43 coaches online • Server time: 15:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zhems

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

So I have been playing on here for a short while and , bar one game, every game has been a disappointment. And for one reason: time wasting.

Picture the game; its been a hard fought half, the ball has changed hands and my opponent has got possession and is on the touch line with movement to spare AND DOESN'T TOUCH DOWN! There aren't enough turns left for me to get a TD, so no reason not to complete except to cause grief to my team and try and rack up some SPP.

I signed up to this site as a way to relax, and have some fun with new people. If this way of playing is standard practice it's gonna be a lot less fun than I hoped.
jonno

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a relaxing and fun site. It's not time wasting. It's stalling.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Zhems, welcome to Fumbbl! Smile Almost everyone, at one point, has been where you are right now. And all those who have stayed on this site to play hundreds of games here have eventually accepted that "stalling" is a necessary tactic in competitive play, as is "caging". It is something you do, if you want to win games and develope teams. This is common knowledge here, proved by millions of matches that have been played.

Now, you may say this is not in the spirit of the game, or fun. Some will agree, others will disagree. Ranked and Blackbox are intended as competitive divisions so to answer your question, yes, stalling is standard practice there. It may be different in some of the Leagues.
Grod

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Many coaches do indeed take stalling too far, agreed Zhems. There is definitely a middle ground somewhere between being competitive and playing for fun.

G.

Oscar Wilde
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 13:48
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As someone new to the site, you should check out the 145 Club and contact Throweck about getting involved. It's a league for new coaches and very big on fun and fairness.

Enjoy the site Very Happy

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Ranked and Black Box Divisions are the Competitive arenas of the site, as such I would heartily recommend playing in a League Division (Group) of like minded people, the 145 Club is for coaches new site or with a not too shiny record but the games can be as competitive there at times (although the current crop are all a good bunch Wink ).

Welcome to FUMBBL!

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

There might not be enough turns left for you to score (though 1 turn is enough with some luck for most teams) but there's certainly enough time for you to knock down 3 guys on the line and gang foul one of them. Why would your opponent do that to their team for no reason except to make you happy? It's perfectly normal and realistic, clock management and time in possession are major factors in most team sports.

Besides, if there isn't enough time left for you to score, then what exactly are you upset about? You want the opportunity to farm spp instead of your opponent? This is not a coop game, you are opponents.

EDIT: That probably sounds kind of harsh (because it is kind of harsh), I expect the bigger problem you have is that you are new to the site and a lot of the people here have played a lot more games and are a lot more experienced which tends to lead to them being better. When you play someone that much more experienced chances are they'll kick your arse and have the ball for 75% of the game and it will suck. Keep trying, keep learning, get better at knowing how to play and you'll get the ball more often because your opponent won't have the leisure to stall. And then you'll probably have more fun.

Last edited by Faulcon on %b %26, %2017 - %14:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Conceeding is not playing in the spirit of the game.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends what you mean by spirit of the game. Scoring fast was something you did when the rules were "first to three scores wins", but they've not been that way for over 20 years.

The aim of the game is not to score as soon as possible when you get the ball, but to score in a manner and at a time that means your opponent does not have an easy time replying in "your" half; and on top of that, also doing so in a manner that reduces risk to your players.

Bloodbowl rarely rewards teams who simply score every time they get the ball, except in games which are completely lopsided in terms of racial/team matchup or coaching ability (or both).

You might think of it as not unlike the NFL team who start running the ball rather than throw it simply to eat up the clock, or taking a kneel to end the game.

This can be extremely boring to play against, but so can being whipped 6-0 by elves, or losing 2-1 because you scored quickly and your opponent is dwarves.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, against a strong coach, stalling isn't as easy as it sometimes looks. Or sometimes you have to take a gamble on a risky stall to win the match. It's not always boring, far from.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a jungle out there, either stall or get stalled.
Zhems hold on, Horatio the scatter wizard might counter stalling a bit, just wait for his implementation in the client.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %26, %2017 - %15:%Jun; edited 4 times in total
tussock

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Picture the game; its been a hard fought half, the ball has changed hands and my opponent has got possession and is on the touch line with movement to spare AND DOESN'T TOUCH DOWN!

Excellent, I use my primary or secondary sacker, who I left back just for this occasion, to dodge or leap or GFI through whatever is in the way and go get the ball free. Then grab another player who was back a bit to pick it up and throw it back to my team. Of course, when I play like that, the opponent touches down and I get a chance to rush one in myself.

Some teams aren't so good at that. But if you like the other side to hurry up and score against you, you should use teams, player builds, and positioning that will force them to do so.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
Quote:
Picture the game; its been a hard fought half, the ball has changed hands and my opponent has got possession and is on the touch line with movement to spare AND DOESN'T TOUCH DOWN!

Excellent, I use my primary or secondary sacker, who I left back just for this occasion, to dodge or leap or GFI through whatever is in the way and go get the ball free. Then grab another player who was back a bit to pick it up and throw it back to my team. Of course, when I play like that, the opponent touches down and I get a chance to rush one in myself.

Some teams aren't so good at that. But if you like the other side to hurry up and score against you, you should use teams, player builds, and positioning that will force them to do so.

Do you by chance have a link to a replay that illustrates this style? This does sound nice in theory, but I find it a little hard to believe that you play a half with a luxury of keeping two players (one of whom is your primary sacker, so presumably a well developed one) back out of action.
ThierryM

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I like stallers !
They are depleted when the ball is kicked off after they finally score.
Because you must make it painfull for the team that stalls.

And losing / winning, who cares. Just enjoy bashing/fouling the guys left behind when the stars show off next to your endline. It's a way to vent steam )
And you'll remember those games when the staller does the 1 last block before scoring, only to double skull it twice with the Reroll he had left and hear the referee whittle the half one step away from your endzone. 0-0 half time (or even better, full time !).
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Part of the spirit of the game is learning how to beat a stall. Or make it so expensive for them via targeted assassinations that they go screw it I better score.
If your opponent is stalling and hasn't already crushed you then pick an outlier, typically the most expensive one you can get too and thump it and foul it. Keep it up until either they score or they come out to fight from the stall. If they come out to fight then they will have to expose that ball carrier at some point and from there its 'In Nuffle we Trust'

Remember 1's Happen. So do 6's.
Skull, Double Skulls, Triple Skulls even happen sometimes even with a reroll.
Never talk yourself out of the winning move.
Never tell me the odds, it just makes Nuffle laugh all the harder when it goes wrong.
Never ever GFI to score unless there is no other choice.
If you whine about it the next opponent will deliberately use that tactic. I doubt I will ever play you Zhems unless you are a Southern Wastes member however if I did I would now go out of my way to stall cause well, you grizzled about it, and Headology is a big part of bloodbowl.
If an opponent starts telling you the odds it means they have a wheel barrow they are pushing.

Jump to: