34 coaches online • Server time: 13:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Normal on s4 Blodger?
Sure Hands
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Sidestep
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
Tackle
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Something else even more awesomer
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

details5252

Post   Posted: May 25, 2017 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

This player on this team rolled a normal for his 3rd skill. Had +ST and Dodge already. I'm thinking he should be my ball carrier. I'm trying to decide between Sure Hands and Sidestep. Or would it better to go for Tackle and make him a hitter? Thoughts?
Jeffthejar

Post   Posted: May 25, 2017 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I would vote against Tackle in this case, I think at mid-range TV that 1 tackler is serviceable, especially with frenzy also on the team... sidestep is just always nice to have, especially with ST 4 blodge... there is so much utility there, that I think sidestep is what I would go for.

Wouldn't be necessarily opposed to sure hands, as that is a nice counter to strip ballers of course... but I think that ST 4 Blodge-step is too good to pass on, and maybe I'd give him sure hands on his next level.
m0gw41

Post   Posted: May 25, 2017 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

SS first then surehands. He skill up quick enough and if you are really worried about strip ball you are playing ranked anyway so you can always choose not to face it if you are that way inclined.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2017 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

m0gw41 wrote:
if you are really worried about strip ball you are playing ranked anyway so you can always choose not to face it if you are that way inclined.
BOO! Razz
m0gw41

Post   Posted: May 25, 2017 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
m0gw41 wrote:
if you are really worried about strip ball you are playing ranked anyway so you can always choose not to face it if you are that way inclined.
BOO! Razz

We'll he is clearly a dirty picker anyway Razz

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 06:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have taken sure hands and made that guy my ball carrier.
okostomi

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

First SS then score with him a lot so that you may get SH later.
Grod

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Done now anyway but leap is powerful too.

Oscar Wilde
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 09:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

This whole thread is a big steaming heap of wrong.

First:
It's a terrible idea to make him your Ball Carrier and more people should be telling you so.

Unless you are solely playing Elven Races and Slann then most drives your BC should not be getting hit, and then 50TV sat wasted on the BC while the opponent uses it on something that is actually active and doing stuff, means every game is harder.

Don't get me wrong, a +str BC is a 'nice to have', but +ag BC is probably more use. The ball and BC need to mobile always but especially on elves. +str is better on teams where the BC may have to hit his way out/through trouble, like Dwarves or Orcs.

Secondly:
for a DE to have a 'designated BC' is like a manufactured all girl pop band having a 'designated fanciable one'. Sure one might do it better, but all need to be up for it. You might want a blodge/SH elf to go get the ball at first but thats the closest you should get to a 'BC'. Really its a term that only makes sense for lower AG races.

Thirdly:
Nuffle gave you +str and you don't plan to use it. Its like taking a ferrari to your local supermarket. Sure you can, but people will laugh at you.

+STR should be hitting stuff.
Especially on a team of str3 players. He can blitz without(or with one less) assist, giving you a whole elf each turn to move to better places.

He can frighten people and change the game by their fear of him, even if they have a str4 BC they still have to fear him. It will change how opponents play as every turn they will consider and counter your str4 nightmare.

That 50TV needs to punch its weight. It needs to 'Do Stuff' or it's bloat.

Conclusion:
Tackle helps him hit stuff, a good choice.
Side Step makes him a nightmare to get rid of and keeps him in the action, a good choice.
Leap ('bad' odds at 1/3 fail) is usually saved for ag5, but will terrify your opponent as 2 out of 3 times (8 in 9 with reroll) you can land a str4 in their BC's face at will. It's a risky choice but a good one.

Sure hands will 'help' you elf ball badly and mislead your team building. Avoid. It's the wrong choice.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm. Thank you PurpleChest. Wise advice and it has changed my mind.
m0gw41

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I mostly agree PC, I not a fan of benching expensive ball handlers, he needs to pull his weight all game but I think there are alot of advantages to running a ST4 carrier, you can run a looser cage or screen and he can blitz his way out of trouble in a pinch. Certainly he is a good choice whilst there is no ag5 or sure hands player. I would also rather be blitzing with the tackle - mighty blow guy than this one, but you are right giving him sure hands could be a bit of a waste so you have convinced me of tackle next (but I would still use him to mostly carry for now, for the spp as well as the benefits above), maybe not against all opposition though.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 12:21
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I never said don't carry ball with him, just don't build him as a ball carrier.

Str4 AG4 can carry any ball just about anywhere as is.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

This sounds like good advice from PC. I rarely take Sure Hands on my elf teams, as I want them to be more aggressive. Plus, even if a stripper does pop the ball loose, with their speed and agility, elves can usually recover the ball better than most other teams anyway.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion, Frenzy is nice too on a ST 4 DE blitzer.
morehouse

Post   Posted: May 26, 2017 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, +ST on a ballcarrier is all the wrong idea. If your carrier is getting hit you have already failed. Use him as a blitzer or a roadblock so leap/tackle or SS are great.
 Jump to: