42 coaches online • Server time: 11:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should Kick add +1 to AV break roll?
Yes
19%
 19%  [ 15 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 53 ]
Pie
11%
 11%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 77

pythrr

Post   Posted: May 21, 2016 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

kick is good. if u want to buff it, i would combine kick and kick return...

Post   Posted: May 21, 2016 - 03:53 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

That sort of thing would be a good option for resurrection. So that more skills become viable choices.

'Pass' package or 'kick' package being the same value as block, dodge, guard etc
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 21, 2016 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like that Kick added a -1 modifier to the opponent player trying to catch the ball when High Kick event happens or, alternatively, when the High Kick event happens, one of the players of the receiving team may move under the target square but he can't catch the ball and it scatters 1d3 squares from that point.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: May 21, 2016 - 04:18
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

Instead combine it with sneaky git. Fluffwise the guys feet are so fast ref never saw it. Not sure if itd still be a normal skill though
Grod

Post   Posted: May 21, 2016 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Lots of funny suggestions. From a balancepoint of view: kick is already an awesome skill and should be a high priority for every team.

Oscar Wilde
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 21, 2016 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
I think the kick skill needs a buff.

If you foul with a player who has kick it adds +1 to the AV break roll.

Kick is a great skill for many teams. What you mean to say is lets buff fouling somehow.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2016 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Surely all your kickers take Dirty Player anyway?

Post   Posted: May 21, 2016 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Lots of funny suggestions. From a balancepoint of view: kick is already an awesome skill and should be a high priority for every team.

Spoken like a dwarf coach with too many starting skills

I love the idea of buffing skills to try to get them even so we see more unique sides

I don't see why the kicker can't be in a wide zone or LoS. It's not like you fail to kick the ball at all if you don't place players there

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
plasmoid

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with DrDiscoStu (I think): BB is dominated by a handful of powerful skills. The rest just can't compete, and only become interesting (sort of) when your team has stocked up on the power skills.
Some teams start with a lot of the key skills and get there sooner. Some teams never get there.
Too bad, IMO.

Cheers
Martin
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

B_SIDE wrote:
Kick is a very good skill already. Buffing it seems silly.

This... It is one of the best skills in the game to dictate play from the opening rolls...

Said as a Stunty coach who often takes it first double on his Stunties...

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,
late to the party. Hopefully the thread isn't completely dead.
I love the thought of kickers in BB. I've come up with a handful of skills that could add kickers to BB without adding actual kicking rules. The kickers would be restricted to kick-offs and punting.

Their main use would no doubt be to make recovering kick-offs more difficult. This would mess with slow bashy/grindy teams, but would also make faster 2-turn offenses harder, and make 1-turn-scoring harder/impossible.

Let me know what you think Smile

First, as suggested in this thread, I'd merge Kick with another skill. But that skill would be HMP - which is not really used by throwers anyway, and quite elegantly emulates a punt. So:
(PS, the write-up is in shorthand, you get the idea I hope):

1. Kick (G): The player may use the team's Pass Action to Punt the ball. If the player is holding the ball at the end of his action, you may roll a d6. On a 1, the ball is fumbled. On a 2+ you may place the ball anywhere on thr pitch and roll for distance and direction as you would during a kick-off. Even if the ball is caught this results in a turnover.

Also, when this player kicks the ball (as a punt or during a kick-off) you may choose to halve the number of Squares that the ball scatters, rounding fractions down.

2. Accurate Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill. Whenever this player kicks the ball (as a Punt or during a Kick-off), you may place the Throw-In Template facing towards either sideline/endzone - and then use this placement for all scatter and bounce rolls until the ball has come to rest.

3. High Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill. Whenever this player kicks the ball (as a Punt or during a Kick-off), roll for scatter as normal, but the ball does not land/bounce until the end of the opposing team's next turn.

4. Squib Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill. Whenever this player kicks the ball (as a Punt or during a Kick-off), you may choose - before rolling for scatter - to make it a squib kick. In this case, a -1 modifier applies to all catch and pick-up rolls, until the ball has been succesfully recovered by a player from either team or has been thrown in by the crowd.

5. Dirty Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill.
Whenever this player does a foul and does not break armor, the victim of the foul is still stunned.

(I made Dirty Kick a fouling skill, rather than make it something a leaping wardancer could use).

Cheers
Martin
plasmoid

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

PS - a few thoughts on the old HMP + Dicing Catch combo. (Not that anybody used it).

Old 3-scatter-HMP has (AFAIK) a 50% chance of ending back up in the TZ of the intended receiver, thereby being catchable with diving catch.

On a standard Punt, that chance is also 50%. (a scatter-distance roll of 1-3).

If comboed further with accurate kick, and kicked right (just behind the reciever), then the odds increase to 61%.

Cheers
Martin
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like kick to be used along with an adjusted kick off table.

So, the kick off table would be structured 2 to 12, with 2 heavily benefiting the receiver and 12 heavily benefiting the kicker and 7 neutral. Any team with a kicker would be able to add +1 to the kick off roll (making the possible results 3 to 12).

Will never happen of course, but would be nice for the kick of table to be a little more structured.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, agree that its the kickoff table rather than the ick skill that needs to be adjusted. High Kick is just awful, like the game designers ran out of ideas. Actually quite a few of the kickoff results are like that...

I would rather see stuff like one team getting a bonus dirty trick card or players starting prone. So the random element is maintained but doe not gave quite so severe consequences...
deyempe

Post   Posted: May 28, 2016 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
harvestmouse wrote:
Yes. How about instead of buffing the skill, we get a 'kicker' positional back? Any team that has a 'lineman' player may upgrade a player to a kicker for......10/20k.

Comes with kick skill and has a 'kick' style attack, like kickers had in 2nd ed. Possibly a block that can't be combined with any skills (block, tackle, MB etc) but doesn't cause a turnover if failed?

Due to being this isn't so much a blocking contest, but a one sided attack that needs to be rebuffed. Kicker always goes prone after the attack.

There alot of potential for approx the same ammount of skills for kicking as in Passing category of skills, a 'Kicking' catagory of skills would be good alongside Kicking positional players as mentioned. Kickers get access to K skills.

Quote:
plasmoid said:
Hi all,
late to the party. Hopefully the thread isn't completely dead.
I love the thought of kickers in BB. I've come up with a handful of skills that could add kickers to BB without adding actual kicking rules. The kickers would be restricted to kick-offs and punting.

Their main use would no doubt be to make recovering kick-offs more difficult. This would mess with slow bashy/grindy teams, but would also make faster 2-turn offenses harder, and make 1-turn-scoring harder/impossible.

Let me know what you think Smile

First, as suggested in this thread, I'd merge Kick with another skill. But that skill would be HMP - which is not really used by throwers anyway, and quite elegantly emulates a punt. So:
(PS, the write-up is in shorthand, you get the idea I hope):

1. Kick (G): The player may use the team's Pass Action to Punt the ball. If the player is holding the ball at the end of his action, you may roll a d6. On a 1, the ball is fumbled. On a 2+ you may place the ball anywhere on thr pitch and roll for distance and direction as you would during a kick-off. Even if the ball is caught this results in a turnover.

Also, when this player kicks the ball (as a punt or during a kick-off) you may choose to halve the number of Squares that the ball scatters, rounding fractions down.

2. Accurate Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill. Whenever this player kicks the ball (as a Punt or during a Kick-off), you may place the Throw-In Template facing towards either sideline/endzone - and then use this placement for all scatter and bounce rolls until the ball has come to rest.

3. High Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill. Whenever this player kicks the ball (as a Punt or during a Kick-off), roll for scatter as normal, but the ball does not land/bounce until the end of the opposing team's next turn.

4. Squib Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill. Whenever this player kicks the ball (as a Punt or during a Kick-off), you may choose - before rolling for scatter - to make it a squib kick. In this case, a -1 modifier applies to all catch and pick-up rolls, until the ball has been succesfully recovered by a player from either team or has been thrown in by the crowd.

5. Dirty Kick (G): This skill may only be taken by a player who has the Kick skill.
Whenever this player does a foul and does not break armor, the victim of the foul is still stunned.

(I made Dirty Kick a fouling skill, rather than make it something a leaping wardancer could use).

Cheers
Martin

'Kick' should remain as is but I guess be renamed 'Punt', and the new skill be given the old name of 'Kick', and using the method you described. :~) However I would suggest this skill maybe be made to be similar to Dump-Off in the respect that it can only be done before a player with this skill recieves a block.

Skill

If the Kick Off Table was re-order somthing like this:

2.Throw a Rock
3.Blitz
4.Pitch Invasion
5.Quick Snap
6.High Kick
7.Riot
8.Changing Weather
9.Brilliant Coaching
10.Cheering Fans
11.Get The Ref

Id say this skill would be ok, Safe Kick:

+1 to Kick-Off Result. Additionally the Kicking team is able to use a team Re-roll to re-roll the Kick-Off Result.

Last edited by deyempe on May 28, 2016 - 15:28; edited 7 times in total
 Jump to: