19 coaches online • Server time: 07:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Death roller now worth it?
Always was!
36%
 36%  [ 19 ]
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 16 ]
Macavity!
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Macavity is long gone. Stop using him as a poll option!
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 52

Grod

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Deathrollers always seemed a bit expensive for a piece that only lasts one drive. But with BB2016 rules being implemented, death rollers seem to have been given a boost:
* Inducements are less powerful without the wizard.
* Can argue the call when he is sent off.

Is it now worth running a death roller? Or is it still bloat?

Oscar Wilde
mr-maverick

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

not worth it, since it stopped being a +6 to foul roll it stopped being worth it

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

too slow, too unreliable - loner and no block, and only on the field for 1 drive - apart from 1 in 6 games where u get 2x drives
for the same price as 2x blitzers or runners - no thanks!

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

forgot something else Grod - you can't fill up all his slots on normal rolls any more, so you're guaranteed at least one double!

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The Toaster is worth it.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

mr-maverick wrote:
too slow, too unreliable - loner and no block, and only on the field for 1 drive - apart from 1 in 6 games where u get 2x drives
for the same price as 2x blitzers or runners - no thanks!

To be fair, the Deathroller has a heap of skills (including Juggernaut for blitzing), as well as S7 so is almost always hitting with 3 dice, and no negatraits other than loner like most big guys. I find them to be rather awesomely reliable when on the field.

A 1/6 chance to play an extra drive also increases their usefulness (on average) by a nice chunk as well.

The other main thing with the new rules is that giving away inducements is no longer as bad with the wizard out, so having TV bloat in the form of extra reserves and/or a death roller is less of an issue with the new ruleset?

Oscar Wilde
Bazakastine

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Also once expensive mistakes our in spending some of your treasury on a bribe every few games could be worth it. I think it moves from being not worth it all to probably not being worth it but not debilitating and for some coaches may even add value.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I always considered it worth it, at least on hight TV teams. Many wouldn't believe me. Very Happy

With PO gone, it gets another boost: Those Chaos teams that blitz/block it down, while still using Claw + MB, don't get a second shot (except by fouling) at removing this important player.

The argument about not having enough S skills to pick from (unless I've miscounted) is a great one, too. So, you can either use the DR as a near-rookie player and leave it there (to not accumulate even more TV on it), or - with the help of the new MVP rule - develop it into a central player who even gets Block or Dodge eventually (before you have to pick Thick Skull and Strong Arm though).

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Another boost it gets is the new MVP rules. You can hammer the SPPs into it in the hope it will get a double

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Rabe

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, and even if not: Having Guard and Grab on it makes it much better. Trying to get it MVPs for these two skills alone is worth it in my opinion.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

On it's way to exhausting the strength skills (and hence getting doubles as normals) does it really have to take strong arm? Seems ridiculous when it doesn't have hands.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Never was worth it but since when did that matter?
Do you play for fun?
Are they fun of course they are!

Post 18 Posted: Mar 22, 2017 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Danish_Dan wrote:
On it's way to exhausting the strength skills (and hence getting doubles as normals) does it really have to take strong arm? Seems ridiculous when it doesn't have hands.

Good point. Strong arm should be somehow removed from options for no hand players.
It would make more sense if when the roller is sent off the driver could get back on the pitch and do passing duties Laughing

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2017 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

now that spiraling expenses are gone, yeah, I'm more tempted to take one. No need to control TV anymore.

big question now is, what happens when you run out of strength skills to select?

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2017 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it's worth running one, but it may be worth inducing one, especially if you can also get the bribe to go with it.

Over in BB2 there are these kind of cheesy dwarf teams of 10 blockers and a runner and blitzer (or similar) which spam guard and keep their TV on the low side, they then induce the Death Roller and a bribe depending on what they have in their treasury (since yeah, they use the stupid petty cash rule from BB2016).

I think it's fairly effective actually, but it makes for really dull matches in a min/max sweet spot sort of way. It's also not try harding the way we may have seen it here, since those teams still struggle to actually win a lot, but they are a pain in the @#$ to play against when well coached, and if they roll somewhat well they can utterly steam roll underdeveloped teams.

Sort of a gripe about the way inducements are handled honestly, because those teams with some cash in the bank, and a 100TV difference can add on deathroller and bribe and be kind of stupid to face at low TVs.
 Jump to: