67 coaches online • Server time: 23:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
(Pick the earliest that applies) On a Snotling, I would take:
A Normal skill
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
A Double or +MA/AV
21%
 21%  [ 10 ]
+AG
41%
 41%  [ 19 ]
+ST
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Nothing. I replace all skilled snotlings.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 46

CaptainKrunch

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

On a side note, polls should be adjusted to allow the option of having poll-takers pick multiple options as they submit their votes. Instead, just pick the earliest that applies.

Now onto the real topic.

Are there any skills really worth taking on snots? A quick glance over the most easily found strategy threads go so far as suggesting diving tackle or jump up. But it seems to me that two rookie snots are just flat out better than a snot with diving tackle, jump up, or any other normal skill. I'm even struggling to see how any doubles would be more valuable than two and a half snots. I can see the appeal of a +AG snot, with easier pickups and TTM, but that player is now the equivalent of 3 rookie snots, and considering how much the player would likely be scoring, the TV would probably start to add up quickly with useless normal skills, each worth a snot. Do you agree or disagree with me and why? Is having skilled snots really more valuable than keeping down TV with rookie snots? And if so, how many would you want to see developed and to what extent?

P.S. I'm aware Ogres are *reallyyyyy* bad and it doesn't make much sense to discuss optimization or min-maxing since they will still be bad regardless, but it won't stop me from trying Very Happy
vaclav

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

div tackle as first gen skill
Jeffthejar

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible that a Dirty Player snotling is worth it? At 50k TV for a dirty player, that's about as cheap as you'll ever find a dirty player on the pitch, yeah? If he can stay alive long enough to throw a boot at someone, that seems like nice value. I guess with snots it is always a matter of "if".
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

dirty player, leader, kick and kick-off return all have their place for snots on a double.

AG4 really is golden for landing those TTM's and in terms of survivability - they don't add a lot to your tv for protracted period of time.

for a normal roll, given that snot tz's do not penalise a player for dodging into them, diving tackle is about all you can take to try and make elves, gutters etc. make meaningful dodge rolls.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Simple: fire any Snotling that at first skill up doesn't roll: a double; +MA; +AG (the best stat).
Focus on one Snotling (the one with +AG if possible) and make him your ball carrier/1ttd player with Sprint, Sure Feet, Catch.
Don't stack regular skills on Snotlings without double rolls, +MA, +AG.
One super AG 4 Snotling tailored to be a ball carrier/1TTD is better than several Snotlings with regular skills.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 04:42 Reply with quote Back to top

for me, Leader makes sense to help out the Ogres. I would take +AG, but I've had a +ST once and it seemed like a lot of bloat and didn't save him either.
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 05:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Diving Tackle for normal roll on the player custom made for being an annoying TZ (20k with Side Step).

Doubles - I've taken Kick (cause its awesome but not Ogre awesome) and Wrestle (for LOS duties... greatly reduces the chances of the take down, and combined with Side Step they only get 1 swing at you).

MV yes - for faster/ easier 1T TD scoring or ball retrieval etc.

AG - Yes, makes collecting a spilled ball in traffic easier and also easier landing for 1T TDs.

AV/ ST - never.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 06:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Does block/wrestle REALLY help prevent take downs though? It's still around 42% for a POW on 3 dice. And the S1 really keeps them from using the skill at all offensively, since even -2d blocks are hard to come by. I just don't think it's worth more than the 30k extra inducements against an elf blitzer with MB, a beastman with jump up, or a gutter runner with +MA.

That said, I'm not sure how many inducements are actually useful for the ogre team. Babes seem redundant when half the team has thick skull, same goes for wandering apothecary and AV9. Bribes are also less appealing if I'm not taking dirty player anywhere. So maybe it is the right play to go all out on your snots since you can't get real value elsewhere anyways.
tussock

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Diving Tackle is there to make them a screen that functions well instead of very poorly.

And yes, sometimes you want to screen certain players from getting to certain places even when you're Ogres, there are problems it is better to solve without hitting things.

Doubles is Dirty Player, a 50k DP is the best value in the game by miles.

Edit: +MA and +AG help a lot with throwing them, and a Strong Arm Ogre throws snots not too bad. With either you want sprint, sure feet, and catch, except they almost never live that long. Having a snot dedicated to the ball like that does make it trickier to protect the Ogres though.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had snot skills win me the game when using ogres.. diving tackle, sure hands, wrestle
okostomi

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

For me few DT is worth taking on 1-2 snots, hope for double and DP or leader. MA+ wins games as you have an ma6 guy dodging on 2+ with reroll. AG+ also great to pick up, ST+ is a waste.
Sableheart

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, 2 rookie snots are better then a 40K snot, no matter his skill. However, you'll run into the 16 player limit. The correct question to ask is if a skill on a snot is worth a skill on an opposing player.

The answer to that is yes, if you can make use of that skill.

I quite like having a surefeet/sprint snot, to help with the 1 turners. Such a player hugely benefits from +MA/+AG. The third normal should be catch, though you really would like to have a stat increase by then. Having more then two such players is overkill, though.

Having a few Diving Tackle/Jump Up players can be worth it, if you know to position them correctly.

Leader, Kick and Dirty Player are worthy doubles.

Snots that start on the bench really shouldn't have skills, so keep the total number of skilled snots limited to no more then 5.

As a general rule, any skilled snot becomes a blitz magnet. If you fire any -MA/-AG, you shouldn't have to worry about bloat too much.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2017 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone take sneaky git? You can just foul whenever and if you get sent off you'll know you at least got an injury roll in return

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2017 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If I remember too, I take it on my dirty player (don't look at my current team roster where I picked diving tackle instead having failed my own bonehead roll).
lolvenom

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2017 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Too much TV.
 Jump to: