57 coaches online • Server time: 21:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

If people are finding it difficult to get games, then maybe we could do with a bit of help with the promotion of the league.

Word of mouth people. Bring in the coaches. Post those blogs, match reports etc.

Post your ideas.

Contact the staff if you are able to help in an 'official' capacity.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
It makes sense since even League games are tracked. If it wasnt so Id accept almost any challenge.
Same goes with Stunty.

That is the kind of attitude that kills leagues like this.

By the way, what is that 'other list' that I am on? Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
If people are finding it difficult to get games, then maybe we could do with a bit of help with the promotion of the league.

Word of mouth people. Bring in the coaches. Post those blogs, match reports etc.

Post your ideas.

Cross compatibility between League and Secret League teams is the first step, I think.
My SL teams got often challenged by teams in League division.
Another idea is having a matchmaking scheduler like Black Box, because if there is the possibility of cherrypicking there will be cherrypickers, even if they don't gain CR.
People just like to win to boost their ego.
Crook666

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

As Matt said, first of all we have a lot of coaches challenging us with non-SL teams. It is bad to refuse their challenges, probably they are not even aware about the difference between SL and normal L, and so a bit more of information should be spread around the website.

Then there is the power-players issue. They just look to bloat their teams to an huge TV and then forget about them, refusing to accept any challenge should they lose their precious players. Personally I have 2 or 3 teams on break waiting for the SLUMMBL Cup, but I am always in gamefinder with at least 8 teams.

Then there is the CIBBL. I found out (but I might be wrong) that the games number has dramatically decreased since CIBBL kicked off, as if SL coaches feels safer to play their one team in that particular league than go around and find games. Most of them are not heavily into SL, just joined CIBBL and cannot be considered part of this little scene. This is a bit weird too, 'cause sticking with one team playing only one scheduled game per week seems a way to deny yourself the wide range of possibilities (and FUN, because end of the day this is what we should be talking about) that SL offers.

People who created SL and managed it to work put a great effort and a lot of hours of work into it. A bit sad to see that the response of the community was so cold.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
koadah wrote:

Post your ideas.

Cross compatibility between League and Secret League teams is the first step, I think.
My SL teams got often challenged by teams in League division.

Totally agree. I've been after this since the day that custon rosters first launched.

Anyone know Christer's latest word on it.

MattDakka wrote:

Another idea is having a matchmaking scheduler like Black Box, because if there is the possibility of cherrypicking there will be cherrypickers, even if they don't gain CR.
People just like to win to boost their ego.

I like this one too. But it might not get a lot of use compared to the amount of work it would take to do it.

The main Box is pretty sparse at times.

Cheesers will also throw in horrible teams and ruin it.

If it is one Box per league, most wouldn't be big enough. You would probably need to use chat to set up rounds. Like the old stuntyleeg.com. Smile_

If it was cross league I think you'd need to be able to manage which leagues were allowed to play in each box. More work.

Last edited by koadah on Sep 06, 2017 - 14:57; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Crook666 wrote:
People who created SL and managed it to work put a great effort and a lot of hours of work into it. A bit sad to see that the response of the community was so cold.

As a long time league & tournament commish, I can say Secret League has been bigger than any private league I've seen on Fumbbl..

Leagues need promotion. I currently don't have a lot of time to do promotion so it needs some others to step up.

Cross league games would be huge. If you guys want success you need to lobby Christer for it. Let him know it is not just one or two guys moaning.

As for powergamers. If you have loads of other coaches around you wouldn't need to play them.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

As side note, sometimes I sent PMs to people challenging my SL with L teams explaining the teams could not play and pointed them to the SL link in the hope of spreading the word, but this didn't encourage them to create SL teams in most cases, they wanted to stick to their L teams I guess.
About cheesers with super teams: if the matching criteria are well done then playing lopsided matches should be rare. I still would take the risk, better than not playing at all like now.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
As side note, sometimes I sent PMs to people challenging my SL with L teams explaining the teams could not play and pointed them to the SL link in the hope of spreading the word, but this didn't encourage them to create SL teams in most cases, they wanted to stick to their L teams I guess.

