46 coaches online • Server time: 12:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Evilo

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The blood bowl-2016 rules introduce the idea that you pick three players for the mvp selection and then roll a d3 to randomly select between these three who gets the mvp.

I was wondering, what do you think of this idea?

How would it affect teams in terms of team-developtment and tiers?

How would it affect a league like FUMBBL if something like that was implemented in the short-term and long-term?
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll tell ya one thing. 3 big buy Pact just became fascinating... Very Happy

I see it really being a boon to Lizardmen. If a coach plays Slann it could be great for blitzers as well.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, many teams will really like this, no matter if you're going more "rule for five" style (few highly skilled players) or "team team" style (broadly skilled team).

Will make team building more fun, especially for more occasional players. I hope it will be implemented on FUMBBL and look forward to it. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 08:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm an occasional player but I absolutely hate the idea of being able to funnel all the MVPs onto key players. Takes fun and fluffiness away and replaces it with boring cookie cutting minmaxness.

I'd compare it to using cheat codes in a computer game; there's no satisfaction in the achieving.
Naru1981

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 08:18 Reply with quote Back to top

wouldn't be too bad if say, can only nominate each player every other game

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really see a reason that it would be bad?
Why would it be bad... it takes away some of the randomness for team construction. It also works for everyone.

Gives teams with less AG a bit more chance of upgrading key players. Like "Flesh Gollems" and "Sauri". Since they are pretty hard to develop.

AG 4 teams just score with whatever they want.
AG 3 teams kinda have the same option.
But skilling Sauri in a league sometimes takes forever.

I find it strange that there is less naging about the loss of a SPP roll on 125+ SPP

(acording to deathzone season 1 page 21)

It just skips the 125 SPP , and goes from 75+ to 175+.
Or did I miss something again?

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

kwèk wrote:
Why would it be bad... it takes away some of the randomness for team construction. It also works for everyone.

Gives teams with less AG a bit more chance of upgrading key players. Like "Flesh Gollems" and "Sauri". Since they are pretty hard to develop.

AG 4 teams just score with whatever they want.
AG 3 teams kinda have the same option.
But skilling Sauri in a league sometimes takes forever.

I find it strange that there is less naging about the loss of a SPP roll on 125+ SPP

(acording to deathzone season 1 page 21)

It just skips the 125 SPP , and goes from 75+ to 175+.
Or did I miss something again?

Yes, you did. There is no 125 skill up in CRP either.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 09:49
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

We've used the D3 MVP for a while in a tabletop league and it works really well for that format. It means in the early games of a fresh season you can usually skill a player each game by spreading your SPPs about a bit. Eg. If in game 1 if I have one player get a cas, one a comp and one score a TD I'm guaranteed a skill roll. This is good for fresh teams during new leagues. How it translates to perpetual league meta-gaming remains to be seen... Wink

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum

Last edited by mister__joshua on %b %23, %2017 - %09:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Rabe

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:
I'm an occasional player but I absolutely hate the idea of being able to funnel all the MVPs onto key players. Takes fun and fluffiness away and replaces it with boring cookie cutting minmaxness.

I'd compare it to using cheat codes in a computer game; there's no satisfaction in the achieving.

Well, I think those who let their teams grow "naturally" will simply nominate those player who are close to skilling. Those who min-max will use it like you said, but those are also the coaches who will likely fire any zombie, skink or linerat that skills without "permission". This new rule makes team building easier for everyone.
It also allows for own "rules": No one says, you can't always nominate the player who earned the last MVP plus two players with the least MVP awards or something like that. Or just "cycle" through your team. Or roll dice for the nomination. Very Happy

Sure, some random developments (like a lineman getting 5 MVPs in a row and therefor skilling much faster, rolling stat upgrades etc.) will happen much less, but on the other side, there are no "wasted" (albeit sometimes fluffy) MVP awards for dead players, mercenaries, stars or players who already reached Legend state.
I'm a big fan of random events in BB in general, but those events I can easily sacrifice for the MVP becoming a partly reliable tool for team building and reducing the frustration if that one Black Orc simply doesn't want to skill (which can still happen).

I totally see how you and others hate/dislike it though.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

akaRenton wrote:

Yes, you did. There is no 125 skill up in CRP either.

Nagging about it... has been long over due then Razz

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

No more wasting a re roll on that 5spp beastman failing a pass/catch on turn 2!

Teams of the same race may start looking similar which is meh. But it sucks much more to get MVP's on the zombie fodder x games in a row.
Getting skills on the player you want to get the skills on earlier decreases variance and grinding, which is surely a good thing.

It actually decreases min maxing advantage because the 100 game minmax teams (with the skills on the players they want) don't get such an advantage over the 16 game teams.

It will advantage some races more than others, but those slow bashy races are going to need that advantage when piling on goes.

Overall, surely this is a good thing.

BUT as always I have a better solution that won't be implemented: It would actually be a better solution for fluff and life, if the player who scored the most touchdowns, did the most blocks, caused the most cas, etc etc got the MVP mathematically based on how he played in the game. A bit like how Fantasy football calculates bonus points for players.

It's retarded that the guy who sits on the bench all game gets the MVP randomly.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

kwèk wrote:

Because it's fun. And some people think BB should be all suffering and no fun.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
It's retarded that the guy who sits on the bench all game gets the MVP randomly.

This technically can't happen, to get the MVP you need to get fielded at least one turn. But I get what you mean Wink

Anyway, I have a general good vibe about the D3 MVP, but with only a small caveat. There are occasional extraordinary players that are born from a random MVP that will never exist with a D3 MVP. Talking about those linemen that roll +AG after a MVP and become some great player and asset for the team.

If the rule gets implemented, together with how TV rewards builds like the rule of 5, fodder positionals will lose any hope to becom significant players.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
if the player who scored the most touchdowns, did the most blocks, caused the most cas, etc etc got the MVP mathematically based on how he played in the game. A bit like how Fantasy football calculates bonus points for players.

How would you keep track and implement that in a table top environment? Which is where the rules are created for.
kwèk

Post 14 Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
kwèk wrote:

Because it's fun. And some people think BB should be all suffering and no fun.

good point...
I'm going to write a letter to Games Workshop asking to make CPOMB just one general skill.

(At least stunty races can't get it without throwing doubles!)

Jump to: