34 coaches online • Server time: 13:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Aneirin

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2017 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, about to start a league of blood bowl using the new rules, and I have gone for goblins.

Looking around I can't see much about the new positionals, aside from one article on the 'ooligan, and doesn't look that they have had much practical usage to see if they are any good or not (though some theory crafting in the deathzone 2 topic)

So, I am hoping to start off the league with the new positionals.

So here is the list:-

2 trolls
7 goblins
1 doom diver
1 ooligan
1 fanatic
1 looney

3 re-rolls
3 fan factor

Enough money left for one bribe (likely for the looney, don't seem to have much luck with the fanatic!)

This gives me 13 players, so even when I lose both secret weapon players, I will still have 11 (except...you know, for them getting injured)

The 3 fan factor starting off should help me get the starting fame, and with the ooligan I should stand a good chance of winning kick off results.

Thoughts? What would you lose if you absolutely wanted to try the new positionals (rather than not bothering with them at all due to TV bloat)

Only thing I am regretting is missing the pogoer (I could replace the ooligan for the pogoer...but then I wouldn't get to try the 'ooligan out)
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2017 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Drop the fan factor and switch the ooligan for a pogo.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2017 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

What optional rules are you using if any? I might attempt to roster fungus. Probaby possible to roster Ripper or the Squig from the start but the upkeep would kill you.

I wouldn't buy the fan factor. It's seriously garbage for a stunty team - chances are down the line all it does is cost you a bribe. I don't like the 'Ooligan, but if you take him he's basically there so gobbos have a shot at winning KOs without FF dumping.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2017 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
What optional rules are you using if any? I might attempt to roster fungus. Probably possible to roster Ripper or the Squig from the start but the upkeep would kill you.

I wouldn't buy the fan factor. It's seriously garbage for a stunty team - chances are down the line all it does is cost you a bribe. I don't like the 'Ooligan, but if you take him he's basically there so gobbos have a shot at winning KOs without FF dumping.

Likely to not have pitches and sponsorship deals, everything else should be in.

And I thought fan factor for a stunty team might be alright (one account they won't win many games, and as such buying some is the only way to deny the opponent winning kick off results)

Though i suppose if I got rid of the fan factor, I could replace a goblin for a pogoer, still leaves me with one bribe.

Kondor wrote:
Drop the fan factor and switch the ooligan for a pogo.

kinf of goes the whole 'try the 'ooligan' tactic out! Though could switch a player out for a pogoer if that's what you meant.

Maybe with most of the players not being reliant on bribes to keep them on the pitch it might work, or not, essentially as they are new I want to try them out.

Was thinking starting with higher fan factor may make the 'ooligan more likely to do his task (with giving me between 2 to 3 fame with some regularity to win kick off results)

So with the conditions:-

The roster must allow testing for 'ooligan and doomdiver, what would you reckon, fan factor, 3 fan factor, an extra pogoer, or leave both and have the extra 30,000 in cash to put towards future bribes / replacement players

Or redo the whole roster if I am dead keen on trying the doom diver and ooligan out?
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2017 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I just don't see the real, absolutely imperative, need to deny your opponent the KO results. You're not flings, it's not like him winning a reroll at KO is going to cancel out a chef. Rocks and Pitch invasions are quite rare otherwise. In my opinion, having the hooligan at all for the +1 to FAME is as much as I'd put in to try and win these rolls.

That 30k gives you more roster options, or is simply yet more cash you can spend on bribes etc. With the new treasury rules making TV truly additive (ie. if you're 20k down, you only need 30k for a bribe etc), every little last 10k of TV and gold really counts.

I mean, feel free to base your strategy around the little guy, but I don't really like him myself and I feel spending the 30k on the FF is just chasing bad with bad.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2017 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the tip. Will abandon the fan factor.

So that leaves the options as retain the cash to put towards bribes or help replace murdered goblins.

Or switch a goblin and the 30,000 for a pogoer. I am tempted to go for the pogoer simply cos I like the model!
AzraelEVA

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2017 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

You should only take the ooligan if you buy a bomber (FA can keep opponents from catching bombs and/or throwing them back) or if you are able to buy stadiums (there are some that can make the ooligan really good)
Aneirin

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2017 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

May have to build up to a bomber, if I take another secret weapon I don't have the bribes to keep team members up. Could replace the looney with him though the looney is a bit more reliable and easier to use.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2017 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

2 trolls - 220
looney - 40
fanatic- 70
pogo - 70
8 gobos - 320
rr 3 - 180
apo 50
950tv
induce 1 bribe.

I wouldn't stray from this one really. You could take a doom diver if you want instead of the pogo if you want to play with the new star, but i don't really think he is worthwhile.

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2017 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I didn't really answer the thread like that because I assume our thread poster must use the new minis, but honestly I think they're both complete wastes of time, especially in a league setting.

I might at an outside chance take the 'Ooligan in a tourney. But probably not.

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2017 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
2 trolls - 220
looney - 40
fanatic- 70
pogo - 70
8 gobos - 320
rr 3 - 180
apo 50
950tv
induce 1 bribe.

I wouldn't stray from this one really. You could take a doom diver if you want instead of the pogo if you want to play with the new star, but i don't really think he is worthwhile.

That does look solid, luckily we have having some practice matches for those that don't know the rules (and I do fully acknowledge that the over riding thoughts are the new positional aren't that good, but seems a shame not to try them out at least a little! Even if I am shooting myself in the foot)

Has anyone actually tried them out in a league setting or even casual play setting? (I am guessing people have, but anyone able to comment on them here)

I am having first practice games tonight, though with a limited point of reference due to not playing much, might not be able to give the best impressions of how they do!
Aneirin

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2017 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Not much to go on at the moment.

The 'ooligan, as expected, didn't do much (though playing against orcs there was no throwing and I didn't have a bomba), though did get lucky on the kick off rolls so the FAME didn't matter.

The doom diver enabled me to score a touch down, though the person I was playing against didn't really understand the rules (set up all of his orcs on the front line) and could have probably done the same with a regular goblin. It was fun to fly him around though! Having another set of friendlies next week to help new players understand the rules so will see if they are more amazing then (missing out on a bribe hurt due to an early bribe failing)
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2017 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

What are the basic mechanics on how the doom diver works? Obviously it is not implemented here yet.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2017 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

doom diver- 60k

Has stunty but doesn't get the bonus when dodging, only the negatives (-1 to to passing and +1 to injury).
When throwing him you use the d3 scatter template instead of the d8. You get +1 to landing. He doesn't have the dodge skill.

Basically it makes it easier to score OTT with him as long as there is no one in the way. He can also be used for throwing at cages. But he is very easy to take out and expensive.

The good news is he doesn't have Secret Weapon so doesn't get sent off.

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2017 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

60k vs 40k. I might not take him on a starting team but he would be fun to have around. Can the troll still eat him?
 Jump to: