19 coaches online • Server time: 07:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What skill would you take (normal roll)?
Leap
32%
 32%  [ 14 ]
Frenzy
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Diving Tackle
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Side Step
39%
 39%  [ 17 ]
Other
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 43

seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2017 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

High Elf Blitzer, Curufinwë Calmcacil, just rolled a normal roll.

Current skills ( 8/4/4/8 ):
Block
+MA
+ST
Dodge
Tackle

I think I'm leaning towards Leap, as it just gives him the ability to do things he can't already do, but with 8 Ma and 4 Str frenzy is also appealing.

Leap would basically turn him into a +Str, +Av Wardancer.

Other suggestions/discussion are welcome
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2017 - 03:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow that's tough. Okay what do you use him for? If he generally carries the ball, would sure hands benefit him against the strip ballers? Would side step keep him safer?

If he is used to hit opponents, then I can see the usefulness of Leap. I would also wonder about strip ball, though without leap it is perhaps not as strong. They would work well together if you could make him legend.

So generally pick one of the two different routes.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I use him for a bit of everything really. I think there's two real routes he can go (non-doubles)... Frenzy + Side Step or Leap + Side Step or Strip Ball?

I love high elf throwers, so I would more usually let them handle the ball and just distribute to whomever to score the TD.

The way I play elves is usually all about getting a defensive score and winning the game that way... So, to that end, a leaper can be a game changer, with 4 str, getting 2 dice, etc.

I can also see the benefit of a frenzy side stepper who could just push people around.

Also, if he get's a double for his legend skill (long in the future), that'll be either MB or Guard... In either case, Leap seems to still work for me, but so does Side Step.

A 4 str blodged side-stepping guard would be pretty nasty... I see side-step is getting plenty of love though.

I guess my thinking is that leap lets him do impossible things, although only on a 3+.
Daudy

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Frenzy would be really committing to a role, leap is a bit more multi-purpose.

Sidestep wouldn't be too bad either, particularly since it opens up nice synergies with a potential future skill (like DT or a Guard with doubles). Ordinarily I personally wouldn't like too much use out of sidestep as it means important players are being hit, but it is still undoubtedly useful in its own right. SS also opens up the potential OTTD a bit 'easier' (given your only other two MA8s don't have SS). I suppose frenzy could also help with OTTDs, especially if one of the other ma8s gets SS.

Diving tackle is an interesting one with tackle and the blodge st4 (but no SS!). I suppose being ranked you have to take a stocktake into what kind of teams/players you often play to make a judgement on how much mileage you'll get out of that.

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 05:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually don't play many one-off games these days, so it's mostly just tournament games... So, Ranked or Box, doesn't really matter, I don't usually choose my opponents.

I feel like Leap is the type of skill that can be game-breaking. Side step hardly seems worth while unless the goal is to keep him safe. But leap (or frenzy) without side step definitely puts him at risk
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Well this guy didn't get the +ST till Legend, but I've never regretted SS or Sure Hands.
T_Witch

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 06:23 Reply with quote Back to top

sidestep can also be used to sneak your way into a cage if done correctly just takes some planning ahead. It also gives him the ability to run along the sides to get at people better without having to worry about your 4dt guy getting surfed... so multifunctional...whereas leap will eventually get him killed. In the meantime it will burn your team rerolls.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 06:46 Reply with quote Back to top

That is a very dirty/beautiful team, craftnburn... Some great blitzers Smile.

It's nice to hear from you since they are mostly mirror players...

You also have a wrestle/leap/strip ball catcher... Which is probably a roll I should develop, and it probably shouldn't be my most valuable asset.

I guess leap just left like a natural way to allow him to do the previously impossible... But, definitely, will put him at much greater risk. I've had plenty of amazing wardancers killed due to excessive leaping or cage breaking Smile
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

i ahte you and this player... Sad

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2017 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to take skills that let players do things they formerly couldn't too. It's definitely a good (and maybe underrated?) argument. And if you don't have Leap on your team yet, even more so.

However, I voted Side Step, as I also like skills that work for me on my opponents turn and therefor don't bring the risk of causing a turnover and have to potential to disrupt his*her plan in the middle of his*her turn.

With Side Step, your blitzer becomes a much bigger threat on defense. Getting a two-dice block against him isn't always easy and if the first one fails (i.e. only results in a push or both down), a second one is often impossible or needs a lot of commitment - and you have a lot control over it thanks to Side Step. One-die blocks against him are even more risky. I often take the risk to block an ST 4 player with one die (at least first, before using up my blitz, if necessary) and hope to just push him out of the way - against Side Step it's really not worth the try, usually.
So, if you use him to mark players, Side Step is gold and will win you games (so will Leap, but it will also cause turnovers and burned RRs).

And even if you don't mark players: Positioned in a crucial spot, he can easily stop a cage from advancing/players from breaking through, since getting a 2db against him with other player nearby will be tough to impossible and a push is simple not enough anymore.

Last but not least, he has some potential to surf opponents, albeit not in one turn. But he can comfortably push ST 3 players towards the side line and cause head aches for that one and others who come to assist (thereby keeping player busy and still being able to break away any time once he's needed elsewhere).

Just some arguments for Side Step. Smile

But you seem to love the idea to give him Leap and probably can't go wrong with that. Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 03:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the feedback guys! I ended up going with Leap. The appeal to have him do things that he just previously could not do just seemed worthwhile. It worked out well in his first game with Leap (UI Qualifier Finals), allowing him to leap and sack a ball-carrier. Here's to hoping he lives till legend!
Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 07:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck with it! Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Too bad. Frenzy was the correct pick.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

This is an interesting question. Personally, I'm not such a big fan of taking +MA on HE BLitzers, given that HEs have access to MA8 players anyway. If you hadn't taken the +MA, he could have had both Leap and Frenzy by now (and be 10k cheaper) Wink

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2017 - 12:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah leap on ag4 isnt great. I would have skipped the MA and gone frenzy side step.

With ag5 then strip ball leap.