27 coaches online • Server time: 14:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Should I allow my 11 year old son to play on fumbbl?

As a newcomber, I think other coaches might be frustrated with his slow/low strategy style of play, but what do you think?
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I definitely think the game is age-appropriate, if that's what you're asking.

And with an experienced player to coach him, I doubt if he'll be any more frustrating to play that some of the other randos who use the site.

Cheers for passing on the hobby!
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't let my 11 year old play Fummbl, unless it was vs me or other 11 year olds. There are too many pricks on here at times.

Jeffro
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

true, it would be nice if you could disable chat. A 14 and under league would be cool.

Last edited by MonkeyMan576 on %b %28, %2017 - %17:%May; edited 1 time in total
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

FWIW I won't let my boys play until they're 13 (they are currently 14 and 12, so only 1 so far).

Game-wise they take to things pretty quickly so the 14 yr old is playing reasonably well. Socially I'm a little more concerned as he has a tendency to chat a bit more during a game than I do, but *shrug*.

Where I think his biggest challenge lies is understanding when the dice are REALLY against him and when it's just perception bias. He is very hard on himself and tends to get pretty down after a loss...but then again, so me too. Sad

(I should point out I also only let them play in League with groups I'm comfortable with...)
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think age 13 is the cutoff age for fumbbl.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
Should I allow my 11 year old son to play on fumbbl?

As a newcomber, I think other coaches might be frustrated with his slow/low strategy style of play, but what do you think?

It will depend on the kid.

Noobs are noobs. That is the same however old they are.

How resilient is he?

Fumbbl probably has fewer dickheads per 1000 than most internet places that 11 year olds hang out. Wink

You might want to have a word with the 145 Club or another good league.

If you are worried about bad or inappropriate language... In my day you could hear worse in the school playground. Wink

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

In 145 we actively address poor sportsmanship. Not only do we give coaches an arena to learn how to play but how to be a nice coach also.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Where I live, if you lose more than 3 points (out of 6) on your driving licence in your first year as a driver, you have to attend a 3 days(?) course about security and well... basically being a nice guy on the road. FUMBBL admins should do the same with pricks: follow the 145 Club course for being a nice guy or don't be allowed to play in R or B anymore. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The way I read the thread title, I thought you were asking if you should have an 11-year-old son or not. Lol Wink

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
paradocks

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Fumbbl probably has fewer dickheads per 1000 than most internet places that 11 year olds hang out. Wink

You might want to have a word with the 145 Club or another good league.

If you are worried about bad or inappropriate language... In my day you could hear worse in the school playground. Wink

This is it, considering what a cesspool of filth the rest of the internet is I could hardly think of a more family friendly place to interact. Also I picked up TT blood bowl when I was 11 which began my lifelong obsession of the game, so I think younger minds can enjoy the game just as much as adults
ThierryM

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

A 11 years (works up to 21 in some countries) old at a TT tournament can only offer you a coca-cola...
The humiliation if he beats you ) No beer offered to drink yourself out in shame Embarassed

Back on the original question asked : find a league where coaches are well mannered ). They exist (145 being one).
And in leagues we get to know each other and know what we can say / do / foul depending on the coach we play with !
Gozer_the_Gozerian

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/05/23/12-year-old-japanese-girl-wins-first-mma-debut-against-someone-twice-her-age.html

If she can handle it, I'm sure your son will be OK.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Question is, can he handle Gozer's animated forum pic? Wink

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
PainState

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

My twin boys just turned 11 on Friday. They are still playing Diablo II and one of them plays World of Warships. I don't think they are ready yet for FUMBBL and Blood Bowl in particular.

They play TT BB with me on and off and are just not into it yet.