46 coaches online • Server time: 19:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fidius

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The quintessential American Football icon for a coach in my mind is the headset they wear. Think Bill Belichick.

Also: Kalimar! Great to see you around!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Why a Goblin icon to represent the coach?
It's fitting for a Goblin team, but not for other races.

There is no specific race that has to represent a headcoach but a headcoach could be from any race and there is no way to represent all races at the same time. So a goblin head is as good of a representation of a headcoach as any other.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed. He needs a suit/tuxido though.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

There is no specific race that has to represent a headcoach but a headcoach could be from any race and there is no way to represent all races at the same time. So a goblin head is as good of a representation of a headcoach as any other.

Specific coach icons would be better in my opinion and it's absolutely untrue that a coach might be from any race.
Elves or Dwarfs, for example, would never ever accept to be coached by a Goblin.

Anyway, if we have to use a generic icon, what about a baseball cap with the word "COACH" written on it and headset?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

1. Your query is exactly WHY it should be goblin icon behind bars
2. You really want the client to recognize each team, serve up the correct, 'fluffy', icon from the resources? It's an abstraction, you will be happy with it!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

1. Your query is exactly WHY it should be goblin icon behind bars
2. You really want the client to recognize each team, serve up the correct, 'fluffy', icon from the resources? It's an abstraction, you will be happy with it!

A baseball cap + headset with the red circle and diagonal on it would be universal.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Free Coach:

Unfree Coach:

Basically Jim Harbaugh is a Fumbbl coach and he doesn't know it.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Matt. You have roughly a 40x40 pixel square. I figured this information would be helpful so you could start drawing your race specific coach icons, or the "Coach" hat with headset. We look forward to seeing your attempts posted here in this thread.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Jim_Fear wrote:
Hey Matt. You have roughly a 40x40 pixel square. I figured this information would be helpful so you could start drawing your race specific coach icons, or the "Coach" hat with headset. We look forward to seeing your attempts posted here in this thread.

Thanks but I'm not interested in drawing any icon, just wanted to provide an idea.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Thanks but I'm not interested in drawing any icon, just wanted to provide an idea.

So if you're just here to provide your unasked for opinion, and not actually do any of the work, you should probably shut the F' up.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

TOLD!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Jim_Fear wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

So if you're just here to provide your unasked for opinion, and not actually do any of the work, you should probably shut the F' up.

It's not your site, nor your thread, and there is no rule forbidding to post ideas.
Forums are made to discuss things and so I did, drawing an icon was not a requirement to post ideas.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Apologies for the quote truncation:

Jim_Fear wrote:
You have roughly a 40x40 pixel square.

This is the crux of the matter, it's quite hard to make something identifiable, and yet still indisputably "FUMBBL" inside that space.

If anything we should be grateful to Kalimar for asking for an icon at all - an abstract red dot or cross, or even just an "ozone hazard" (the exclamation point hazard sign) could just as easily display to the userbase that something is amiss.

Anyway, as per fidius' suggestion:

I've went with a red cross since a red circle is ungainly here, and quite frankly blocked out most of the headset icon to the point of it being unrecognisable anyway. It's 40x38 (probably still too big), headset drawing is based off of the motorola NFL headsets.

[edit] I will say despite spending some time making it, I'm not really a fan of it - it's very modern and tech-y, and not very "blood bowl" (although that might not really matter for a client icon), but also if I saw headphones and a banned symbol or red x pop up, as a new coach or being unfamiliar with the new rules, I'd first assume I had a sound issue.

Last edited by ArrestedDevelopment on Dec 22, 2016 - 19:45; edited 1 time in total
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Jim_Fear wrote:

Thank you for articulating what everybody else in this thread was thinking.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2016 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Jim_Fear wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

It's not your site, nor your thread, and there is no rule forbidding to post ideas.
Forums are made to discuss things and so I did, drawing an icon was not a requirement to post ideas.

But surely you realize how hollow your suggestions are when you're completely dependent on other people executing them for you. At the very least there's no guns to stick by.
 Jump to: