18 coaches online • Server time: 06:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2016 - 05:45
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Another bug rediscovered today. Not a common one. If the ball is passed to an empty square, and a Pass Blocker moves to this square using the skill, then the game will crash. Unrecoverable.
tussock

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2016 - 07:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Further to that, Pass Block can also move you adjacent to the receiver on a strait-line pass, because it only checks if you're getting under the range ruler. That is not a valid intercept square though, so will similarly lock up the game if it's your third square of movement.

The key bit being, you must finish closer to the thrower than the target square is.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2017 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm unclear on the coulds and shoulds in this thread. The site rules say:
1. If the client does something wrong in the result calculations it is considered as an interpretation of the rules and the match stands as-is. This includes out-of-sync type problems which make the client end the game prematurely.
2. Abusing obvious bugs for your own benefit is not allowed.

The first leads me to think for example that a reroll I'm given, even though the LRB states it shouldn't be possible, is the client's interpretation. If my opponent wins a tournament match using it the problem's happened before I have time to say anything, and the result looks likely to stand. The second urges me not to use it myself though. Are forum readers a disadvantaged lot? Are the "recommendations" on starting post 'CRP breakers' "binding"? Who says?

Edit: Shouldn't there be at least an infomercial of these additions to rules in the site rules themselves, if these carry the weight of being binding but starting from the moment you read about them?
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2017 - 17:14
FUMBBL Staff

Quote:
1. If the client does something wrong in the result calculations it is considered as an interpretation of the rules and the match stands as-is. This includes out-of-sync type problems which make the client end the game prematurely.

This refers to the results actually uploaded to the Fumbbl site after the match has finished. We don't have any good way to undo a match that has been uploaded to the site. Consequently, if the results are wrong that generally stands. This sentence of the rules does not refer to in-game actions that coaches are making.

Quote:
2. Abusing obvious bugs for your own benefit is not allowed.

When bugs happen, we expect coaches to do their best to handle those bugs in a fair manner. Sometimes there are multiple possible ways to deal with a particular bug. Coaches may disagree about what to do, and in that case Security Officers end up making a decision.

Security Officers have few options - usually it's either 1) Cancel the match or 2) Play on. Sometimes it's appropriate to use 3) Click the Finish Match button to force the match to upload with the current score. Since those results often lead to unhappy coaches, this list is an attempt to help coaches avoid or deal with these bugs.

For your question about what happens if a coach doesn't know, the usual path is for the other coach to protest and submit a support ticket asking for a ruling. If it happened during an Official Tournament, you would contact the tournament officer for your match.

When you ask if forum readers are disadvantaged, it's probably the other way around. Forum readers promptly protest the use of a team reroll on a Blitz to catch the kickoff, stop the match, and submit a support ticket to get a ruling. The non-forum reading coach who uses the team reroll to catch the kickoff is likely to be disappointed if his game is cancelled when it was going so well.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2017 - 18:32
FUMBBL Staff

Victim of block shadowing the blocker bug should be resolved, per latest FFB notes. Can we get someone to test and then update our notes in the first post?

Here's a link to the updated FFB notes:

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=702829#702829
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2017 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I manage to miss this thread, apparently. But I'd like to give a big thank you to @ramchop and @Kryten for their work. It's much appreciated.

To be able to fix a bug AT ALL it needs to be reproducable. So I need some sort of instruction on how I can get to the game situation that causes the error. Once I have that, I can go ahead and try to find the cause for the problem in the code. Change the code. And retry to reproduce the bug. Rinse. Repeat. etc.

Last edited by Kalimar on Mar 07, 2017 - 20:30; edited 1 time in total
sann0638

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2017 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Good that you are here now! Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2017 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, sidestep/shadowing and grab/shadowing confirmed as safe and functional, can go off the list.

I'll have a go at exact steps today for a few of 'em.

One that's easy to replicate and bad is Eldril's bug. If a player with Hypotic Gaze and Pass Block goes for a Pass Block move but falls before being in a valid Pass Block finishing square, the game stops responding.

Last edited by tussock on Mar 08, 2017 - 03:25; edited 1 time in total
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2017 - 03:13
FUMBBL Staff

Fantastic! That's one of the game breakers. Thanks for confirming the fix tussock, and of course thanks Kalimar for fixing it.

The following has been removed from the OP:
"1) Shadowing & Side stepping or Grab Do not use Shadowing on the blocker who just hit you, via Side Step or via Grab. The game enters an invalid state and cannot be recovered. NB: Any other player shadowing a block follow up is fine, just not the target of the block. This is game breaking.
Fix - Do not Shadow the blocker with the player that got blocked.
"
tussock

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2017 - 04:04 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, some the exact steps that will trigger the Vamp end turn bug.

Pickup and pass the ball with one vampire to another, no fails.
Catching Vamp immediately takes a move action, snaking the bloodlust via team RR.
With some movement used and some remaining, get next to a thrall and click end move to bite.

Thrall was KO with 44 on dice, may not matter. Vamp appears active and will let you try to move further, which does not work. You have to manually click end turn on him again to have anything happen, and doing so will end the team turn instead.

I recall rejoining the game after the bite will bypass the bug, haven't tested workaround.

Edit 1: Checking other reports of this bug, it may be any bloodlust fail after a vamp passes to another vamp and the catching vamp then moves. A third vamp then failing bloodlust with or without RRs can trigger the end turn bug on any action.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2017 - 05:49 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're jump-up blocking with a bloodluster, and fail the bloodlust (and don't reroll to success), your turn will end after you feed.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2017 - 06:09
FUMBBL Staff

Sinnyil wrote:
If you're jump-up blocking with a bloodluster, and fail the bloodlust (and don't reroll to success), your turn will end after you feed.

You should at least create a bug report and link us to the match where it happened.
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2017 - 02:36
FUMBBL Staff

If you don't keep track of news postings, there is now a completely new bug reporting system on the site. These bugs could well do with being added to the new system.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2017 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
there is now a completely new bug reporting system on the site.

This is great! Love the simplification and clean slate.

Just a thought. Is having a dedicated form field for "steps to recreate" an idea? Anyway, great to see bugs being squashed again. Infinite kudos to yourself and Kalimar.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2017 - 08:11
FUMBBL Staff

tussock wrote:
OK, some the exact steps that will trigger the Vamp end turn bug.

Pickup and pass the ball with one vampire to another, no fails.
Catching Vamp immediately takes a move action, snaking the bloodlust via team RR.
With some movement used and some remaining, get next to a thrall and click end move to bite.

Thrall was KO with 44 on dice, may not matter. Vamp appears active and will let you try to move further, which does not work. You have to manually click end turn on him again to have anything happen, and doing so will end the team turn instead.

I recall rejoining the game after the bite will bypass the bug, haven't tested workaround.

Edit 1: Checking other reports of this bug, it may be any bloodlust fail after a vamp passes to another vamp and the catching vamp then moves. A third vamp then failing bloodlust with or without RRs can trigger the end turn bug on any action.

Great work tracking this down tussock.

This is probably the wrong place to put it, but I just spent a while on test mode and writing up on the new bugs page, only for my report to not show up there (does it need admin approval before publishing?).

The bug:
Vampire catches the ball during his turn (from anyone or anything: pass, handoff, bounce pass - but not kick). If the catching vampire blood lusts, the turn will end after he bites a thrall.

Fixes:
- If another vampire bites a thrall before the catching vampire moves (and also bites a thrall), there is no turn ender.
- RR the catcher's blood lust, and don't roll a one
 Jump to: