25 coaches online • Server time: 03:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you like this feature idea?
Strongly agree
23%
 23%  [ 11 ]
Slightly agree
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Neutral
21%
 21%  [ 10 ]
Slightly disagree
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Strongly disagree
31%
 31%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 47

Breadshaped

Post 3 Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey everyone,

Usually, I have no problem finishing my turn within the 4 minute time limit. I have found the FUMBBL community to be extremely obliging when I have the rare turn that requires a bit more thinking and planning; 99% of the time coaches will not use the timeout feature, even when they would catch me with an extremely vulnerable player layout and I try to return this kindness by not timing them out either.

Why is this a problem? This results in an expectation of safety on the pitch because of the high level of politeness and coach friendliness. I played a game where a coach immediately timed me out at 4 minutes when I tried to do some complex planning to make the ball safe when I was already at a disadvantage. I don't fault the coach for using a built in feature in the game but I was clearly exposed after they did it.

What do I suggest? Remove the ambiguity in timeouts. I would like to know exactly when I am going to run out of time but I would also like to have an oppourtunity to have more time for the turns that require more than simple caging and blocks. The timer feature in Blood Bowl 3 would make a great addition to FUMBBL:

1. Each turn has a 2/3 minute time limit.

2. After 2/3 minutes you begin to drain a 7-minute "timeout pool" which is persistent for each coach over the whole match.

3. If the "timeout pool" drains to 0:00, there will be an automatic turnover.

4. (optional) A ticking clock sound effect plays while you are draining the timeout pool to encourage coaches to wrap up their turn.

So please comment below or vote in the poll to let me know what you think. Thanks for reading.
Calcium

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I am a very fast player that normally plays within a minute, and even in the most difficult turns I'm done within 2 - I don't think however this is the norm so although I'm always up for the timer being reduced with a time bank I think that it probably won't happen on FUMBBL anytime soon as I don't think the existing system is a bad one at all.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

following Pareto's principle, we could solve 80% of the issue by acting on the 20% of coaches abusing the current system because

Calcium wrote:
[...]I don't think the existing system is a bad one at all.

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea, but I would increase the bonus time pool from 7 to 8 minutes.
So, turn timer set at 3 minutes, time pool of 8 minutes.
That means an overall average of 3:30 minutes per turn.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

awambawamb wrote:
following Pareto's principle, we could solve 80% of the issue by acting on the 20% of coaches abusing the current system because

Calcium wrote:
[...]I don't think the existing system is a bad one at all.

Is the current system being abused? Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

So if you have this auto time-management idea, would you need to get some sort of admin intervention to repair the clock situation every time someone has a connection problem/has to answer the doorbell/run and deal with their kid or whatever?

Instead of the current solution which is that the other coach simply doesn't be a dick and refrains from pressing the timeout button "just because it's there".
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

There's a recent 20+ page thread on this here
https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=32650&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270

As you can imagine it went really well.
RDaneel

Post 14 Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I have already expressed my opinion in this forum we discussed for 21 pages
https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=32650

There is no rule that says in competitive division, or in the world championship or in NAF that an automatic or "must" timeout should happen at 4 minute sharp. The timeout button is a FUMBBL function you have the right to use it but there are no rules and everyone does as they please.

Personally, I do in this way: at the beginning of the game I usually ask the coach I'm playing against what he wants to do with the timeout and then I adjust accordingly
And in general I ALWAYS give my opponent possibility to play ONE turn over 4 minutes per game (unless I know he is a "merciless timeouter" in which case I would call him mercilessly too)

having said that In the specifics of the survey:
There must be a limit for online games we all agree. The idea of having a time budget that can be used for some critical drive, keeping the "average" turn time in reasonable level see my support.

Although I think it is not so trivial to implement on a technical level (not clear how to solve the BRB, AFK and we cannot demand anything from those who make this site available for free we can only thank them).

But , assuming technically feasible I have tendency to agree with the idea (not exactly with the definition of the times you gave but this can be discussed later)
Chingis

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the basic problem is that it's an attempt at trying to think of absolute technical solutions to what is a social problem. Those never work.

You might for instance consider which is the biggest common problem:
a) people being jerks and griefing opponents by wasting their time, or
b) people being jerks and misusing tools designed to prevent a) for competitive advantage/malice.

If a) was a really huge problem, you could auto-timeout everyone and try and manually deal with the few honest coaches unfairly caught up by it. If b) was really huge, you could remove timeouts entirely and manually deal with the few time griefers.

The current system tries to walk a line between them, and is reliant on players being normal, well-adjusted, collaborative human beings and using the tool responsibly to deal with a) and not b). But you always have to rely on that discretion at some point in the process, it's just at a different place in each potential system (although significantly the current system puts that onus on players and not the poor admins, which'd be the case in the other scenarios!).
Storr

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Pie
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a few notorious overthinkers, time them out if you feel like it.

There are a lot of occasional overthinkers, only time them out if it gets bad.

Stuff happens to all of us, don't time out if it's a real-world issue.

How hard is that?

Solution in search of a problem. Maybe 5% better, but with the time they spend "improving" the system they could have worked on the revamp for seasons, or at least tweaked the coach stats page around a little.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

can we just give both player 35 minutes in total to do all turns, set ups, and what not...
it's more than enough... Slow opponents really ruin the game..
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

35 minutes is an average of 2.18 minutes per turn. Could be not enough for Vampires and stunty teams.
What about 40 minutes to play all the turns and 4 minutes for each set up?
40 minutes = 2 minutes 30 seconds turn average.

2 minutes per turn could work too, but with a bonus time of 10 seconds to decide the outcome of the blocks. That means that, when the block dice pop-up window appears, a 10 second timer starts. If no block dice is selected, the client selects the result (it could be set on automatically picking pow or skull or randomly).
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2023 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree
The current timeout button pop up at 4 minutes for me is ok.

I would just give the possibility to anybody to exceed 4 mins one time per match (up to 8 mins for instance )
Or in alternative : 4 minutes budget to be used as you want during the whole match (my preferred).
AFK and BRB special cases: In case s .o has a long break to take for unexpected urgencies he must inform the opponent , tell him when he can be back , close the client (so time will not run) and return to the agree time
This will not make games longer than today probably 4-8 mins more than today and is nothing for one match of 70 mins average.

Blood Bowl is not a FPS game.
If you are in hurry and cannot wait little bit play Ruzzle .
badger89

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2023 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Just putting you out they, why not do it like chess Bullet (1 mins turns), Blitz (2mins turns), Rapid (3 mins turns) and Classic (4mins turns) format.