I'm the same really. I want to use my old teams. I don't really want to have to keep creating a new ones.

MattDakka wrote:
About cheesers with super teams: if the matching criteria are well done then playing lopsided matches should be rare. I still would take the risk, better than not playing at all like now.

True, but with the smaller population you would gain be looking at no match.

Stuntyleeg.com worked because people knew that they had to throw in a team and accept any match.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Crook666 wrote:

As a long time league & tournament commish, I can say Secret League has been bigger than any private league I've seen on Fumbbl..

Leagues need promotion. I currently don't have a lot of time to do promotion so it needs some others to step up.

Cross league games would be huge. If you guys want success you need to lobby Christer for it. Let him know it is not just one or two guys moaning.

As for powergamers. If you have loads of other coaches around you wouldn't need to play them.

This really^ initially the take up was huge. but interest invariably died down a lot. There are still a lot of games being played in the division though, and it is no coincidence that League is now the 2nd most played in division behind ranked, since the launch of SL. However most SL teams are now found in a number of different round robin leagues. SLUBBA, SLA, CIBBL, BIBBL, TG. < these leagues are all doing great which is the really the true format to play these teams.

The Open division (although quieter than it used to be) is still doing far far better than Stunty Leeg though.

The biggest problem is people frankly. Just like fumbbl new comers invariably post that the RNG is broken even though we all know it is fine and really its because they suck at the game. New people to SL immediately scream Broken and OP because they either suck at the game or they have some bad luck. How can we get new people to get over these teething issues they have ^

Another thing to note is fumbbl is just very quiet at this time of year, it always is. Come October the numbers always go up again, and we can encourage more games then for sure.

As for the cherry pickers.... I really don't know what to do here. There are about 4 or 5 coaches I can think of who will only ever accept matches that are extremely unfair and almost certain victories for them, which is very very sad. Most people are alright though.

As Koadah eludes to - we need more people on FUMBBL first and then on SLO.

Last edited by Garion on Sep 06, 2017 - 18:15; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

I'm the same really. I want to use my old teams. I don't really want to have to keep creating a new ones.

Yes, I'm not criticizing that choice, just saying that it's one factor. This is why I'd like cross compatibility. Many coaches have L teams and they would not need to create SL ones to play vs SL teams.

koadah wrote:
True, but with the smaller population you would gain be looking at no match.

That would not be worse than what happens now, so it would not be a loss, just one extra possibility to play a fair match.

koadah wrote:
Stuntyleeg.com worked because people knew that they had to throw in a team and accept any match.

Stuntyleeg coaches were all in the same division, the user base was not split into several divisions.
Also, in that period botocs was the only way to play with the updated rules, that was another factor.
SkavenLordVinshqueek

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
If you want to contribute another for a race you are playing please post in this thread, and I will update the Secret League pages with the info provided.

As said during the aftermath of our game, I will be more then happy to write something up for Clan Moulder. (a.k.a. the proper way to demolish the team of your opponent, instead of going for a Khorne team Wink Laughing )

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

cool, thanks SLV. Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Stuntyleeg coaches were all in the same division, the user base was not split into several divisions.
Also, in that period botocs was the only way to play with the updated rules, that was another factor.

The point really was that the user base was tiny. BB still works with a small userbase as long as some of those users are not sucking all the fun out of it.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Dominik wrote:
It makes sense since even League games are tracked. If it wasnt so Id accept almost any challenge.
Same goes with Stunty.

That is the kind of attitude that kills leagues like this.

By the way, what is that 'other list' that I am on? Wink

You and sonrises got your entry there because of the incident years ago with awambawamb.
Loew

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2017 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion, I could write a bit about my experiences with Cathay, although it may take me another week or so till I find the time.

Koadah, is the SL sprint starting automatically every two month or do you need to set it up from hand? I think the sprint is a nice incentive to play SL open - although it is boring if Nightbreed participates and always wins with some team with lucky crucial Stat+/Doubles Wink
 Jump to: