80 coaches online • Server time: 21:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Myrdin

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I challenged Alibaba's skaven with my amazons, I noticed I had alot of cash lieing around, bought a wizard and started the server. He takes note of this and refuses to connect. Here follows the log:

Quote:
[06:12] <Myrdin> game is up
[06:12] <Alibaba> you could have told that you are buying wizard.. i would have play against you.. but not cos you didnt tell me that
[06:12] <Alibaba> dont bother to wait
[06:12] <Myrdin> err what?
[06:13] <Alibaba> no game
[06:13] <Myrdin> thats against the rules
[06:13] <Alibaba> what?
[06:13] <Myrdin> you cannot decline games if I buy a wizard after accepting
[06:14] <Myrdin> read the rules guidelines, it says so there
[06:14] <Alibaba> A game is considered to have started at the moment the clients connect. At this point you are committed to the game and must play it out. Note that this includes scenarios where your opponent purchased new players after the mutual agreement to play. This rule does not apply if any of the participants connects with a team other than the one the game was agreed on.
[06:14] <Alibaba> game starts when client connect
[06:14] <Alibaba> so game is not started
[06:14] <Myrdin> so, how do you purchase players after its connected?
[06:14] <Alibaba> you dont
[06:14] <Alibaba> its in case i dont see it
[06:15] <Alibaba> if i connect and you have bought some stuff.. or i have bought
[06:15] <Myrdin> well, lets ask admins
[06:15] <Myrdin> I still feel its very bad form on your part
[06:15] <Alibaba> just dont care
[06:16] <Myrdin> I can see that you dont

We asked in #fumbbl_admin about this and the answer was that if said player does not connect the game does not count.

So, to me that means that hosting a game puts you at a great tactical disadvantage on Fumbbl, since that means that you cannot spring a wizard/starplayers on someone (as you are able on the tabletop)

Bottom line, never host a game, since that puts you at a huge disadvantage, wait for opponent to host and then scout the team to see if any starplayers or wizards are active to be able to decline.
Kenty

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 07:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder how long until they take this posting away.... my guess is 5 minutes. Smile
Mully

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 07:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah..... this has been covered on other threads already.

FUMBBL is not tabletop, pre-game is different as Alibaba wouldnt have had the opportunity to purchase his own wizard had he not seen yours.

Play straight up and you dont have to worry about it.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 07:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Just some advise on other players as to how the rules are set up, to avoid this kind of thing happening to anyone else.

Alibaba was totally within the rules, so thats not a problem, everyone should be aware how the rules work though and how to avoid these things from happening.

I just regret that I didn't know this particular rule and therefore fell for nasty trick. I will know better next time, I'll be happy if someone learns from my mistake, much as I just did.
falconeyed

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The bottom line seems to be that you shouldn't try to sneak a star player or a wizard on someone.

Like another response said ... play straight up.
Quod

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 07:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I would refuse to play the game against you too, because that is "not" the team I agreed to play against.

Purchasing new things or dumping TR "right" before a game is one of the things that gets people on my DNP lists (which also doubles as a "get back at them later" list).

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Your reason is lame buddy.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Myrdin wrote:
I just regret that I didn't know this particular rule and therefore fell for nasty trick.

Nasty trick?! Think about this whole incident again. First from your perspective, then from your opponent's perspective.

Now who's the one who was trying to play the nasty trick?
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny, usually it's the other way around. The host has the team they agreed to play with, with no extra purchases, but the <b>player joining</b> buys a wizard, star, etc and there is nothing the hosting player can do. It can go either way, but I don't think it's fair to fault the host as it's within the rules. One way to be sure though is to reload the page a few times right before you join. Make sure you're a minute late connecting to be sure. Wink

But yeah generally the host has quite a disadvantage. Nonetheless I still host most of my games, simply so I can see when specs join. Razz

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Why plan to ambush someone with hiring wizard or star players secretly? For beein fair its not that hard to tell "oh, and Im planning on hiring wiz/star for this game" and you and your opponent can have fairer and nicer game where both are enjoying the game. Tournament games are whole different case, but there your opponent can not decide afterwards weather he is goin to play his schedueled game or not.
Most of us play open league games here for fun, and that doesnt mean its fun to make someone play hours game where he is pissed off about something you did.
Ray_Gitzkey

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Again, play straight up and there wouldn't have been a problem!
Uber

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

/me writes on a piece of paper... "DNP: Myrdin" Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

you tried to ambush.. he managed to escape....you got what you deserved
gansus

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Some days ago, my opponent bought a wizard and took 2 coach-helpers (i know thats not the expression, sorry, but im sure you know what i mean) out WHILE I WAS WAITING FOR HIM TO JOIN. I felt totally tricked, just because if we play the game of changing things in the team, this time not to give me one handicap, then the last one wins all, and the last one is the client, always.

Apart from that nasty experience, i think Alibaba is right both in th rules and in the "reasoning beyond the rules": opponent tried to sneak a wizard in so he does not wanna play, as simple as that. What amazes me is opponent saying he "felt tricked"...
Sparticus

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2004 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Why are we even having this conversation, buying a wirard is basicly usless only team that need to wory about hen i dwarf teams, (low agility), buying a wizard still counts towards your TR as 5 points as does 50k, cheerleadres till count towards... cheerleaders affect 1 roll on the kick off, as do assistant coaches... and just for a liitle bit of info if u play a team in table top, you do have the chance to hire and starts. wizards, cheerladers, ect ect b4 the start of the game... if u wann protect ya self when u ask someone to play LOOK AT THERE $$$$... and if they got 200k there ask them....
 Jump to: