27 coaches online • Server time: 07:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nightbringer

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

As of late I have found that quite a few players have been abusing the concept of stalling....My question is why...I feel it takes away from the spirit of sportsmanship and really is just a way to make you opponent lose with out having to really try......

I mean it comes to a point you have to ask yourself why bother even finishing this game and just concede. Sure you can try to break out and there is the remotest possibility he will mess up and you can recover, but by then your half is over and you couldnt score and then he gets the ball and will most likely do the same things. Now I could see if its a tie game and your about to score and are delaying just to eat up some time this being a valid option, but to do it to deprive a whole half from your opponent being able to get the ball and score seems just unfair.

I know its a part of the game, but what is some one sappose to do.
EPIC

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Blitz the ball carrier.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Read the other extremely long threat on the topic perhaps, i believe it is called "stalling, part of the game or cheesy exploit". And try to check if a thread on the topic already exists before starting one Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Will I give my opinion...Yes...No

I'm stalling for giving my opinion. I'll give it latter when the toppic is almost over. A cool new concept.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Some previous topics you may find interesting:

Concerning Stalling.
What about scoring in two turns?
Or blocking?
The art of dodging.

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Example: An orc coach playing skaven, gets behind his lines in turn 4 and is able to reach the end zone, Should he stall or not? Of course he should! If he doesn´t, he thereby gives the skaven coach 4 turns to make the equaliser in, and since skaven (for example, could be woodies or any other ballplaying fast team) have a much easier time making TDs compared to orcs (again, for example) it would be directly stupid of the orc coach not to stall! Stalling is a valid tactic as any to keep the opponent from scoring.

God im sick of questions like these, what will be next? "THE BOARD!!! PART OF THE GAME? OR JUST DISTRACTING US FROM RANTING???"

Last edited by Trekamp on %b %15, %2004 - %08:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
veron

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Trekamp wrote:
God im sick of questions like theese, what will be next? "THE BOARD!!! PART OF THE GAME? OR JUST DISTRACTING US FROM RANTING???"

Take an advice from your signature, wise words there. Wink
Mezir

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't stop giggling.

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Trekamp wrote:
God im sick of questions like theese, what will be next? "THE BOARD!!! PART OF THE GAME? OR JUST DISTRACTING US FROM RANTING???"

We don't have a board, but personally I think the dice are distracting. Can't we just pick the results, that would reduce the amount of threads about luck too Shocked Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed. Stalling is whack. Only reason it happens online is you can't punch an opposing coach for being a git.

But the argument has kind of *been done* a number of times Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL @ mezir

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I love it when people stall and it backfires. Its happened quite a few times against me. I don't often stall because even against agile teams you could get a blitz and then score another TD.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that stealling is wrong because it is just a way to take something that isn't yours that someone else had to work very hard to get. Also note that stealling is a crime in most countries, and you do so at your own risk of possible jail time.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that stealling would be a valid tactic in Blood Bowl, and I'm not even sure how it could be accomplished via the internet, although the "thrower figure swipe while spotting Elvis over the opposing coach's shoulder" play was attempted more than once in our tabletop league!

So in summary, I think that stealling - er, what's that? No 'e'? Oh bloody hell... Embarassed
Azurus

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbringer wrote:
I know its a part of the game, but what is some one sappose to do.

Blitz the Ball Carrier. There's almost always a player that can reach. Take the risk or suffer the stalling. My oppo stalled against me in my skel's last game, for 3 turns. I managed to blitz him every turn (got myself knocked over every time mind Laughing ).

If the staller has played well enough that you can't get anyone to the ball carrier however many 6's you roll, he deserves the position and you need to practice defense more.

Stalling is the same as every other tactic in BB, ie you need to keep playing until you work out how to beat it.
Mnemok

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2004 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3,
Quote:

I think that stealling - er, what's that? No 'e'?

He, he nice to see a fellow illiterate.