34 coaches online • Server time: 15:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2016 - 03:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:

Perhaps the answer is to dial down some of the inducements? Babes and wizards, for example, could be made more expensive? Complicated rules are generally not the best way to fix balance issues.

Unlikely.. I'm not sure large rosters were really that favored in lrb4 and are that avoided now. I guess I've been striving for 13-14 players in both rulesets. The biggest difference is that 11 players are probably more viable now than they used to be. Banking didn't really work in lrb4 so the pressure was high to always spend everything. If you were running an 11 player squad and got an injury chances were high you'd end up outnumbered. Outnumbered teams weren't very competitive especially since handicaps were too random to rely on. That's not the case at all anymore.

But the probably greatest difference I see in the cost ratio of players vs skills. Skills are simply the highest value TV investment. That's why you want to stack up on skills and keep your roster small.
The size of rosters could increase if either: skills were more expensive or players were cheaper. So the original suggestion has merit.

What I don't like is to evaluate a zombie rebate and a high elf one alike because in the end it just makes it even more attractive for the zombie coach to run a larger squad whereas the high elf coach will struggle even more to add players. Because now that his opponent can add players so cheaply it really makes no sense anymore for him to pay 2.5 times as much. He's better off with a lower squad instead.

But ok, from of all the other ideas I did (only) like morehouse ones. To be able to deactivate players. I have often thought that would make a lot of sense and would be upon such an implementation even much more open to a bank rule.
morehouse

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2016 - 04:04 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

I think though you have to look at what exactly is the problem stopping players using larger rosters. These are:

1. TV matching making and handicapping.
2. No incentive to grow.
3. Spiralling Expenses.

Well yes. I really don't like TV or spiraling expenses in the first place. Inducements over handicaps are great but I would like to go back to TR and no SE.
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2016 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
In Lrb 4 and prior, it was common to maintain large benches. It is only with the latest inducement system that 11 player rosters were seen as more ideal.

Woah woah woah...

Who says that 11 player rosters are ideal? There is a sub set of min/max or sweet spotters who use them, but do they actually win at a rate greater than expected? Do they win at a rate better than a 12 or 13 player roster?

But the point is still that certain teams in certain metas (so not R basically) are going to struggle to keep an 11 man roster let alone ever afford the luxury of a 12 man roster.

That's not an issue of TV management, it's an issue of the design of the game at the moment.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2016 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think another point you have to consider. Is that some teams (e.g. Elven teams) shouldn't be able to have the luxury of fielding 16 players all the time. If they did, they'd dominate (I know this as I've been playing this system for a few years, and the are dominating). However they should (in my opinion) strive to reach 16 and be able to do so at times, before being knocked back down to size. It's very difficult, but I'd like to see where it's more beneficial to try to get to 16 before the 'saving for a rainy day' scenario you get now.
 Jump to: