47 coaches online • Server time: 15:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v stunty (...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Thunderfrog

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it rude? Mean?

I really try to make my games go under an hour, so I always warn my opponents that at 4 mins I will timeout.

I've had a few be quite angry about it.

What's your thoughts?
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Oooooooh! A time out thread!

/me grabs popcorn and awaits the "Doomhammer of Thread Locking".

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

And counting for explosion of rage......

Some consider it bad form to time out, I personally have done it once or twice in over 4000 games. Persistent overtime every turn could be a pain but a lot of coaches have RL issues to deal with and it boils down to civility, understanding and patience
Irgy

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a big mess and everyone has a different opinion on it so just do whatever makes you feel good.

edit - within the rules of course, so don't time out if they've said they're legitimately afk.

Last edited by Irgy on %b %04, %2017 - %02:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If you timeout persistently, watch out for this bug: https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs?id/136

Your opponent may not actually be there.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually give my opponents one free pass before timing out. Really there's no reason to be over three minutes asides from one off real life issues.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The button is there, that means you can use it. The biggest rule is making certain your opponent did not tell you he/she was stepping away, and that they didn't disconnect. Everything after that is up to individual discretion.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll time you out, because I can.
I'll time you, 'cause I'm the man.
I'll time you out, because I think I'm slick.
I time you out, because I'm just a dick.

Uh, check my ad lib. Uh, check my ad lib.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I play it slow, my way to win
you dare time me out, oh that's a sin
Don't touch that button, ill be so mad
I wanna play, just like a child
Malmir

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

If I time out, please don't pout - just accept I'm in the right.
If you time out, I'll scream and shout - well done, you've ruined my night.

I don't actually time out myself unless oppo is repeatedly going over and has already been warned.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=28372

FUMBBL rules say you should set aside 90 minutes for a game. 'Hoping' to speed your matches up by using the time-out button dosn't seem like a friendly thing to do. If you aren't a friendly chap, there is another place to play blood bowl online. If you are a friendly chap.. are you more in a hurry, or more friendly?

The link above is just one of many such Time-Out Button threads, if you really care to get an idea of just how hot a topic this can be.

I think your BBowl skills will improve faster if you take a little more time with your own turns, and your career will last longer if you both improve and make some buds.

Cheers.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2017 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course it's ok if coaches want to time people out within the rules. I myself would never do it but that's just preference.

Be honest about why you're doing it though - which is to gain an advantage in the game. Pretending that you're doing it to "speed the game up" is pretty lame and dishonest 99% of the time.
Thunderfrog

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2017 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:
Of course it's ok if coaches want to time people out within the rules. I myself would never do it but that's just preference.

Be honest about why you're doing it though - which is to gain an advantage in the game. Pretending that you're doing it to "speed the game up" is pretty lame and dishonest 99% of the time.

Got a problem with this one. You can apply whatever anecdotal thought processes you might have to the statement above, but you don't know me or my motivation.

Online gaming, in my opinion, is meant to be no frills and faster. That's why I'm not playing Cyanides games with the replays and commentaries and all that other dressing.

Like some folks, when I think of playing Blood Bowl, it has two forms. Online, or in person. An in person game, even with our 5 minute turns, is meant to be slower. It's a social experience with meaningful chatting and banter, story swapping, etc.

If I play online, it's a different mindset. It's practice for one, but more streamlined and I do expect it to be faster. It isn't about cutting him off for advantage.

I guess I lump it in with the ol' illegal procedure mindset? I don't mind enforcing it on someone online I don't know,because there's no mutual friendship at risk by hitting the button, but in person we usually let it slide because we are probably playing with a bud.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2017 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

IP isn't enforceable online anyway, because your turn counter is moved for you Very Happy
(It's also an optional rule now).

You may be fine with the attitude you're espousing, and it's certainly within your right to timeout, for whatever reason, so long as your opponent is actually playing - but, well, many people here do very much treat the game as a social experience.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2017 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Thunderfrog wrote:

I guess I lump it in with the ol' illegal procedure mindset? I don't mind enforcing it on someone online I don't know,because there's no mutual friendship at risk by hitting the button, but in person we usually let it slide because we are probably playing with a bud.

When you've been here a little longer and become part of the community you won't just be playing strangers any more and then your opinion might change.
 Jump to: