29 coaches online • Server time: 08:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
licker

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that I'm a champion of how BB2 handles this, but BB2 *handles* this.

OF course I much prefer the way the FUMBBL client deals with disconnects and various other oddities, and I appreciate that (most of the time) when someone needs a break their opponent doesn't assume they are taking a billion years to run the position through deep blue or whatever 'advantage' people are worried about, and just lets them play out their turn when they get back.

It's really pretty simple honestly. If you start a game (unless you have some other arrangement with your opponent before you start) you are expected to be available for 60-90m to actually play it. Not talk on the phone, not answer the door, not even put out burning cats and dogs.

If you don't think you can manage to block out 60-90m DON'T PLAY THE GAME. If a real emergency arises, then WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE ABOUT A STUPID ONLINE GAME.

The 'good' thing about BB2 is that this is 100% explicit. There is no reconnect to play the game another day, if you can't finish because your dogs colostomy bag exploded oh well.

I get all the angst about the time out button though, I really do. It's just always from the same 1% who can't accept it is as it is. The answer to them really should just be STFU because, yeah, that's just how simple this really is.

Some of them will actually LTP instead of STFU (at least I think that was goos point?), but damn, if you get burnt on something because you didn't understand how it worked, that's really on you, not on everyone else who doesn't have a problem with it.
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

lol Dominik, I'm sure you can still play on Fumbbl even with just one kidney XD
tmoila

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
If a real emergency arises, then WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE ABOUT A STUPID ONLINE GAME.

This. I mean if you have to go to toilet or something, it's just out from your 4min in my opinion. Same thing if someone rings doorbell and wants to bring jesus to your heart. Or anything similiar that could interrupt your turn; Something normal people should be able to handle in reasonable amount of time and still manage to finish turn in 4 minutes.

Then again 2 minute turns with certain amount of time in bank (say 10 minute extra time) would be much much better time control for this game. But noooooo, let's go with the archaic 4 minutes per turn method.

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
It's funny that you experienced the same that I did recently in my FUMBBL Cup game which costs me the win.

Funny indeed, for we already established that you lost the game because of your brain farts, not because of that timeout.

Surely you must be joking.

Very funny, sir!

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

m0gw41 wrote:
Just follow the following rule: Don't be a d*ck.

All of your situations above break that rule.

That thread has been answered on page one. no idea how you all got to 12 Pages..
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

tmoila wrote:
Then again 2 minute turns with certain amount of time in bank (say 10 minute extra time) would be much much better time control for this game. But noooooo, let's go with the archaic 4 minutes per turn method.

This is how the LRB4 client worked btw.

Although it was set to 4 minutes and something like 30 minutes time bank.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Strider84 wrote:
That thread has been answered on page one. no idea how you all got to 12 Pages..

Admins should have closed this one long ago. But they like to see us squirm. They are due some extra entertainment on our expense, to be fair.
fidius

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I once typed "afk - door" to my Box opponent in the middle of the match. The knock was my uncle dropping by, who's a good guy but likes to talk (he's older), and I felt like I couldn't cut him short. Got back to the game 15 mins later. Opponent was still there -- not particularly happy (I wouldn't have been either) but understanding, no timeout, and eager to finish up. That's how a person with class approaches an online game played for fun over the internets.

The opponent was Uedder. I won't do it again mate, but I appreciate it and will always remember the grace you showed me that day.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
Dominik wrote:
It's funny that you experienced the same that I did recently in my FUMBBL Cup game which costs me the win.

Funny indeed, for we already established that you lost the game because of your brain farts, not because of that timeout.

Surely you must be joking.

Very funny, sir!

I threw the game away mentally after the timeout. Making one critical mistake after a Blitz! offered chances cannot be seen as the reason for losing a game.
licker

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:
I once typed "afk - door" to my Box opponent in the middle of the match. The knock was my uncle dropping by, who's a good guy but likes to talk (he's older), and I felt like I couldn't cut him short. Got back to the game 15 mins later. Opponent was still there -- not particularly happy (I wouldn't have been either) but understanding, no timeout, and eager to finish up. That's how a person with class approaches an online game played for fun over the internets.

The opponent was Uedder. I won't do it again mate, but I appreciate it and will always remember the grace you showed me that day.

This is the thing, I'd think that 95% (if not more) of the time this is what happens.

There are simply a handful of @#$#-sticks who like to try to squeeze out extra wins from 'taking advantage' of the spirit of the 'rule'.

Why we continue to waste our time trying to explain how to act like a normal person to them is beyond me.

STFU and LTP NOOBZ!!
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
I threw the game away mentally after the timeout.

And yet you still took more than 3 mins for every single turn afterwards, Dom. That's a strange way to throw away the game.

Even if we accept this poor excuse, it is still on you. Just as every time you infuriated your opponents with your own behavior - their reaction was on them.

After all these years, you should have learned to prioritize and to play within your limits. One good reason why EZ seldom gets timed out is that he would seldom be caught flat footed, and prioritizes well enough so he can speed up when required.

Like Alekhine once said, you are as responsible when you lose on time as a drunk driver is responsible for hitting someone.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2016 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

tmoila wrote:
I mean if you have to go to toilet or something, it's just out from your 4min in my opinion.

Presumably, in this case you could just wait until the next time you get asked about using sidestep/fend/apo during your opponents turn? Clock stops, doesn't it?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2016 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:

I remember the detail of your uncle also being naked while talking to you, right? Very Happy
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2016 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if time continued you could on defence wait until he was over then select to use and time him out lol.

DLE College 7s
Dominik

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2016 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
Like Alekhine once said, you are as responsible when you lose on time as a drunk driver is responsible for hitting someone.

Not in this particular game but it won't happen again.

In an other game I got timed out when I blitzed the ball carrier in the final of the German Blood Bowl League on FUMBBL. The time out happened when the block dice were rolled and therefore they were automatically rerolled, resulting in a turnover instead of a pow! My fault I lost?
 Jump to: