44 coaches online • Server time: 19:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Shut up Pythrr?
YES!
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
NO!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I will hit you with a brick!
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
No, free speech will save amerika!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The 45 for life!
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Putin's trousers.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Pythrr - why did you take the green pill today?
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never really managed to figure out why a small subset of coaches (and it is small - most people on fumbbl are pretty ok) find it hard to admit when they roll good dice. For example, one coach I was playing today rolled a ridiculous series of dice to get the ball off me and score. Well done to them. So I commented, and said "wow, that was great dice", and they lost it, telling me that the dice were not good and that it was all skill. I pointed out the run of dice, and they accused me of being rude.

Is it a fragile sense of self-worth and ego? Is it an inability to understand math and probability? Or is it just sociopathy? I'm genuinely curious.

Anyway, discuss as you will.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

People are sensitive to pointing out good dice of theirs or bad ones of your own for some reason, as if it diminishes their win or skill.

I don't think It's rude at all, tho it might be tedious if someone keeps telling me I'm only winning because of dice.

But im a terrible player, so if I'm winning I recognize that's probably the case anyways.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Those who never try...they are sure to fail. Good dice mean nothing if you lack the vision and guts to use them. It would seem he took offense because your comment shows you refused to acknowledge the nonquantifable parameters influencing the outcome.

Last edited by Arktoris on %b %03, %2017 - %20:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
razmus

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the reasons I love seeing the dice statistics after the game. I did have one game in which the opposing coach mentioned that I was getting a lot of [pows], and not so many pushbacks. Turned out he was absolutely right. (https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=3918737 Wink) But I'll take those [POWS] and run like a thief.

JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Pff! When I lose, it's always the dice ... when I win, it's always because of my superior skill! Razz

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Pythrrs never ending search for validation contiues unabated into the forums
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I can never understand why when people lose a game or concede a TD they have this need to make sure their opponent knows it was all because of dice. Like an 'I'm better than you and would have won, but for dice, and you must also agree and acknowledge this.'

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I can never understand why when people lose a game or concede a TD they have this need to make sure their opponent knows it was all because of dice. Like an 'I'm better than you and would have won, but for dice, and you must also agree and acknowledge this.'

Yeah, what compels some coaches to comment on dice when we've all rolled thousands of them in the past and are likely to roll thousands in the future? What purpose does it serve? What good can come from it?

Massaging the ego of the dice dispossessed is what it all comes back to which makes the initial accusation of non acknowledgment being related to ego some pretty ugly projection.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:

you are, with all due respect, entirely misinterpreting what i asked.

I asked about one event, and commenting "great dice" on that one event.

I'm not talking about a post-match comment, but in game, as part of an observation. nowhere do i say "I'm better than you and would have won, but for dice". You are putting words in my mouth, and I would expect more impartiality from a site admin.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
mister__joshua wrote:

you are, with all due respect, entirely misinterpreting what i asked.

I asked about one event, and commenting "great dice" on that one event.

I'm not talking about a post-match comment, but in game, as part of an observation. nowhere do i say "I'm better than you and would have won, but for dice". You are putting words in my mouth, and I would expect more impartiality from a site admin.

Nothing you've done on Fumbbl has ever been persuasive in framing your social contributions as anything other than you taking the piss or being comically obtuse. I don't expect more and thusly I am always content.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

Nothing you've done on Fumbbl has ever been persuasive in framing your social contributions

yeah. running one of fumbbl's longest running Leagues (OBBA) for more than a decade does nothing in terms of a social contribution. thousands of hours of volunteer labour has no positive contribution at all.

right?

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Also there's some bit of fair social contribution in knowingly playing the villain, so give him credit for that, if it's the case.

I don't know, haven't been here long enough.

But in the context of his original question he did nothing wrong.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't even think OBBA existed anymore. Well if you think that makes up for the countless time you've spent

A. Provoking reactions from opponents and playing dumb each and every time
B. Using those reactions to threaten, even if playfully, that an Admin will be involved. Usually pretty swiftly as well. Like, that's your nuclear option and you go to it so readily and so easily at this point that one is lead to believe you're either full of it or the Admins are probably tired of your shenanigans as much as anyone else is.
C. Regularly starting self indulgent threads and blog posts related to your behavior that tells a ridiculously one sided story lacking context in which you deliberately provoke people.

I mean sure, OBBA is great I guess, why is that the only feather in your cap? Why do you think some league management lets you off the hook for all the other crap you bring to the table?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
I didn't even think OBBA existed anymore. Well if you think that makes up for the countless time you've spent

A. Provoking reactions from opponents and playing dumb each and every time
B. Using those reactions to threaten, even if playfully, that an Admin will be involved. Usually pretty swiftly as well. Like, that's your nuclear option and you go to it so readily and so easily at this point that one is lead to believe you're either full of it or the Admins are probably tired of your shenanigans as much as anyone else is.
C. Regularly starting self indulgent threads and blog posts related to your behavior that tells a ridiculously one sided story lacking context in which you deliberately provoke people.

I mean sure, OBBA is great I guess, why is that the only feather in your cap? Why do you think some league management lets you off the hook for all the other crap you bring to the table?

thanks for the personal abuse and unfounded accusations.

what did i ever do to you? we've only ever had good interactions in game.

what was the last thing you did for the fumbbl community?

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

chill out everyone. People have bad days sometimes. I know I have. I know even the most sensible people you can think of on the site have.

I just hope that everyone strives to make things pleasant for each other as often as they can.