53 coaches online • Server time: 16:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
steelers_wales

Post 7 Posted: Jun 30, 2017 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Morning all!

I'm not new to Blood Bowl, but I'm a brand new Shambling Undead player and I'm new to Fumbbl. I picked Shambling Undead because they seem fun to play, have bags of character and they're durable. Just got my first resurrection which I was more excited about than I should have been.

Has anyone got any strategy tips? I've done OK with them in my league so far against higher rated teams (2-1-0) and they seem to be suited to a breakout running game. With the Ghouls as ball carriers/hand-off merchants/the odd pass. The Mummy's have never ventured far from the line of scrimmage and I'm using the skeletons and zombies for tackle zones and tie up low AV hitters.

Sometimes I struggle to know what to do when I receive the kickoff and usually stall for my opponent to make a defensive move before I commit to a drive. I'm used to playing Orcs and it was fairly easy to play them, Undead seem to be a little more nuanced.

Wat about skill development? One of my Ghouls has STR 4 (my main ball carrier at the mo), and a Mummy has STR 6. Both Mummy's have guard. Other than that I've given a Wight tackle with a few more players on the bubble for new skills.
Daudy

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2017 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

It's been a while since I've played Undead, but recently, time spent with other teams has taught me how useful a good foul can be. Subsequently, picking a time and place to stick it in hard is something to work on and applicable to almost all teams - but especially undead.

Obviously it's one of those things that comes with a large variance of success, but I think your undead are well poised. You've got strength to knock people down, cheap foulers, and the new selective MVP system means those DP zombies/skellies (all of 60k TV) will be less likely to luck more unnecessary skills/bloat.

I would also consider turning one of the ghouls into a sweeper type of player with wrestle or maybe even strip. The other thing is, your ghouls WILL die and be maimed lots. Subsequently, when choosing their skills I'd probably favour something they could use to some extent straight away with their existing skillsets rather than planning too far ahead (which can happen sometimes).

Just be mindful of the movement limitations of most of your team when you need to screen ahead of time so you don't have to desperately dash your ghouls downfield and leave them exposed.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2017 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the input Daudy. I'm thinking about giving the Ghouls sure hands first, then going with block and then two with sidestep and two with strip ball/wrestle as de-facto blitzers.

The first Zombie or Skeleton skill will definitely be a dirty player!

Last edited by steelers_wales on %b %30, %2017 - %13:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2017 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

It is all about not exposing ghouls, but utilising their movements. So it is key to keep the mummies at the thick of the action. So undeads success depends on the way you forecast where the battle will be, and progressing steadily with mummies along that path. When that breaks down then you can only catch up with ghouls, then they will be exposed. That can happen, and you can win that battle, but the more turns it lasts, the least chance you have got.