20 coaches online • Server time: 06:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Harad

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2017 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the point is that 'spirit of the game' situation exists when rules cannot cope with a desired outcome. Most games implicitly have some spirit of the game, even if it is that one doesn't shout at one's opponent whilst they are trying to do what they have to.

I believe the spirit that Zhems champions (although the early explanations of it were poorly formed due to the frustration he acknowledges) is that we should prioritize the enjoyment of both players. And I think that most of us do this to varying extents. When playing against new players or against halfings for example I am much less likely to stall or turn 16 foul than if I am playing a top coach and chaos, not because there is anything wrong with those things but because they are more likely to have fun if I don't and I often gauge their understanding of the game etc before acting (e.g. in chat you can often quickly tell who will think a foul is part of the chaotic fun of the game and who thinks its a personal attack one up from adultery).

But I hasten to add I am considering the enjoyment not just of the people playing the game at that moment but also in the future. Once people are a certain ability they would probably enjoy the game less in the long run if I wasn't trying my best to win. As someone else said, there is not necessarily a differentiation between 'power gamers' and 'good people'. Many of the power gamers are actually bringing the enjoyment and fun to the game by making it challenging and competitive, just as most of the fun gamers are trying to win to some extent.
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2017 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

finsterface wrote:
licker wrote:
The_Murker wrote:
When did licker become an "I must read everything and therefore I appreciate threads being locked" kind of guy?

Actually I read the title of this thread and then saw the number of pages.

I think I've read about 2 pages of this nonsense.

Did it have to be 20 pages long (and still running)?

Um?

That's my point right? I'm all for people discussing whatever they want to discuss, I just don't see how (or at some point why) this thread continues on.

Do unto others really cuts both ways right? Meaning there is no 'correct' way to play (beyond what the site explicitly prohibits) and thus, no real reason to get upset about how anyone else chooses to play. Ultimately, the choice is always yours about whom you are willing to play, if you don't like certain players/teams in R you can choose not to play them. If you make your own league you can set whatever arbitrary rules you want.

The only bump is with B, but B is what it is, so if you choose to play there... then you know what you are likely to get out of it.

Most threads like this are essentially people whining about how things are not exactly how they want them, and frankly, zhems was doing exactly that, and still is to some degree.

No amount of 'well if you look at it this way' matters. It's why the thread is nonsense, just people talking across each other for the most part all while thinking they are actually holding the superior position.

You could take zhems complaint at face value, answer it, and be done. Actually this happened in the first few pages, and thus, my ask of why this settled debate continues to putter along.

Whether it's good or bad for the site, who really cares, it's still nonsense.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2017 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

check it

lines and lames and lones and alones

check it

the argues, the reargues, the oh ho hos, the woahs

hollerin and sayin ya and pointin to the book ya

check it

the numberologiests and grognards and spiriters and freeforalls

runnin their flags up and chatin their street creeds

check it

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2017 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

If I wasn't just a Tournament Admin I would have locked it on such a beautiful poem... <sniff sniff> Razz

(23?)

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2017 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

the forum poet will return at page 31, for reasons numerlogical.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
You could take zhems complaint at face value, answer it, and be done. Actually this happened in the first few pages, and thus, my ask of why this settled debate continues to putter along.

hmmm, maybe because some have more patience? Laughing
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

finsterface wrote:
licker wrote:

Patience for nonsense? But it's not patience is it? The issue was resolved fairly quickly, then it was just a bunch of people spitting out their nonsense opinions on a nonsense topic which had already been answered.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
finsterface wrote:
licker wrote:

Patience for nonsense? But it's not patience is it? The issue was resolved fairly quickly, then it was just a bunch of people spitting out their nonsense opinions on a nonsense topic which had already been answered.

Or just repeating that they think it is nonsense... Razz

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah.. wtf? Licker, I've seen you smash the same point over and over against a brick of an adversary who just doesn't get it. You've taken several pages up in the past, nit-picking the nuances of things said by a seventh party in some random rule-change proposition. Why the new disdain for circular forum threads? Did you recently get promoted to Forum Grump Level-8? Gratz!

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 04:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Zhems wrote:
Meanwhile if you do the same to a pick up player the advantage is being given to whoever they play next, assuming the team doesn't get folded because of the damage caused.
Sorry to contribute to this madness even further, but this is absolute nonsense. If you smash an opponent in R or B, they draw a weaker opponent the next game. Getting crushed is only bad for you in a league.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to infuriate you any further (but don't mind if this thread goes on, myself, as well). To me, this is an entertaining thought: Maybe the way you see this is pretty similar to how Zhems perceived prolonging those turns in the matches, where his opponent wasn't scoring although the solution (score) seemed just about to happen right now. Just like you despise him (and probably me & others) for not coming to a final conclusion quickly and get it done with. Unlucky thing for you: There's no limit on the amount of pages in a thread (whereas there's a limit on the turns in a game) - until an admin decides to lock it. You have a choice to leave this thread alone w/o any sanctions, though. Wink
Throweck

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm confused...so...does anyone here actually play in the spirit of the game? (winky face)

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

You Throweck, just you. The rest of us, not so much.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
finsterface wrote:
licker wrote:

Are you the pot and Mike the kettle? Or is it the other way around. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2017 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Why this discussion about closing the thread or talking about how pointless it is to discuss something that seems to be finished discussing??

Then just stop discussing it! someone has to be first, its even more pointless to continue discussing by complaining that the discussion shouldnt continue. If you are against it, just stop talking, dont throw a new bone to the dog.
 Jump to: