32 coaches online • Server time: 00:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VonManson

Post   Posted: May 12, 2017 - 07:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all.

So I have started using these delightful mutants and on the whole I am having a lot of fun. My question for them is about the new mvp rules. I never played them with random mvp which I think would have helped the goblins to skill up.

With the pick mvp I think for a lot of teams there are obvious choices like vamps for example but on underworld it seems everyone wants to be mvp, and it is hard not to focus on the workhorse troll and skaven positionals.

The problem is that you then can't really do anything with the goblins and they either get bashed off the pitch giving the opponent player advantage or they are turn over magnets.

How much time should be spent getting two heads on these guys?

Thanks
Kondor

Post   Posted: May 12, 2017 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I love underworld and the MVP rule helps them. Your blitzers should get MVPs until they have MB/Claw/Tackle/Guard. You may want to do the same with your thrower with Block/2heads. After that, I would recycle gobos until you get one with +Ag or +St or a double for wrestle. With wrestle or +St, he becomes your go to guy to get into cages. Once you have this guy go ahead and give him some MVPs too. Foul appearance, 2 heads, and sidestep will make him better at what he does.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 12, 2017 - 07:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly.

Probably none. You might want one with two heads for mobile assists or a desperation ttm.

But you really want a goblin with +AG (for the ttm), that said, I wouldn't be throwing MVPs at them to try and get it. You will have games where you need to score with them and so they may well get skills from that, but I wouldn't be actively giving 0spp goblins MVPs.

The way things are, 2 goblins with two heads are the same price as 3 goblins, and having the the extra goblin for the bench is usually of more use than having two with two heads.

Previously, what to do with goblins that skilled was somewhat of a debate - some people took two heads, some people took foul appearance, and some people just fired them. Obviously, they can become very useful players - wrestle, horns etc. But they'll always be fragile and the cost seldom gets converted on the pitch because of that.

I would mvp the Skaven Blitzers and the Troll most games. Linerat and Thrower if close to a skill, but otherwise let them fend for themselves.

The goblins you just need to screen with in a manner that means you don't have to dodge all of them every turn, and accept that you will be eating a block/failed dodge with one or two every so often.

[edit] this is kinda a box-centric viewpoint. League you'll want to skill goblins eventually. Ranked you can do whatever since the TV cost will only bite you if you let it.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2017 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, I do not use line rats. With AV7 and no dodge they are more fragile and less maneuverable than goblins.
tussock

Post   Posted: May 12, 2017 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Line rats make great fast wracklers, and they're easy to keep out of TZs until needed, or just wrestle fools anyway.

I think the team benefits most strongly from the ability to move the ball between rats, +ma rats and twohead dodging with a decent big hand NoS thrower is where it's at. CPOMB is dead and a decent loose ball game used to beat it anyway.

Obviously you need a guardfirm claw tents juggs bt troll, so MVP it every game anyway, unless there's skills to be had.

Lastly, a bench is over-rated, just win early.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2017 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah but Two Heads Goblins are so much fun and if you get a double or +AG on a Goblin first skill = win. Haven't played UW in the new rules but think you'll have to nominate a Gobbo (that already has 1-3 SPP) every once in a while. Blitzers and Troll are most important of course but can't keep them all!
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 12, 2017 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

In most situations, blitzers and troll should be the 3 nominees for MVP at least until 31 spp.

Unless for some reason there's another player that needs the spp, probably a +STAT thrower or a +AG goblin that need more skills to shine.

When the core players have their essential skills (claw, mb, guard, tackle), you can opt to spread spp to second tier players or just keep with the 3 + fodder structure which will help you keep a lowish TV where the team is most efficient.

I don't believe ordinary goblins should be getting MVPs ever.