39 coaches online • Server time: 10:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pinkskink

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Im about to get my own league stated within a few weeks. A few of my players are playing some re-fresher games and an issue came up in one of these "pre-season" games.

Player 2 took some heavy, heavy losses (it was chaos dwarves funnily enough). Player 1's dice where just on fire. If this was a league game, Player 2 would've had 3 hobgoblins and 1 Lineman left. What have league commissioners done in the past to compensate the player(s) who have to deal with these loses. Sure that player could easily re-roll if it was game one. What about game 8?

Also, does the rulebook address anything about coaches firing players when their roster is already under 11 players before the firing occurs?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

What rulepack are you using?
pinkskink

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB 6
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The rules allow for you to sack players. As this was a warmer game why not wipe it for the CDs?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The rules allow for you to sack players. As this was a warmer game why not wipe it for the CDs?
licker

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Is this for a TT league or for an online league? I only ask because clearly for TT you can sort of 'do whatever everyone agrees is worth doing' while for online you are limited by what functionality the client allows you.

I'm also confused about your poor CD team. They literally had 7 players die/take permanent injuries? Well of course that can happen, but that's pretty extreme.

Otherwise it's just wise to cover certain possibilities ahead of time so everyone knows what to expect. I'm in the 'if it happens it happens' camp, and would not really be in favor of handing out freebies to teams with bad luck, unless there was a predecided mechanism for it. I'd also keep league seasons 'short' so that even if you do get wrecked early on, you're not suffering through another 10+ games with that team (8 game seasons seem nice to me).

The rulebook doesn't say anything about when you can or cannot fire, you can fire down to zero players if you want and use nothing but j-men (don't let FUMBBL house rules tell you otherwise), though I would imagine this is not something you would want to happen in your league. But basically I assume you are talking about removing injured players. If so then there are leagues which do not allow them to be fired, but that's a house rule. Blood bowl leagues can (and probably should) be full of house rules to suit the desires of the participants in the league.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

If there were several permanent injuries and deaths I would recommend either resetting the team to before it played any matches, or even saying all teams are reset. Do you really want some teams to be better rated than others before even the first game of the league? Maybe the refresher games should be to get back into how the game and tactics work rather than team development.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Am I right in thinking that you aren't concerned about the effect in the refresher game, but about the hypothetical event that it could happen during the actual season? If so, well early in the season (games 1 or 2) I'd let them start afresh with a brand new team. The slight lag behind everyone else's development wouldn't be a big issue.

Late in the season though, I'd say, well, tough. Thats what jmen are for. Starting with a rookie team would be just as bad as using the jmen, and you don't want to encourage players to get into the habit of restarting just because they lost their favourite player, or got bored of the team/race/player names/paintjob/whatever.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

yes in the case of the example game above, this was just a "pick-up" game that had no impact on the upcoming season. Yes the CD player had three deaths occur, one -1S, one -1A (on a Bull Centaur) and two more miss next game... it was almost comical. but it did raise a question in a "what if" scenario.
it is also in a TT leageue and we realize that house rules will need to be implemented, but where and when, and if they even should be is what we are trying to figure out. Thank you for the imput guys
pinkskink

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

as for the firing; a hypothetical situation could occur. Lets use Skaven in this example. A coach could fire every Lineman he had (because its skaven linemen who cares if they die and its better if a journeyman lineman dies).and buy loads of inducements every game because of the extreme TV differences
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are the commissioner then the rules say whatever you want them to say.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

RE the skaven linemen point. The journeymen still count for TV and have loner so are worse than rookies for the same price. One or two skill linos are probably worth their TV anyway so I don't see why this is a good idea

Last edited by Seventyone on Jun 03, 2016 - 20:36; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

pinkskink wrote:
as for the firing; a hypothetical situation could occur. Lets use Skaven in this example. A coach could fire every Lineman he had (because its skaven linemen who cares if they die and its better if a journeyman lineman dies).and buy loads of inducements every game because of the extreme TV differences

The thing there is that jmen are the same TV as rostered linos. If you mean firing skilled linos to save TV, that's totally fine.

And although using jmen when you have the cash to buy rookies so that you can use petty cash to buy inducements is a bit shady, that is a) totally fluffy for the likes of skaven, and b) gives the opponent a load of inducements too.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
If you are the commissioner then the rules say whatever you want them to say.

Pretty much.

Though clearly you would need the support of the other people in your league else you would be the commissioner of a 1 team league Smile

I wouldn't even worry about the mass casualty issue, it should be pretty rare, and even when it does happen in smaller doses over several games, it's just part of the joys of a season of blood bowl. Someone is going to be lucky with their skill rolls, someone is going to be unlucky with casualties. So unless you want to run resurrection/fixed progression style, you have to accept that there will be imbalances though the games.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

One option as a commissioner is to act more like an GM/DM and have "events" outside (or even inside) the games. So a skilled player turns up for the team that just got ravaged, or lightning strikes the stadium of the team that are way out in front, or bandits kidnap their best player and ransom him for slightly more cash than they have in treasury, so they have to do without him for a game or two, etc. You do need to be careful with that sort of thing though, both not to unbalance things too much, and not to upset any of your coaches...