and never rage quit.

I also play chess online and when you timeout you lose the game no excuse
mdd31

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

If someone has been playing slow all game and then the time goes past 4 min then timeout is fair game. If they have not been chatting then no "warning" needed. If they have been chatting then you should say something. If someone has played fast all game and then suddenly is not moving you should wait and if they dont play assume something is wrong and leave the game to finish later. It is really just using common sense.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Uedder wrote:
If your opponent is playing his turn and has been playing for 4 minutes, then you can timeout. Warning is courtesy.

IF your opponent isn't playing and is irresponsive in the chat, then you must assume his cat was on fire, so timing him out is against the rules.

Likewise, if your opponent warns you he will be "afk" or "brb" then you're not allowed to time him out.

Also, read the rules. That's a rule.

So you're telling me you'd rather be antisocial than show courtesey, because you interpret the rules to allow you leeway in doing so? You're a peach.

What's the harm in a warning?
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

If a sudden RL event comes up, wouldn't it be better to just disconnect from the game entirely (after giving a quick heads-up in the chat, if you can)? That way, at least your clock isn't running down and if you don't make it back within 15 minutes, your opponent can have the game aborted.

Or, is that also against the rules?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
tussock

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

"when he came back" to see you had already timed him out.

It does not matter how long people say they will be away. "A couple of minutes" is a very loose phrase in English anyway.

We are all allowed a minimum of 4 minutes for playing our turns. If you time out someone who is obviously not there and not playing then you are not giving your opponent 4 minutes to play their turn.

Your opponent is supposed to be available for the typical duration of a match, but real life is a thing which interferes fairly regularly in that for most of us and it can help to have something else to do while you wait for your opponent to return. Like not staring at the timer waiting to time them out.