19 coaches online • Server time: 02:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ph0enyx13

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2016 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Like I have seen on the forum Verminardo say that Crown of Sand has softer teams than the more bashy Warpstone Open. Or how GLT seems to be won by a lot of faster teams where as the Wheel of Chaos is all Nurgle and Dorfs.

Is it just a difference in terms of Major vs Minor or Ranked vs Box or is there a reason for a different meta between different Box Majors?
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2016 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably something to do w/ the prizes that can be earned is my guess.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2016 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

some tournaments are structured in such a way that they may be more beneficial to some races vs. others.

For example, I believe the GLT has brackets which are setup so that it's mostly weaker races, meaning they have a better chance to have a "weaker" team get through the qualifiers.

Similarly, the UI has 'light' vs. 'dark', so it may be less-bashy than usual for the light side, etc.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2016 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

footballolb16 wrote:
some tournaments are structured in such a way that they may be more beneficial to some races vs. others.

For example, I believe the GLT has brackets which are setup so that it's mostly weaker races, meaning they have a better chance to have a "weaker" team get through the qualifiers.

Similarly, the UI has 'light' vs. 'dark', so it may be less-bashy than usual for the light side, etc.

Ok, this answer makes much more sense then my 'guess'. Embarassed

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2016 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Wasn't the comment about the different brackets in the CoS rather than different tournaments? Box only tournaments will have a different make up to Ranked only tournaments, that's for sure. Other than that the FUMBBL Cup being the top of the top, would there really be a difference in Majors?
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2016 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The Crown of Sand did indeed see a lot of Elves this year, though it wasn't the case in previous years. But Majors do have different metas. Some are pretty straightforward like WO, Black Cup or Fumbbl Cup, where it's basically just random draw knock out full stop. But the CoS for example has only three races per Qualifier, the WoC has Qualifiers for higher and lower TV, the UI has the Dark and Light side, the LC has the challenge phase. So yea, there is that. Still, meta, shmeta, Nurgz gonna Nurg. Wink

With this year's WO, the thing I commented on was no single Elf reaching the main draw. It was not that no good Elf teams or Elf coaches entered, it was just that they were all eliminated. So that had nothing to do with the meta really, it was just that the Ranked Elves performed poorly, and their Box brothers showed them how it's done in the CoS. (Of course, having some mostly Elfbowl qualifiers helped with that, but next year it could be very different.)
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2016 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget that plenty of people also apply teams to Majors based on the fluff - UI saw people that might otherwise have played something else play High Elves, Warpstone, a bunch of Skaven etc etc.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2016 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

The WO applies a secret +5 modifier on fouling elves, i am sure of it!
 Jump to: