32 coaches online • Server time: 10:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2016 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

This forum is for 145 club members to discuss questions, tactics, queries, etc.

Feel free to contribute but please keep in mind that newer coaches may not have the understanding some of you do! Smile

Thanks

T

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2016 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

A 145 thread, nice!

Can i ask some suggestions about TV management? For example, my undead team https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=851942 is starting to stack money that i'm not sure how to spend. An idea could be buy an other reroll but maybe is not necessary considering the necessity of keeping the TV down.

A suggestion and/or links to previous threads could be great!
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2016 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't worry about hoarding money with undead. As you run with 4 ghouls you will find yourself replacing them on a regular basis as they go splat easily.

3 RR's is fine for most teams up to about 1800TV, all depends on your play style though. Undead are built for a nice slow grind so you shouldn't really be taking any unnecessary risks.

Personally I run with 1 or 2 ghouls max. 1 ghoul will be your dedicated ball handled with surehands, block, sidestep and any +AG or +Ma he rolls. Second ghoul I would build as a ball hawk with wrestle, strip ball and pray for +AG.

Running a bench with undead is always a good idea as zombies are cheap DP fodder. Control the middle of the pitch with your mummies and then foul your opponents stars.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2016 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I always like investing in a deep bench but that's because I tend to play as squishy races (Amazons, Elves etc.). I tend to put extra money into re-rolls because they're a permanent investment (unlike players) unless I'm saving for a specific player - considering you're not saving up for a big expensive positional, like a second Mummy, maybe taking the extra re-roll might not be a bad idea?
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2016 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I really wouldn't worry about running out of cash with undead. Usually 10 games in you'll find you have a substantial balance, and it rarely does anything but increase. The richest team on FUMBBL is my all zombie roster. Regen' is a lovely skill Very Happy

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2016 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

JPCasey wrote:
I always like investing in a deep bench but that's because I tend to play as squishy races (Amazons, Elves etc.). I tend to put extra money into re-rolls because they're a permanent investment (unlike players) unless I'm saving for a specific player - considering you're not saving up for a big expensive positional, like a second Mummy, maybe taking the extra re-roll might not be a bad idea?

I think for Fanky's Undead team 3 re-rolls is about right. At least in our match, he didn't run out of re-rolls and is fairly conservative in their use (not re-rolling pushes, etc.) He also has a fair amount of block & dodge to mitigate the re-roll use.

I (try to) play my rotters like elves which means I'm taking more risks trying to extract the ball etc. Rotters also don't have much in the way of block or dodge skills so I need to run them with 5 re-rolls as well as cheerleaders and coaches just to have a chance. I'll probably lower the re-roll amount if they get to a bit higher TV though.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2016 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea with controlling TV is this - you are not trying "to keep it as low as possible", you are trying to make it "efficient".

Only you can really tell what's best for you - as an example, team rerolls are basically translatable to in-game flexibility: aside from whimiscally being able to re-roll potentially non-critical actions (eg. push-rerolling on non-ballcarrier players), having a reroll cushion allows you play much more aggressively.

In terms of hoarding gold - don't think you've got to spend it because you have it. If you're comfortable on 3 rerolls stick there.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

What would be a good build for my very first Halfling team at TV1000?

Discord: NerdFrog (UTC-7)#5713
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/NerdFrog1/
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

you might check out this page. Personally I have no experience playing as Halflings though I'm sure eventually someone will chime in who does.
NerdFrog

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
you might check out this page.

Thanks!

ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Where are you planning on playing them?

Here on Fumbbl: inside a league system (open or scheduled) like 145 where you know your next opponents you can obviously start at 600-800TV and utilise the chef in inducements alongside any stars you might also be able to afford.

The chef can be a great boon both in terms of boosting your rerolls, but also protecting your players - one of the great problems playing stunties is that almost every turn you are going to be in a position where you are forced to make several moves that have a 1/9 shot of failure, and the order in which you make them is critical. By stealing some of your opponent's rerolls, you also hopefully leave them in a position where the threat of 1/9 is non-trivial, forcing them to play less aggressively. This particular trick loses effectiveness as opposition gain skills obviously.

I would not recommend the 600k roster for a new coach, simply because, while it's probably potentially the best roster for an experienced coach vs a tv1000k team (you'd take deeproot and the chef), it's also quite possible to be left with 1 reroll if the chef fails, or wind up playing a tv 990/980k team and be unable to take Deeproot, at which point the fragility and weaknesses of the flings is really quite exposed if you're not already quite familiar with the move orders and strategies you should employ with them.

If you're able to select your opponents (eg. open league such as 145), then if you want, a roster of around 700+ gives you the same advantages of the 600k TV start with some more rerolls and you just play a team at 1.1M TV first if you want deeproot etc.

But you're probably still just going to want to take a 14/15 (2 trees, 12/13 flings) strong squad, with 4-5 rerolls, apo and just get used to them before you start playing that game.

In a perpetual division like ranked or box, you're actually kind of hamstrung on lower TV options by the %tv difference bands. So you need to make a ~960-1000k TV team just to be able to get a game in a reasonable timeframe. With that sort of input in gold you might as well get 13 flings, 2 trees, as many rerolls as you want, apo and yeah, you get the picture. In box especially can't expect inducements at all and will frequently find yourself relying on what you have rostered.

I wouldn't buy FF on fling teams unless I was attempting a tabletop tournament build (in which case I might be making a low TV team, taking the chef, taking assistant + cheerleader and then some fanfactor to hopefully steal rerolls and deny any from kickoff, but there are still better options for that TV imo).

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

All right, thank you all for the suggestions! : )
NerdFrog

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
Where are you planning on playing them?

Pertinent question followed by excellent answers! Thank you!
(It'll be a halfling-only league with 1000TV minimum so RRs and Apo will be critical. Chef may come in to play later between lucky and unlucky teams, but TV difference will likely be carefully managed by coaches!)

More good coaching advice for different teams has been collected here:
http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/LRB6Playbooks.htm

ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be careful with plasmoid's playbooks. Not all of them are up to date, and not all of them contain advice that is completely valid (in my opinion). The quality of advice also varies quite widely by author.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2016 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Just weathered a savage, but fun, 2-1 loss against Rbthma's rotters (https://fumbbl.com/ffblive.jnlp?replay=888359, check out the first two turns, at least!), and rolled a +ST on my ogre for his skill-up.

Now, I know the sensible option looking at the maths is to take Block, but I want a S6 ogre 'cos I've never had one before!

...anyone more experienced want to talk me in/out of it? Wink