62 coaches online • Server time: 22:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

How about Blood Bowl using the full (D20) D&D rules? Has anyone tried that?

Could be pretty interesting (although it might take a while). Could include the full rules for grappling and if someone tries to dodge, opposing players marking them would get an 'attack of opportunity', so they wouldn't be able to tackle more than one player per turn (unless they have the skill that allows that - combat reflexes, or something?). Could be pretty nuts if you included the magic/psionic rules - mentally dominate the opposing ballcarrier and make him score an own-goal! Lol! Or, create an illusory ball to fool the other team.

Also, the initiative system would mean that teams don't necessarily take their turns sequentially. Wow, I wanna try this! Very Happy

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
RedPuma

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds like a fun project! Very Happy Count me in!
I haven't played D&D in several years and never tried any rules past 3.5, but I have to read into the rules again for a school project anyways. So if you really want to figure out how to do this, send me a PM and we can bounce around some ideas.
zhraia

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Initiative would change the game, but not that much I think. It could be a fun thing to try with the normal rules, taking turns moving one player. The main hurdles would be hit points and magic.

Hit points is a minor problem, but it can take a while to knock someone down, but when they get beaten down they stay down unless you had a healer in the reserve box that could fix players up. I guess the teams would duke it out for a few turns until one team got the upper hand and wiped the other team out.

The main problem would be magic. A wizard picks up the ball and teleport to end-zone, mass lockdown spells or spells that change terrain would neutrulize the whole opposing team for a few turns, blocking of areas of the pitch and allowing easy scoring. There are many spells and abilities that boosts mobility, it would be easy to have a players move freely a few turns, fly, move thru the earth, teleport, ignore tacklezones, invisibility and so on. Spells can be limited by keeping the game at low level, but even then a few buff-spells and some racial or class abilities can make a player almost impossible to stop from moving for a few turns to score. You can give the ball an anti-magic field or something to prevent magic from affecting the square that the ball is in, but then someone could cast some magic that prevents movement in an area, allowing the ball carrier to run freely in it and stopping the opposing team. Some rules regarding magic use would have to be well worked out.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

@zhraia: yes, magic definitely plays a bigger role in D&D than in the Warhammer setting, so maybe it would be too dominant. Although, both teams would/could have access to magic and starting teams would be low level, so a L1 wiz would likely only have one or two spells that could knock a player down or stun them for a turn or two. But at high levels, yeah magic might be overpowered. Although, spellcasters are generally weak and might not survive long on a BB pitch ..

Hit points would probably need to be tweaked so that players could be knocked down/ko-ed more easily. The basic rules 'as is' would probably not be ideally suited to BB.

@RedPuma: tbh, I doubt I'll have the time to develop a ruleset or even play it, but it seems like an interesting thought experiment! Smile

bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

"Although, spellcasters are generally weak and might not survive long on a BB pitch .. "

...and the wizard cage was born. Ball? what ball? Cage the wizard!

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

My next D&D campaign was going to be centered around the adventurers competing in Blood Bowl. They were going to find a coach who turned out to be a down and out Troll Slayer. Each adventure would be going off to look for the Whistle of Turn Ending, Pom Poms of Power, or some such nonsense and would end with a game of Blood Bowl using the D&D rules with no weapons bigger than a dagger, and if you used a dagger, you'd have to roll to see if the ref caught you (perception of the ref).

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
My next D&D campaign was going to be centered around the adventurers competing in Blood Bowl. They were going to find a coach who turned out to be a down and out Troll Slayer. Each adventure would be going off to look for the Whistle of Turn Ending, Pom Poms of Power, or some such nonsense and would end with a game of Blood Bowl using the D&D rules with no weapons bigger than a dagger, and if you used a dagger, you'd have to roll to see if the ref caught you (perception of the ref).

temple of elemental weevils.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

You could have players taking fort or reflex saves to avoid getting knocked down instead of taking damage.

I think soccer would be suited for this better. The ball is moved around by dealing it damage, in the opposite direction as the damage was dealt and an amount of squares equal to the amount of damage dealt, to much damage and the ball goes out of bounds. This would eliminate the problem with a player picking getting the ball and using some ability to move across half the pitch.

What rule set are you thinking about? I played mostly pathfinder, some 3.5, like two games with 4th and a little 5th.

On a sidenote, this could be the only place where the monk is decent (outside of adding 9000 splatboks).
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

zhraia wrote:
You could have players taking fort or reflex saves to avoid getting knocked down instead of taking damage.

I think soccer would be suited for this better. The ball is moved around by dealing it damage, in the opposite direction as the damage was dealt and an amount of squares equal to the amount of damage dealt, to much damage and the ball goes out of bounds. This would eliminate the problem with a player picking getting the ball and using some ability to move across half the pitch.

What rule set are you thinking about? I played mostly pathfinder, some 3.5, like two games with 4th and a little 5th.

On a sidenote, this could be the only place where the monk is decent (outside of adding 9000 splatboks).

Book of 9 Swords is the only splaybook you need (oh and with an unarmed swordsage you wouldn't actually ever take a level of monk).

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

5th would work well. You just need grapple checks and dex checks for passing. A dorf barbarian would kill.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2016 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
How about Blood Bowl using the full (D20) D&D rules? Has anyone tried that?

Could be pretty interesting (although it might take a while). Could include the full rules for grappling and if someone tries to dodge, opposing players marking them would get an 'attack of opportunity', so they wouldn't be able to tackle more than one player per turn (unless they have the skill that allows that - combat reflexes, or something?)...

Combat Reflexes allows you to take up to your Dex modifier "Attacks of opportunity" but they are against different opponents. Thus it would work just like everybody had it as each players dodge "resets" the AOO in Blood Bowl. Not that we have had discussions about this subject, no, never, honest :p

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2016 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

zhraia wrote:

3.5 was what I had in mind - I liked that edition.

Dalfort wrote:
Combat Reflexes allows you to take up to your Dex modifier "Attacks of opportunity" but they are against different opponents. Thus it would work just like everybody had it as each players dodge "resets" the AOO in Blood Bowl. Not that we have had discussions about this subject, no, never, honest :p

In a way, it might be more 'realistic', because if someone tries to run past you then you get one shot to tackle them, not 2 or 3. Although, that would probably make Elves and Skaven (or whatever their equivalent is) overpowered.

Obviously, without weapons, players would only be able to deal 'non-lethal' damage by blocking, or alternatively, they could attempt a 'trip' action. Could be interesting to have positionals with whips and nets and stuff like that, and I like the idea of players trying to sneak on daggers and clubs and risking being sent off. Monks might be overpowered a bit as well, if they can do lethal damage with their fists, but no-one else can (unless you have monsters with natural weapons).

Could be interesting to treat the positionals like character classes as well, so a L4 Skaven player could be 2 levels Storm Vermin, 1 level Gutter Runner and 1 level Mage.

xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2016 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

You could do a similar sort of thing using WFRP instead of D&D rules...

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2016 - 03:12 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
You could do a similar sort of thing using WFRP instead of D&D rules...

Good suggestion - Blood Bowl Roleplay! You could even play out some RPG shenanigans in between games. WFRP was ace! Smile

Although, I like the grainy mechanics in D&D, plus bringing in some of the D&D races/monsters could be pretty fun. Mind Flayer team anyone? More interested in your brains than the ball! Very Happy

delusional

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2016 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be pretty neat. We need to move past 6 sided dice. I have been playing allot of Kerrunch lately, it's crap. But having elfs that are say strength 65 vs orcs that are strength 80 makes allot more sense then str3 vs str3 (or str4 vs str3). I wonder if you could merge pathfinder characters into blood bowl teams. Aside from it taking ages, having players move on initiative would be interesting.
 Jump to: