23 coaches online • Server time: 03:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
To include a Rat Ogre in a rookie Skaven team or not
Hell Yeah, last Rogre standing
28%
 28%  [ 15 ]
4 Gutter Runners make the opponent goes bananas
44%
 44%  [ 23 ]
3 Gutter Runners and 1 Big guy if the budget allows it
26%
 26%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 52

bates

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2017 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

Next month our league will kick off and I will be coaching Skaven. So far I only once played with them, the starters kit, which was good fun.

Now I have invested a bit in my team and I can choose if I line up 4 gutter runners, to provide additional speed or a Rat Ogre.

The Wild animal skill so far was pretty good to master and I now that the use of this ogre can cause some serious dialogue but how would you set up your team as a rookie.

Ogre or not?

Cheers

Last edited by bates on %b %25, %2017 - %06:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2017 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

bates wrote:
..use of this ogre can cause some serious dialogue..

Only if your vocabulary is limited to: RAWR!! Razz

To actually answer your question: I personally wouldn't take a rogre on a rookie Skaven team - I think you're better off with all 4 gutter runners.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
lethalkid

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2017 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If the team has a lot of elves and consists of light armored teams take the rat ogre if it is mostly high armor bash teams take the gr
garyt1

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2017 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

So if you take the Rogre will you still have 3 GRs?
If you are using d3 MVP choice then Rogre could be decent as you can get him to a skill quite quick for either block or more likely Jugs on single. But then again GRs and Stormvermin also want skills, and no doubt there will be some league games where his wild animal or loner will lose you the match. On occasion his casualties or surf threat could win it.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2017 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
But then again GRs and Stormvermin also want skills
Gutters are so easy to skill up though. In a good first match, I've managed to get all 4 gutters skilled, at least once. In an average first match, I manage to get at least one skilled, with 2 more close enough to skill easily in a second game.

Storm Vermin are a bit harder, I'll give you that, but once one of them has MB, they skill almost as readily as Gutters, especially if they get claws.

I think you'd still prefer MVP on the Rat Ogre in nearly all cases
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2017 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the Rogre! SO much fun on a Rat team.

Also, add a poll!
bates

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Poll added Twisted Evil
bghandras

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Before the rule changes i would have said no to ratogre. Now i say, probably yes. The storm vermins are not killers anymore, so will take guard. Juggernaut is within reach for the big guy with new mvp rules. I recommend to take 2 vermins, 1 ratogre, and push all mvps on these 3. Gutters will skill naturally.

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers buddy, I would like to add that this upcoming season will be a learning curve for me. So if one game the tactics don't work proper I can always adapt the game after.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

First skill would be stand firm to go along with frenzy and the tail. Block is so much better than Jiggs i would consider taking guard as second. If you're keen to keep pumping MVPs into him

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDiscoStu wrote:
First skill would be stand firm to go along with frenzy and the tail. Block is so much better than Jiggs i would consider taking guard as second. If you're keen to keep pumping MVPs into him

Isn't another aspect of taking juggernaut that you can then think about claw on doubles?
bates

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2017 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello fellow coaches,
Yesterday I had my first full trial game, Skaven vs Lizardmen. My opponent was a well-established senior player of our club and a great opportunity to learn it the hard way.
I started with 4 gutter runners, as my rat ogres where still to arrive and as this was suggested by most people whose advice I had read earlier online.
I decided to defend first, but as I was trying different positional set ups, the first half ended with a draw (1-1). His saurus players gave everything they had on my poor runners and blitzers, luckily for me the result was most of the time just stunned. Positive notes here were the accurate passing, quick gameplay. Points to improve was positioning on the field ( learning curve).
The second half proved to be much harder, altho my opponent had lost 1 skink and 2 saurus’ s he had the advantage of benefiting from his experience and managed to position his players in such a way that I had to roll the dice often. Again my runners were targeted way to often and out of the blue the dice turned the odds. Altho my thrower benefited from the skills like pass and sure hands he fumbled twice, resulting in two turnovers. And two quick touchdowns.
My opponent told me to focus more on the fielding of my players and eventually to work out a plan of what I wanting to do.
I do recognize the huge potential of the skaven as a quick and easy ball handling team but I’m still a bit worried on what would be the best set up for a starting rookie coach.
The rat ogre ( I managed to get my hands on the old bone ripper model, old skool) would add extra punch to the team and with additional skills could become a decent asset to the LoS. On the other hand the speed that 4 runners add to the team is amazing.
Any tips…
Cheers
bates

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2017 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

Yesterday I tested my Bone ripper Ogre for the first time. using 3 GR and 1 Ogre.
His Wild Animal skill really boycotted me against the dwarfs. I managed to pull a draw but my opponent was constantly bashing on all my players and the Rat Ogre didn't survive. So basically, not really useful.

I also found it very boring that he was targeting all my players, not really a gameplan....

Anyway, I will start the league with 4 GR.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2017 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

i like to use him as kebab

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2017 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to steal pythrrs kebab and eat it