53 coaches online • Server time: 19:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hourly box activations?
Permantly change box to hourly activations
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Permantly change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to hourly activations
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
24%
 24%  [ 25 ]
Change nothing
64%
 64%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 102

DrDeath

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't understand why you would think increasing the intervals will result in more matches, in fact I suspect the opposite would happen. If players don't get a match up I suspect they will hang around 15 mins, so they will still be around at 30 mins. In my case if you increase activation intervals I actually wouldn't be able to activate as often - I have a busy work and family life and often find myself with only c. 2 hours to play. If you make it say 1 hour intervals there will be many times where that doesn't fit and I wouldn't be able to activate at all! I suspect there are many middle-aged guys on this site in a similar position. More activation slots is better?

I don't understand why more people don't play Box now that CPOMB has gone, it is the best way of scheduling I think. You usually see a hell of a lot of hanging around on the Ranked gamefinder as people wait around for a perfect matchup, aren't prepared to play paper vs scissors etc (and I admit I do this to some extent too, we all do we're only human). I've only graduated to Box in the last year or so but I like it - think it's fairer and better, if enough people activate.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

make box a part of ranked, along with ladder and faction.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDeath wrote:

I don't understand why more people don't play Box now that CPOMB has gone, it is the best way of scheduling I think.

There are fewer coaches and more options.

Some may see it as a bit more hardcore environment but with no overall goal.

You can try to sell it to us.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

The overall goal should be having the best win rate and the highest CR with every race.
Many games have a ladder and rankings and people try to get on top of that.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
koadah wrote:

The overall goal should be having the best win rate and the highest CR with every race.
Many games have a ladder and rankings and people try to get on top of that.

Those goals are not really that attractive.
Win rates & CR go up and down. There are no actual trophies or medals to win. No season. No recovery period.

Joining R & B could be a good thing.

Not as good as [L]eague of course. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Those goals are not really that attractive.
Win rates & CR go up and down. There are no actual trophies or medals to win. No season. No recovery period.

Joining R & B could be a good thing.

Not as good as [L]eague of course. Wink

Throphies and medals could be added and displayed on the coach's page.
For example, every month the best coach with a race could receive a badge/medal/trophy icon, or being mentioned in the "Did you know?" entry, something like: "Did you know? the best Black Box Orc coach of the month is ..." with his match record.
League environment is nice but it doesn't satisfy the urge to play more games per day that some coaches have, and scheduling game can be hard with some unreliable coaches (I played in leagues, some guys are not very committed and don't respect the schedule).
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

There's no goal or titles in ranked either

Although, isn't there best sprint of 16 games in a month website? Ah, looks like koadah did it and his site is down
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

On the question of time intervals I agree wholeheartedly with Matt, shorter intervals probably 10 minutes would be more likely to keep me around.

I play a lot of box games 1 hour intervals at best would reduce my activations at worse I might go back to ranked.

We all have pet ideas of how to change things but for every idea there is a counter view. But for what it is worth I advocate a 3 coach activation provided the coaches activate 5+ teams.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
There's no goal or titles in ranked either

Although, isn't there best sprint of 16 games in a month website? Ah, looks like koadah did it and his site is down

Ranked and open [L]eague feel more laid back to me. You can avoid coaches who come across as "too competitive" or whatever. Wink

The Sprint page is up here.
Is it worth my while updating it for October/November?

Three elf teams in the top 10. I don't think that ever happened under CRP.

Edit: It would encourage monoactivation though. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not make only 1 competitive division where you activate a team and then the machine pairs you with a team of similiar TV/win %/whatever. There are many online games that work like this, for example: Blood bowl 2, Starcraff and Warcraft. In addition you could have leagues like we have now. Or why not make Box work like this? Why does the pairings need to be done at x time? Why can't the machine pair two teams when they are looking for a match??

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Jopotzuki wrote:
Why not make only 1 competitive division where you activate a team and then the machine pairs you with a team of similiar TV/win %/whatever. There are many online games that work like this, for example: Blood bowl 2, Starcraff and Warcraft. In addition you could have leagues like we have now. Or why not make Box work like this? Why does the pairings need to be done at x time? Why can't the machine pair two teams when they are looking for a match??

Blood Bowl 2 actually changed to work the way Fumbbl works. But their interval is 5 minutes, not 15.

They use pooling to get better matches. Smaller TV gaps.

Starcraft & Warcraft have huge user bases compared to blood bowl.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
Gotta love the irony of this thread. The person who almost singlehandedly killed the box by his stupid minmaxed killer spam thinks this will all be fixed by changing the interval of the draws.

The problem is a lack of coaches and that will not go away by introducing an hourly draw. It will only change when people have more fun playing.

This is the absolute truth.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
make box a part of ranked, along with ladder and faction.

Aye, Box as "instant" smack tournaments!

Now all we have to do is add the workload to an admin. Hmmmm... Woodstock is a robot right?

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I've solved this problem a long time ago.

I was told no thanks.

Now you all have no games.

It's really not at all surprising to me though, the solution to make a better box is really quite simple, and at this point, there's zero reason not to do it, since you can't wind up with fewer games anyway.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
I've solved this problem a long time ago...

Making a suggestion is not the same thing as solving the problem.

Jump to: