25 coaches online • Server time: 08:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Marasai

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

OK so I've played a fair share of box and league games but not much ranked. I'm north american timezone so I'm a little worried about finding matches. However I'd like to add a couple ranked teams for eventual use in minors and so on. However with the reputation of ranked player cherry picking I'm a little worried about getting decent matches.

What then would he a good team to choose?

Not interested in humans or necro as ive played the. A bunch
Also im pretty weak at elfing so far
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I've also been sticking to the box for awhile and will someday soon try ranked.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

High Elf or Elf or Skaven for 1... almost anybody will play against Elves or Rats.
Woodies some people hate to play against and Dark Elf are too numerous already... but I would add them to the list IF you don't do what everybody else does... Linemen and Blitzers only or almost exclusively. IF you think you'd like to use 3 or more of the av7 players then use Dark Elves.

Vanpires, Norse, Flings, Gobbos get tons of offers too. Anything not too bashy will get tons of offers. If you will accept those offers you will get plenty games.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Make and ELF team and join Elves Leaving the Forest group, these teams I find have little problems getting games in Ranked and of course gives you something to play for when only getting crappy offers etc

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I would suggest undead and chaos.

offer the chaos to the coaches who insist on only playing bashy team races, offer the undead to the regular coaches.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

NO PICKING IN RANKED

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The picking is just a thing, but it's a thing you have some control over if you don't choose to pick.

I choose to pick a lot myself (probably not for the reasons I'm accused of, but I honestly do not care what anyone thinks of how I choose to play my R teams), but you can probably get games as easily as you can in B (since B is a often a wasteland for NA evenings). It's usually very easy to get games with lower TV teams anyway, I find the picking really only gets stupid as you pass ~1500, but that's with just about any team.

I wouldn't worry too much about what team(s) to play. If you make 3 different ones and put all 3 up on game finder you can offer all three to the same coaches and let them pick which one of the three they want to play.

That works up until you really really just want to play one of them, in which case, only put that one up. Of course you may not get matches as quickly that way, but that's the beauty (such as it is) of R.

My suggestion is if you struggle with elf teams, make an elf team and play it for a while, do some picking if you find matchups you cannot handle, until you realize that those are the games you need to pick so that you can figure out how you're supposed to handle them Smile

Also, consider joining a league or three, there are several NA/SA time zone leagues, and while not all of them may have openings, they can be another really good place to learn the intricacies of certain teams you don't do well with. Both NWFL and NBFL are coming into their playoffs, so new seasons will be starting in a month or so, there might be openings in one or both, but both have wait lists you can get on at least if you think you would be interested. They are both great leagues well run by excellent commissioners with active players (for the most part, of course some seasons there are some drops).

It also gives you a different group of coaches to play with and discuss things with, I know that hanging out in #NBFL after I joined it (years ago now) was a great place for me to pick the brains of some of the better coaches around.
Beanchilla

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2016 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm amazed you get box games during north american evenings. I rarely get anything there but maybe it's because my teams are fresher and have that TV limit.

It's not hard to get decent matches in ranked. Just pick a team you like and queue up against games that look fun. If it's obvious someone is trying to pick you deny it. If you get a fair challenge accept it. You'll be fine and in my experience you'll find a lot more games that way too.

Here's a great resource for all sorts of Fumbbl images!
Silent_Hastati

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2016 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Beanchilla wrote:
I'm amazed you get box games during north american evenings. I rarely get anything there but maybe it's because my teams are fresher and have that TV limit.

It's not hard to get decent matches in ranked. Just pick a team you like and queue up against games that look fun. If it's obvious someone is trying to pick you deny it. If you get a fair challenge accept it. You'll be fine and in my experience you'll find a lot more games that way too.

Pretty much this. In ranked if I'm putting 5 teams up, and the guy with nothing but murder teams says no to everything but the goblin team and elf team, he can sod off. I'll go play the guy who gave me a fair selection, even if I end up facing dwarves in the end anyway.

Been too busy managing a league though these days.

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2016 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

So what I'm getting is that I need to put together several teams and see what gets offered games.
licker

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2016 - 06:34 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't need to make several teams, but doing so should increase the rate with which you get games.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2016 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, has the forum propaganda really got so bad that someone is worried about trying R, having played in B?

It is really not that difficult. Ignore the forum, and just play Blood Bowl. Crikey.
licker

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2016 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The odd thing to me is you can try R no issues, and just decline any/all games you don't want.

You can even activate for B while you are on game finder so that you will be sure to get a game on either. Of course the issue there is accepting the R game before you exit the B pool and winding up with 2 games, but the solution is to not accept any R games until after the B draw has run.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2016 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're in the NA timezone, to be quite frank, you end up playing whatever you can get, or you don't play at all.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2016 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
If you're in the NA timezone, to be quite frank, you end up playing whatever you can get, or you don't play at all.

It's not quite so bad if you are east coast (and play earlyish).

It's a complete disaster if you are west coast though.

Why there aren't more chinese and russians to play though I don't know. Someone needs to get them going!
 Jump to: