37 coaches online • Server time: 12:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

so should you 1d block or not? my general view is if you have the option and it is not vital (e.g. at the end of your turn and the player isn't protecting play) you should always make a 1d block. Particularly if you have block skill and even more if you have tackle.

What are your thoughts?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Like most things with BB, it depends. Is a 2d6 hit on the ball carrier made possible by a 1d6? Maybe I should take it. Is it a 1d6 block against an av7 player while I have MB and the player in question has no hope of getting back into the play area before a score? Will definitely consider it. Is it a 1d6 because there's an assist against me instead of a 1v1, I might sit tight.

I don't think there's a catch all heuristic for making 1d6 blocks though - certainly not one that would put me in a position to make that 1d6 block almost every time its available. Sometimes not blocking at all is the right move.
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Considerations:
- Chances of my player being on the ground vs chances of his player being on the ground.
- Relative worth of the players being on the ground (if he has jump-up, putting him on the ground means very little)
- Chances of each player being removed from this drive, vs tactical value
- Chances of each player being removed from the game, vs tactical value (if I have a full bench and he doesn't, more likely to take the chance)
- Do I need to have this player somewhere else? (If his rookie is tying up my blodge/sf/g guy)

If it's just rookie vs rookie, sure, go ahead and throw a block if nothing else means anything.
paradocks

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes taking a 2d block (or a 3db for that matter) can be an utterly terrible play. With every single action you should have a clear idea of what you're trying to achieve.

So if there's a purpose in doing the 1d block, and it's helping you achieve a well thought out goal, then yes definitely. But just throwing 1d blocks without thinking is probably bad.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

As mrt says, it's a complex question that depends very much on the specific circumstance, but I'd say, if we're talking about 'gratuitous' 1d blocks, after you've done the more critical stuff for your turn, and your player has Block, more often than not, you should 1d block.

If your player has Block, then there is only a 1-in-6 chance of rolling a skull and (assuming they don't have blodge and you no tackle), there is more chance of you bringing down the opponent than the other way around. And, after all, the more armour rolls you make on your opponent's players, the more chances you have of taking them out. Also, even if you just achieve a pushback, that will prevent the opposing player from blocking yours next turn (assuming you don't follow up).

However, it is very situational. Reasons I might not take a gratuitous 1d block:

• My player has no Block and/or has Loner and the opponent does have Block (although, in this case, there is a higher chance of the oppo bringing down my player next turn, if I don't try the 1d)
  • My player has low AV and no Block, and/or the opponent has MB (in this case, for an AG4 player, I might be more inclined to try to 2+ dodge away)
  • It's more important positionally for my player to tie up the opponent for their next turn, especially if I have Blodge and they have no Tackle
  • My opponent has Blodge/SS and I have no Tackle, in which case 1d blocking might be likely to improve their position
  • My player is a vampire and I don't want to risk the bloodlust

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm of the opinion it is almost always better to make a block than not make a block. 3 sides of the dice (assuming block and tackle) take down an opponent, only 1 is a risk to you. even if your opponent has block if you have tackle then you still have a 1/3 chance of knockdown as opposed to them making the block and knocking you down...

Obviously this will vary on circumstances but generally making a block is better than taking a block imo.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh. Depends on the race/team and circumstances.

I might throw a lot of 1d if I'm heavily outguarded/out strengthed and simply have to. I might throw 1d vs a better coach/team if I'm simply trying to increase the variance (although I usually don't) and see if I can spoil his game a bit.

I will generally throw a gratuitous zombie block as last move if it's in an area I care nothing about. But even then I still think about numbers (both on and off-field) and turns left.

But for the most part, I'm actually more inclined not to throw the 1d at all. It's a 1/6 chance for failure I won't reroll. Why even roll it?

Because 90% of the time, I will happily trade you a block for position, even if you remove my player, that's still another turn you've not moved your own unless you use your blitz there. Better yet, you may even have moved someone else there to assist.

Most of the players I maintain base contact with are trash marking better opposition. Blocking isn't really necessary, getting punched may well be.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Note that dodge without reroll or dodge skill is 33% to fail.

But 1d block without block skill or reroll is also 33% to fail.

With ag3 piece i actually might do 1d rather than dodge unless i need assist, coverage, backup or scoring threat elsewhere (which are usually dodges/blitzes that i would reroll anyways).

Something like human or skaven lino doesn't always need to dodge away.

But i don't aimensly just block every 1d i can either. Sometimes it's good to just to have guy marking another forcing them to either dodge, block or commit assists. Sure, dodging or blocking might be better but then again it might risk opponent having more room to move.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends:

Don't 1d block a longbeard with a rookie human lino
Do 1d block a rookie human lino with a longbeard

Things to consider:

• Skills of both players, specially but not exclusively those block related
  • Relative danger of blocking vs getting blocked vs dodging away (the grass doesn't have clawMB)
  • Resistence to damage of both players (AV, thick-skull...) vs damaging capabilities of both players
  • Mobility of both players (MA, AG, dodge) and likelyness that they'll hit back vs dodge away next turn
  • Positional consequences of freeing an opposing player vs benefits of a successful block

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a risk-reward question and the individual circumstances of a 1db can vary widely. Typically a 1db can be in favour of the blocker (because there are 3 potential defender down results compared with 2 potential attacker down results on a block die and because a push back result may be advantageous to the attacker). However, timing is everything as a 1db can easily result in a turnover.

If I throw a 1db it is usually because it has a high potential reward (e.g. it has something to do with the ball, a crowd surf or one of their valuable/fragile players.) or because it is the end of my turn and suffering a turn over is of reduced concern. Whether I have a reroll I am willing to use on the result is another key consideration.

Never make a block just because you can, only because you want to.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

If you think you have a 2D block then click block only to see 1D be rolled, you will pow it every time

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Faulcon

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Or if you think your troll is next to someone for really stupid but isn't, it's a guaranteed cas, right stu?

On topic as everyone already said, the answer isn't yes or no, it's maybe.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 14:40
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

try for 3db all the time and suffer to 2db when you have no other choice.
whats a 1db?
zakatan

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Faulcon wrote:
Or if you think your troll is next to someone for really stupid but isn't, it's a guaranteed cas, right stu?

Diving tackle never works when unnoticed. It's a skill targeted at good players.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I throw a lot of 1d blocks, like 2 or 3 most matches, usually to set up a hit on the ball, or get my own ball out of some problem or another. Some games, I even throw a -2d, often because Dauntless fails me on a big and it's better odds to go for the push.

The players I do it more with are low AV players with Wrestle, because usually it's the safest thing they can do to avoid taking another armour roll. Dorfs and whatever else should really just take the hit and burn up their opponent's turn instead. In either case, the more important consideration is what a push does for your relative positioning, or if a failed dodge instead should at least leave the body as a road block.

The top coaches will mostly 4+ dodge a dorf instead of taking a 1d, because they're already out of position and that needs fixed. If they were in the right place, it wouldn't be a 1d.