60 coaches online • Server time: 11:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How to beat skavens?
General strategies for your team works fine against skaven.
16%
 16%  [ 26 ]
Get rid of the runners and you'll be fine.
43%
 43%  [ 68 ]
Bash! Bash! Bash!
37%
 37%  [ 59 ]
Let me tell you something... ( see advice below )
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 158

DropDeadFred

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2004 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

90% of the time there runners, are there key players but the odd vermin with claw or somthing

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2004 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

or rat ogre. or 6 skilled line rat, basically if its a position player, take it out....

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2004 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
As the coach of two (moderately) successful skaven teams, I say the way to have more enjoyable success vs the rats is not to foul them to oblivion as is so commonly espoused. This leads merely to pissed off skaven coaches refusing to play you again. This may not bother some, but I've found the most enjoyable games come against repeat-coaches you've played before, not likely if you're fouling his boys repeatedly. (Rats don't take well to that.)

Players who refuse to play against someone who is using legit tactics in the game are just poor sportmen.
Sgt_Colon

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2004 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking as a Skaven coach...

I would agree with most of the stuff already posted by the other members. If your bashy hang onto the ball and bash! If not (say for woodies) don't know if anyone has thought of this but... score more than the rats do! Wink Sure way to win! Very Happy
Oh and on defence many coaches just chuck all their players forward to beat the poor weedy rats! Keep some back to deal with runners! Most teams can always spare a few guys as they already out bash the rats LOS. At least make it hard for the OT if they use them.
Still not sure what the fuss is about OT's you reciece after they score?! just get to bashing again! Oh and believe me it's possible to score in 2 turns even with half a rat team left on the pitch! So don't rely on out numbering the cage is what most bugs a low tr skaven team esp one with out an RO.

Cheers.
DropDeadFred

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2004 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

woodies can bash, but yea

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2004 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

My skaven team is a bashy one.

So what?

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2004 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably the best way to learn to defend against Skaven is to make a team and play some good coaches. Watch as they chew you up and try to figure out just what they did. Plan your turns ahead of time and try to think of what you don't want your opponent to do this turn...

Then, when you are playing against Skaven, do that thing you didn't want the other guy to pull off. Smile

Additionally, always keep in mind that those rats are fast. I know, it's obvious but it bears repeating. Protect the ball at all costs. When playing Skaven I always get my linerats into position and then send the GRs after that ball. A single lucky break and the rats can score. Maybe.

A slow, caging game is usually duller than dirt but it will drive those rats up a wall if you have to do it. Just remember to keep the ball protected and watch for those 2-die against blocks... GRs are notorious for that sort of thing.

I've always said that causing and capitalizing on turnovers is the most effective way to play poncy agility teams. Pay particularly close attention to defense. Look for that unlikely play and assume it will work. Then try to figure out how to salvage your drive. On offense, skaven can't actually score at will - as much as it may seem like it sometimes - so always look for your chance there as well.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Place 2 tackle players and your thrower deep on defense wait for them to charge the GR's forward and blitz the one with the ball then get the ball with the thrower and cage up the board (if he keeps the ball back supply TZ's on the GR's with the Tackles and put people in INT positions and hope he either fails the (Short-long) pass or you intercept then cage up the board) also if he kicks to you first stall and beat up his team
Diarmuid

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 03:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Always a pleasent post when zy-nox enters the fray. Smile

I agree with inquisitorpustus, skaven are a fairly weak opponent. If you are a paticularly slow team, let them receive the ball. That is good. Let them score, without letting know your letting them score Wink, then perform the always exciting 6 turn score. Stall in the second half and you have victory. If he has a one turner your objective is to block or foul it out of the game, then stack your guys on the line to prevent the push score. Well, you don't have to stack everyone only 3 really with two guys behind the outside two. Just that simple.

You hardly even have to foul to achieve this, unless his rat ogre is freakish or he is claw riddled, in which case he is begging to be given the boot.

Just a special note: Skaven always seem to dodge as much as any elf team I have ever played with. And oddly enough they succeed just as often. Maybe thats just me, but it certainly seems so when half his line dodges away...

Diarmuid
Glomp

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Someone agreed with me Shocked

Waaaaaaaa!

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2004 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have a basher team: Bash them! (They are WEAK) Just bash away all first half and dont forget to foul the GRs.

If you dont have a basher team: Well you are kind of screwed then...
 Jump to: