23 coaches online • Server time: 09:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gnaarl13

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

I'm really keen to try and get involved with FUMBBL, but I'm having a nightmare trying to get the system up and running. Sadly I'm not much of a tech-head, and I'm close to giving up on my efforts...

I run Windows 10, but I've got Explorer rather than Edge as the default. I see nothing re Java on my browser though - and I'm not sure if I'm meant to. I've tried to check in to chat, with WinIRC, but all I get with that is a big black empty box. With Mibbit, just a big white empty box. Both of them seem to suggest I'm the only user, and give no indication of any chat capacity. Being me, I don't even know if it's meant to be text chat, or verbal chat...

When I try to spectate games, I get a small box asking me if I want to save, save as or cancel ffblive.jnlp. When I save it, it tells me it's finished downloading, asks if I want to open it, and then, if I do, all I get is another box asking me to save or open it. Again, and again. No matter what I do, that box keeps coming back.

I've tried to act on some of the suggestions I've seen on the forums re the client (e.g. making sure fumbbl.com isn't blocked on Java), but it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but it's looking increasingly likely that I'll just have to go back to playing Chaos Edition against my laptop instead...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Huge thanks,

G
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

install java https://www.java.com/en/

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

As Garion points out, you need to have the latest version of Java installed on your machine, and add Fumbbl.com as a trusted site in the Java settings. Then, when you click 'play' or 'spectate', it should just download the file and start up the FFB client.

In terms of chat, I strongly recommend joining the FUMBBL Discord server. That's where everyone is hanging out these days - no-one uses the IRC any more.

Persevere and you will get there (and it will be worth it!) Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Gnaarl13

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry guys, I should have made it clear - I already downloaded the latest version of Java from the website. I'd made sure to follow what instructions I could find on this site re getting started.

That's why I was confused as to why things weren't working, and wondering if there should be something showing in my browser.

That said, I'll see if deleting Java and re-installing it will help.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

when you check your list of programs when uninstalling check to see if you have more than 1 version of java installed on your computer, if you do thats whats causing the problem

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

also probably best to switch browser, try using firefox, its the best one imo.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 12:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers Garion and JellyBelly. Uninstalled Java - though it was the only version on my laptop, and the latest version, it was definitely worth a punt. Reinstalled it - latest version again. Made sure I was using Internet Explorer...

But still no joy. I'll try and see if I can get Firefox working.

If that doesn't work, then maybe Norton Antivirus is the problem (though not sure how I would fix that, even if it is). Beyond that, I think I might be dead in the water.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah norton is quite likely if you are getting a lot of pop ups.

personally I would not have Norton Antivirus, just use Windows Defender, but thats up to you really.

if you really want to keep norton you could probably add https://fumbbl.com which might help

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 13:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I should make a blog rant about third-party antivirus software..
Klesh

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

So there's no way to add an exception for java/fumbbl in Norton ? Or these two just incompatable due to unacceptable security risks for Norton ?

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Try disabling Norton and running it again. That will at least pinpoint if that is the issue.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Gnaarl13

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Klesh, I am sure there must be a way somehow, but I don't know how. Couldn;t find the relevant option on my Norton.

However - and very thankfully - downloading and running the browser as Firefox (big thanks to Darion for that) has made the difference for me. I think that Norton didn't get its teeth into the browser in quite the same way as it did Internet Explorer, and it allowed me to open the link (for watching matches) in a Java option. Still took me a while to work it out, and find the right programme to get the client up and running, but it's finally a start.

So I can now spectate games. Next up is getting a feel for the client interface (with the tutorials on-site and on-line), and then it's time to start playing (I'm hoping that, as I can now spectate games, I should be fine to play them)...

Thanks to everyone for the help.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I run windows 10 and have Norton on my works computer, I know, and everything works fine for me.

Just had to add https://fumbbl.com to the java exceptions list.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2017 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The odd thing was that that didn't work for me - added it to the list (just double-checked and its definitely there), but no joy at all via Explorer. No reason to worry now, though - at least I can play via Firefox.
 Jump to: