57 coaches online • Server time: 23:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SeriliKirico

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Saw the idea elsewhere, like it, and got interested in discussing it in more depth.

The idea:
Add extra Apo-like limited shots a team can use to turn a CAS result into KO (won't turn KO into stunned like Apo, also won't work on Dead result). The amount of rolls will depend on team's tier and type (a rule of thumb is the more brittle a team the more it gets).

The reason behind it:
To moderate randomness a bit better, preventing a surge of bad rolls from ruining the game for one of the teams. The amount of these new "Apo-like shots" should be selected in such way it would still allow bad coaches to be punished for bad decisions (basing excessively, making too many risky actions etc). It's less of an issue if bunch of your players are KOed, as some of them still can get back and play in next drive(s), lessening the snowballing effect completely ruining fun for one of the coaches, forcing them to endure a boring game they can't change for another 40 minutes.

As this will reduce attrition caused by in-match injuries, attrition during re-draft will need to be boosted a bit. May be even some random factor could be added there instead, like, your player may suddenly ask for much higher pay increase (based on d6 roll). It's much less of an issue at that stage if you lose him, after all, the main gameplay happens on the pitch, and games are supposed to be fun.

Last edited by SeriliKirico on %b %14, %2024 - %20:%Mar; edited 2 times in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a simple idea to reduce Casualties, just change the Injury table like this:

Injury Table (2D6)
2-8: Stunned
9-10: KO (Thick Skull turns KO into Stunned on a 4+)
11+: CAS

and the Casualty table like this, with BH back to 50% chance again:

Casualty Table (D16)
1-8: Badly Hurt
9-10: Seriously Hurt (MNG)
11-12: Seriously Injured (NI)*
13-14: Lasting Injury (-Stat)
15-16: Dead

*Each Niggling Injury adds +2 to D16 roll on Casualty Table (the rationale behind the +2, instead of the normal +1, is trading the reduced amount of Casualties with more severe Injuries).

About the Apo: I'd like an Apo not used when the re-rolled Injury is worse than the original Injury.
So, for example, if a SI player is healed by the Apo to either SI (NI) or Lasting Injury or Dead then he's not used and you can try again to heal another Injured player later. When the Apo successfully heals a player then he (the Apo) can't be used anymore for that game.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %14, %2024 - %20:%Mar; edited 9 times in total
SeriliKirico

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

@MattDakka

Yea, but that takes the control from the coaches. Also, it would be an universal change then, that cannot be balanced easily on per-team basis - and some teams will benefit from it too much as they don't break that much in the first place, even when rolling badly.

Just seems a bit more interesting to decide when to intervene to save somebody yourself too, it's about decision-making, so good for a tactical game.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be a change taking into account the fact that with Mighty Blow breaking AV (especially AV 8+ or lower) and then rolling a 10+ is too easy and it's the main reason Casualties are too common.

About the control from coaches: there are many Regeneration teams which don't have control about healing players, doesn't seem to me a big issue.
By the way, there is control, because you can decide to use the Apo or not on a specific injured player.
If a fodder player gets injured you are not forced to use the Apo. With my Apo version just you don't waste him in case of failed healing.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %14, %2024 - %20:%Mar; edited 2 times in total
SeriliKirico

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

@MattDakka

Regarding the regen teams, they don't have it as they have the trait on half of the team (or more) anyway - and it's already accounted for in how they are balanced in other departments against other teams. For example, Undeads have it on some players, but don't have it on Ghouls which are vital for winning - and also don't have Apo. So they can't patch a Ghoul in any way at all, it's a trade off, and just for them.

When it comes to changes that affect things all over the board, I would proceed with great caution. The original idea's benefit is that it allows for great flexibility as it differs on per team basis.

I liked your idea for the Apo rework though - definetely would be better that way.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Ghouls don't have Regeneration due to fluff reason, I think. In the lore they are not really Undead (in the not-alive meaning) but they play on Undead teams.
In WHFB 4th edition there were originally corpse-eating men who, over time, became Ghouls.
Later, in Vampire Counts' Army Book they were considered Undead, although they are technically alive.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

In AoS, ghouls are in Flesh-eater Courts, are actually Brets affected by a curse that's sent them mad, and they don't realise what monsters they've become. or something
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know AoS, but, according to the lore I know from previous WHFB editions, they were alive.
Ugly, monstrous creatures, but alive.
dementor42

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
and the Casualty table like this, with BH back to 50% chance again:

Casualty Table (D16)
1-8: Badly Hurt
9-10: Seriously Hurt (MNG)
11-12: Seriously Injured (NI)*
13-14: Lasting Injury (-Stat)
15-16: Dead

*Each Niggling Injury adds +2 to D16 roll on Casualty Table (the rationale behind the +2, instead of the normal +1, is trading the reduced amount of Casualties with more severe Injuries).

Slight nitpick, but then we should just use d8 for cas table (like we should use d8 for all things blood bowl Twisted Evil) and then niggles give +1 to the roll.

Tbh, I really like this suggestion. But GW will never implement less blood and gore into their beer and pretzels game, at least intentionally.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yes, a D8 and a +1 per NI, as you said.
Otherwise, on the D16 table, result 11 could be 1 Niggling Injury, while result 12 could be 2 Niggling Injuries.
That could be an alternative.
The important thing is having BH at 50% again.
DoctorMidnight

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
I don't know AoS, but, according to the lore I know from previous WHFB editions, they were alive.
Ugly, monstrous creatures, but alive.

I'm a huge fan of the WarHammer TT RPG (1st ed. is the best!), and, as stated by Matt', the ghouls are.... alive.
That's the reason why they don't have Regen' in BB (I guess).
Prez

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

dementor42 wrote:

Tbh, I really like this suggestion. But GW will never implement less blood and gore into their beer and pretzels game, at least intentionally.

What wrong with blood and gore. It is 'blood' bowl after all.

The game is going woke enough as it is

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the number of cas. I wish there was less mng.
I dont bother with the apo, its bad.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, it's Blood Bowl, not Carnage Bowl. Some blood is ok, when too much blood turns a match into a wasted hour, where you can just watch your opponent playing without being able to defend/attack, it's not a game anymore.
A game is supposed to be played by 2 people. Too many Casualties make that impossible.
We could have more reserves or 11 players assured at start of 2nd half. There would still be blood (even more blood, with 11 players assured).
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Developed elves always score in a half where they start with 11 players. (Obviously not actually true, but a reasonable assumption to base your game plan around if you are playing against the elves.)

Given that i dont think its 'too many casualties.'

Sure there are games that take it too far, but those are the exception, not what ypu base game changes around.

Last edited by Nelphine on %b %15, %2024 - %02:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: