46 coaches online • Server time: 17:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hourly box activations?
Permantly change box to hourly activations
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Permantly change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to hourly activations
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
24%
 24%  [ 25 ]
Change nothing
64%
 64%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 102

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

If you value FUN over winning you should not be playing in a competitive division.
League is the division where you can mess around at your heart's content.
Also, for competitive people fun = winning.
When I play to mess around I do it in Secret League.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %13, %2017 - %15:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
PainState wrote:

Well, games by definition are just that. Thus they are casual and competitive and meant to be fun.

Games are meant to be fun but they can be played competitively, this is especially true for e-sports.
The competitive goal of every game is doing your best to win that game, so even matchmaking games always have a goal.

@koadah: the fact that some people try to win and get pissed off while other try to win but take bad dice with a smile is matter of attitude and personality, but both people played to win, how they take the loss is not relevant.
Casual people are those who play just to spend some time and have fun, they don't try hard to win for various reasons (they simply don't care or they are unable to win).

"Casual" people may well "try hard to win". But losing is less of a big deal to them. The issue can be the tone of the game. Some of the hard asses are just no fun to play. But some of the best coaches are the most fun to play.

Dodging people is not all about win/loss or CR. There are a lot of reasons for not wanting to play someone.

If I played a rookie I'd be casual. If I played a legend I'd be competitive (but not fanatical) in that game.

Protecting your team is another kind of competitive. Ensuring that you have the best chance in a tournament. Building a team is part of the meta.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
If you value FUN over winning you should not be playing in a competitive division.
League is the division where you can mess around at your heart's content.
Also, for competitive people fun = winning.
When I play to mess around I do it in Secret League.

That is the point. That is why Box is empty. There are not enough hardasses to fill it.

Without the more casual coaches, the hardasses are on their own, whining about how no one will play them. Wink

Then they whine some more about people using boring, 'competitive' team builds. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
"Casual" people may well "try hard to win".

When a casual tries hard to win he starts to be competitive, otherwise he would not try hard.
If he just tries to win but without too much effort and perseverance he's still casual.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

If it is not fun why play?

The only reason Box worked at all was because of people ignoring that rule.

The more important winning is to your fun, the more I would consider you a hardass.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Ok, I get it now.

You seem to be under the delusion that the day to day games in R/B are competitive and Iam under the Illusion that Majors/minors/XFL/Brawls/Smacks is where the competitive side of R/B is found.

I do not believe that the vast majority of coaches who play in R/B take a random ho hum match outside a tournament as a highly competitive affair. Rather they are just looking to have some fun and play a game.

Coaches who enter tournaments of any level though I expect their expectations are the same as every one else is and that is to win the tournament. Thus, all the coaches in the tournament are expected to be competitive, as you define it. I agree with that definition.

Now we have to admit that even in tournament play you will get some coaches who are still very casual about it and do not really care. That does not mean they are not being competitive though, they just have a different out look on the matter if they lose.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Quote:

If it is not fun why play?

To test my skill, to improve my skill, to try new tactics, to play vs a variety of races without choosing the team I will use and without choosing my opponent (I love the surprise effect and trying to face any opponent, as long as there is not a massive TV gap that makes the game a ridiculous waste of time).
Winning is fun or, to put it in another way, losing is not fun so I try to improve myself to reduce the losing frustration.
I don't see nothing wrong with trying to win in a game as long as you don't cheat or exploit rules loopholes, because it's a great incentive to improve and generally makes games more entertaining as well.
I'm not against to messing around, laid back, have fun mindset, I just don't do it if I play competitively, like it's supposed in a competitive division.
On the other hand, even if I try to win, I don't minmax, I play a good variety of races, I don't cycle tier 1 teams because I think that doing so makes the environment where I play worse and less appealing.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
like it's supposed in a competitive division.

As far as Ranked and Box are concerned I don't think that "competitive" means what you think it means.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

No.

If you value winning over FUN you should not be playing Bloodbowl at all. You should be playing poker.

When winning becomes more important than FUN, it stops being a Bloodbowl game.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Quote:
like it's supposed in a competitive division.

As far as Ranked and Box are concerned I don't think that "competitive" means what you think it means.

I see, then "competitive" could be removed from the divisions' descriptions.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %13, %2017 - %16:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
Quote:

No.

If you value winning over FUN you should not be playing Bloodbowl at all. You should be playing poker.

Ok, this is your subjective point of view, but "competitive" is not a subjective word.
PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Ok, this is your subjective point of view, but "competitive" is not a subjective word.

No, no, no

That is why the word competitive should not be uttered on FUMBBL.

It is totally subjective. You do not seem to get that.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Competitive is a well defined word, but if on FUMBBL it is subjective, I have just learned a new thing after 10 years on this site.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Arktoris wrote:
Quote:

No.

Clearly, it is.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Ok, this is your subjective point of view, but "competitive" is not a subjective word.[/quote]

No.

It is not my subjective point of view. It is the objective conclusion based on the data of over two million games played by thousands of coaches.

Box is by far the easiest way to get a game. Therefore it should be dominating the game statistics more than 3:1 vs Rank and League combined. But instead, the reverse is true.

that's because Ranked and League is where you find real Bloodbowl.

Now you are at a crossroads, Matt. It is not the strong that survive, but those that can adapt to the changes of their environment.

Will you adapt and accept? Or will you die off with Box and say hello to the dinosaurs for us?

choose your road.

Ark