47 coaches online • Server time: 12:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
clownthulhu

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2017 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been browsing through the forums and I can find plenty of posts that share custom pitches and the like, but I can't find information anywhere on how to actually use one. My ultimate goal is to be able to take a custom pitch I've made in GIMP, with all the weather variations, and then have that be used for players in my league for the current tournament we are playing. Is this possible, or at least something close to it? How can I go about doing it?
Helloo

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2017 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it is possible to do it properly yet. But I've been thinking that if both teams used half a custom pitch as the background to their team logo that could look quite good. The end zones would not be covered though
clownthulhu

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2017 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay. So what is the 'use custom pitch' setting in the user settings dropdown in the client for?
Silent_Hastati

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2017 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently it is for the Blackbox and certain Major Tournaments, which have a different pitch to the normal grass pitch (which itself is different from the solid color pitch).

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2017 - 06:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't use that option on the site... so I could be wrong...
But I thought you COULD upload your own custom pitch on FUMBBL.
As I seem to recall it is only open to the individual Coach... and only that coach can seem it.
It is much like using custom ICONS... only the coach using the custom icons can see them.

IF I am right... and again I am not sure that I am...
You could probably get your custom pitch used in your leagues by offering the LINK to it to all the coaches in your league.
It would be up to them to use them... not sure you could force them to use them or not.
But that could be a cool way to make your league stand out above some others.
clownthulhu

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2017 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

That would be a great solution to me, I'm just not sure how to upload a custom pitch and use it.
paradocks

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2017 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think with the old Javabbowl client it was possible to do what Catalyst32 was saying, or you could also use custom pitches in a rudimentary way before the logos were limited to just your half of the field, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to do it any more. Maybe editing the new client itself as someone did for Token Bowl or something
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 03, 2017 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

You'd have to confirm with Christer, but I think it's something he wants to implement. The client can implement custom pitches and Garion has done a lot of work on custom pitches. However coding the site then marrying the site to the client has not been done and only Christer could tell you how much work that'd involve and how much of a priority.

Yes, you could do it with the old Java client (I think I have around 100 pitches for it). This as a downloadable client was personal though. I.e. you could use any pitch you wanted and only you'd see that pitch. You could link it as mentioned above, the same for personal icons.

Southern Wastes League have done a lot with overlays. They have a set format overlay, that if both teams use them makes for a whole pitch overlay, which really does look great. It's probably at this point your best bet.

I'd like to see your pitch by the way, if you want to show it (and in all honesty let me steal it for personal use). From that I could give you some tips on pitch making or.........if you're any good you'll be giving me tips.

Garion is another you might like to talk to on pitches.
clownthulhu

Post   Posted: May 03, 2017 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, I may try out the overlay idea. As for the pitch, I haven't made it yet as I wanted to make sure I could implement it before I put the time in. I have some sprites for a game I was working on for a class that I was going to use as tiles to make a Lustrian pitch. The sprites were little limestone blocks for a pyramid and looked like they'd make a great pitch. I have no experience in making a pitch, so I'd be happy to hear any advice.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 03, 2017 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin did a pitch maker at one point. It has various things you can add including dots for marking your squares.

There are basically 2 ways you can make a pitch. Put dots on or as you plan to make tiles. If you make it a tile pitch you can either turn the tiles or make the tiles a slightly different colour to represent the different tiles.

I tend to turn the tiles, then make them a slightly different colour for the wide zones.

As for different weather, this depends on how much effort you want to put in. Some of the guys have pretty much made a new pitch for the different weather conditions. However how much effort do you really want to put in for a blizzard pitch that may get used once every 10 or 20 games?

So one way is to make overlays to go over your pitch. I tend to lay the pitch, then put a weather overlay on at around 80%, then relay the pitch over it at around 15%...anyway you can play around with the numbers.

You can make a lava lay for example on gimp that's great for the heat pitch.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 03, 2017 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I just checked I have a 'lava' example in my pitches folder in my gallery. I did have some nice SWL examples to, however it looks like I deleted them. IIRC there wasn't much interest in what I was suggesting.

Anyway lava example of a heat pitch.

paradocks

Post   Posted: May 03, 2017 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Had to do a little scouting around to find it but Board Ball was the name I was trying to remember. IIRC they manage to use custom pitches by editing the client, https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=10756&op=view
Garion

Post   Posted: May 03, 2017 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I've done a load of them. Currently only the black box and fumbbl cup ones are in use .

It is possible to use custom pitches on the client in theory but not on the site side yet.

1 thing that is very important regarding pitches is the work HAS to be your own. You cannot use existing custom pitches that have been made for sale by companies.

As for when this will be possible to do only christer can answer

Last edited by Garion on May 03, 2017 - 09:16; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: May 03, 2017 - 08:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is a speedball 2 pitch I made from scratch

paradocks

Post   Posted: May 03, 2017 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

GET READY!
 Jump to: