44 coaches online • Server time: 11:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 11:12
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All

I assume a number of you have now picked up and read Deathzone Season 2. One thing that stood out to me, that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere, was that the infamous coaching staff rules weren't included in the Optional Rules section. Instead they were in the New Rules section along with the new teams. So from that we can only deduce that infamous coaching staff aren't optional, and are new inducements coming for all games, and will be added to FUMBBL in due time.

So who are they, and what do they do?
For those that haven't read it I'll give a brief overview.

There's 6 of them, they're inducements, and like star players they're only available to selected teams, and teams can't both have the same one.

Name: Horatio X. Schottenheim, Master Mage
Cost: 80k
Teams: Any Team
Ability: "Take This! Ooops..." Once per half Horatio can cast a fireball. Timing is the same as old Wizard. Fireball scatters D3 squares in D8 direction. Players hit on 4+ and with Mighty Blow, as Fireball.

Name: Kari Coldsteel, Norse Cheerleader
Cost: 50k
Teams: Amazon, Dwarf, Human, Norse
Ability: "If you want the job done..." Kari counts as 3 cheerleaders. Additionally, if her team cannot set up 11 players Kari may join the field (Coaches choice). Stays for 1 drive then sent off. 6237 Block, Dauntless, Frenzy, Loner.

Name: Fink da Fixer, Goblin PA
Teams: Ogre, Orc, goblin, Underworld
Ability: "You got it, Boss!" Counts as 3 Assistant Coaches. Additionally they can re-roll bribes and argue the call on a 5+. Sent off if Argue the Call fails (not sure if this means roll of 1 or anything other than 5+)

Name: Papa Skullbones, Chaos Shaman
Teams: Chaos, Pact, Nurgle
Ability: "By the power of the Gods!" Choose a player at the start of each drive and roll a D8. A player can't be chosen if he was already picked this match.
1. Player is KO'd
2. Select a random player and roll again
3. Big Hand and Very Long Legs
4. Tentacles and Prehensile Tail
5. Foul Appearance and Disturbing Presence
6. Extra Arms and 2 heads
7. Claws and Horns
8. Pick from above

Name: Galandril Silverwater, Elven Cheerleading Coach
Teams: Pro, High and Wood Elves
Ability: "Go Team!" Cheerleaders count double (or gain 1 if 0 cheerleaders). Additionally each time her team scores a TD, intercepts or causes a cas, roll a d6. On a 6 the team gain a re-roll.

Name: Krot Shockwhisker, Skaven Engineer
Teams: Skaven, Underworld
Ability:"A new playthi.... er, patient!" At the start of any drive before setup Krot can experiment on one player who has been Badly Hurt or Seriously injured. Roll a D6. Any injuries suffered still apply.
1. Make another casualty roll. Players only miss 1 game if MNG is rolled a second time.
2-3. No effect
4-5. Player returned to Reserves and can be set up. Player can play for this drive and is then returned to the Dead & Injured box. Player has Really Stupid for this drive.
6. As above, but without Really Stupid.

So, what do people think? New low-cost inducements can only be a good thing Smile

Edited for clarity and to add more information.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum

Last edited by mister__joshua on %b %22, %2017 - %17:%May; edited 2 times in total
Christer

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 11:24
FUMBBL Staff

I haven't been able to pick up my copy yet. It sas sent from the UK Friday and I'm hoping to be able to pick it up on Wednesday. We'll see though.

Interesting set of inducements though.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 11:40
FUMBBL Staff

I think they could be fun! I have the app version. Worth noting (I didn't realise for hours) that you have to update the app before you can buy the new book. I assumed it'd just appear in the store.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the price points of the additions in DZ2. We may actually see the stars in the wild, and these inducements seem similarly obtainable.

Wish my book would hurry up and arrive... Smile
huff

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I gotta feeling racial wizards are comming based on the induced coaching staff.

As far as this crop of staff, I'm not big fan of the D6/D8 staff (or both D6 if you go by what's written(the typos still continue)), as those 1's on the charts are pretty devastating compared to a success, respectively.

Last edited by huff on %b %22, %2017 - %22:%May; edited 1 time in total
AzraelEVA

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Is the Skaven Engineer a one time use like an apo? Or do you have to roll for him to work?
Norse Cheerleader seems really good (I am assumeing the player is just a normal 6 3 3 7 player)
Is the crap wizard an on pitch wizard?
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the wizard one sounds pretty good. Even with a d3 scatter, there would be a fairly good chance of doing some damage to a 3x3 cage, and it costs much less than the regular wiz. Some of the other ones sound decent as well. Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
koadah

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
I think the wizard one sounds pretty good. Even with a d3 scatter, there would be a fairly good chance of doing some damage to a 3x3 cage, and it costs much less than the regular wiz. Some of the other ones sound decent as well. Smile

IMO the wizard sounds terrible. Especially for 80k. Do you still have to roll to see if a player is knocked over?

Is the scatter 1-3, 0-2, something else? It could easily be worse than useless.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The crap Wizard doesn't seem bad. Even if not accurate, it makes stalling more risky.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

"the crap wizard"

And here was Endzone and I using "the dungeonbowl wizard" as a prize who can't target the ballcarrier because he's old and blind...

GW ARE STEALING FROM US!!!! Wink

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 15:38
FUMBBL Staff

Edited the OP to give more info

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Once per half! That is amazing for 80k. Looking forward to elves winning every major from now on! Razz

Edit: If centered on a 3x3 cage, there's a 2/3 chance that the fireball will cover at least one player and 1/3 it will cover the ballcarrier. Possibly more importantly, the psychological effect ...

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't it pretty risky, though? (Potentially) 3 x D8 scatters, how often are you going to be confident enough to drop that? Most of the time you're confident enough to go at the ball / a screen without hitting your own guys, it's going to be too far away to take advantage, and when it's close enough, you've a big risk of hitting your own defence?

I had this card in a game earlier this year (one use, not once per half). I was delighted to draw it, but I found it almost impossible to find 'the right time'. It felt like I had as much chance of giving the game away as making a huge positive impact.

It remains to be seen how it goes over a large sample size, but I'm not immediately worried about it.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

@Purplegoo: to clarify, is it 3x d8 scatters? I read it as d3 squares in a d8 direction. Imo, what you suggest would be even more powerful! Smile

mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 22, 2017 - 16:25
FUMBBL Staff

Just to clarify, by my reading it's a scatter of D3 squares in D8 direction (like half a kick-off) rather than D3 x D8 scatters (like a missed throw).

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
 Jump to: