47 coaches online • Server time: 17:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Who should turn into a really disturbing High Elf?
Aralaniel, Catcher, Dodge, Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Sure Feet (83 SPP)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Ilironahr, Catcher, +MA, Mighty Blow, Block, Dodge (72 SPP)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Sainor, Catcher, +ST, Block (29 SPP)
25%
 25%  [ 12 ]
Nuhian, Blitzer, Dodge, Tackle, Side Step (34 SPP)
31%
 31%  [ 15 ]
Salarell, Lineman, +AG, Dodge (22 SPP)
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Someone else (comment below)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Macavitiy!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Leave me alone, showoff!
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 47

Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Ilironahr...and then receives passblock at 76

Post   Posted: May 23, 2017 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of interesting answers, suggestions and a poll with no clear winner.

What do I draw from this? There are four situation I can think of where Disturbing Presence could be put to good use (some of them could happen combined):

a) Reducing a waiting receiver's chance to catch the ball (no matter whether pass of hand-off). This is pretty straight forward, as in many situations the receiver cannot move before the pass is made.

b) Reducing a player's chance to throw the pass. This is more difficult, as the thrower can often avoid being in reach of Disturbing Presence. On the other hand it can also increase the difficulty if the thrower has no chance but to suffer -1 from Disturbing Presence or greater distance. Still, this is probable less common.

c) Making a hand-off in the midst of a throng more difficult. Thanks for pointing this one out to me! In some situations (especially when marked by Diving Tackle), the best option is for the ball carrier to hand off the ball to another player.

d) After sacking the opposed ball carrier when retrieving the ball is not possible (or fails), Disturbing Presence could reduce the chance for the opponent to get the ball out.

I think a) and c) are the most common scenarios. a) can be performed by pretty much every player who can get into reach - which favors those who have higher speed. Aside from that, he*she doesn't need special qualities. There is a synergy with the DT+T+SS combo, but it also means the opponent has the chance to remove both threats with one Blitz. c) Should certainly be a player who has AV 8 - and Side Step is nice, too (as someone pointed out it gives additional control over where the player ends up (and DP works even if the player gets knocked over/stunned).

b) needs very good mobility (ideally AG 5), since getting to the thrower is often harder than to the receiver. d) could mean that the sacker/retriever himself has DP as a bonus - and if he wrestles the ball carrier down, he es even safe from all attacks but a foul (which is often too risky if the ball is loose).

In conclusion I first tended to give Disturbing Presence to Salarell, the AG 5 lineman. Even though slow, AG 5 and Dodge grants him interesting options and he can sill get Leap as well. Therefor, I'd also give him Wrestle instead of Block (most likely as next skill), since it helps with sacking and doesn't hurt when he tries to retrieve a ball (assuming that he can still pass). Wrestle also means he'll be blocked less (though probably fouled more).

Second choice would have been Nuhian, the poll winner. I hesitated, because he is not special and I treat him like that - i.e. he often gets into dangerous situations.

But in the end, I decided to go with Nuhian for three reasons:
1. He's well suited for scenario a) and c).
2. He won't get a random mutation. Many of them would be cooler on Salarell, as I can still skill him in a fitting way. Salarell has so much potential and it depends a lot on his upcoming rolls.
3. He becomes very special. Smile

Thanks for all the input!

Edit:
I also really like the Pass Block idea, but this team is supposed to (continue to) be as competitive as it gets (in my hands). Wink

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

So, let me present you my mutated elves:

Ilironahr
Catcher
9 3 4 7
Catch, +MA, Mighty Blow, Block, Dodge, Very Long Legs
(72 SPP)

Nuhian
Blitzer
7 3 4 8
Block, Dodge, Tackle, Side Step, Disturbing Presence
(34 SPP)

Periar
Lineman
6 3 4 8
Block, Guard, Dodge, Claw
(33 SPP)

Pretty good! Smile

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

claw elf is best elf!
congratulations!

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice
Assuming you'll get Leap next on VLL guy?
Rabe

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems only appropriate and fits well with MA 9, even though he lacks Tackle, Strip Ball, Sure Hands etc. - but I don't think I should skip the chance to leap on 2+ - unless he rolls another stat increase, that is.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad you didn't choose me! I have no desire to be a mutated high elf. I hate the ocean.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

This is Classic! Claw and very long legs. Those are the best mutations you could have randomly pulled for elves in my opinion.
Medon

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Now the claw elf needs a double!
Rabe

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Another one, yeah. Would be fun. Smile

Jump to: