39 coaches online • Server time: 10:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cerberus85

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2017 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Evening all,

I seem to struggle defending more against agility teams than I do bash with my UW team. Whilst I'm invarably blocked off the pitch by bash teams my horned Blitzers are quite good at keeping them honest. Agilty teams however are a diffent story. Their speed, dodging & catching in TZs etc often see them score more than not.

So I've been thinking (always dangerous) about better utilising my UW goblins. Currently they simply act as punchbags/trip hazards to opposition players. I rarely (if ever) skill them as they tend not to last long enough to do anything worthwhile and SS + DT raises TV by a lot for a squishy player and takes away valuable SPPs from my rats and troll.

But what about giving them disturbing presence as their first skill...? Madness I hear you cry!

Thought Process
On defence with a full strength squad I'll still have to field 4 gobbos. Whilst they often wont last, especially those on the LOS I'm thinking if they get blocked prone or stunned with disturbing presence they still get to have an impact. This may make it harder for the agility teams to play keep away. If they don't get hit or (somehow) survive they still get 3+ stunty to dodge away and still have an effect with their 3 squares disturbing presence.

It may have an effect, or it may have no effect at all but crucially it gives the pointy eared barstewards something else to consider/mitigate. It won't just effect agility teams as bash teams could/should also struggle if they try to handoff or pass.

I'll caveat this by saying this is an idea for a developed UW team. Preferably one with horned blitzers who don't need always need assists to 2DB. I'm also not suggesting that all UW gobbos should get disturbing presence; two heads has great utility especially on offence but maybe the ones who play defence can have a greater impact than simply just dodging away.

Just an idea to look beyond the usual skill choices. Thoughts? Very Happy
Throweck

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2017 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried this once.

It didn't work as well as I thought it might. In my head it was a sound idea but in reality not that many people play an outright passing game. I wouldn't against UW.

However, I tried it when I was just starting with UW and perhaps a couple of DP gobbos would be fun.

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2017 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

No, and generally speaking you should not skill the Goblins, unless they roll either +AG/+MA/double at first skill roll.
Focus on your Blitzers, Throwers and Troll.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2017 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
No, and generally speaking you should not skill the Goblins, unless they roll either +AG/+MA/double at first skill roll.

You mean like this Matt?

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10270981

I know, shame about the -MA. Even considered using a potion on him. I love that little guy. Caused The_Murker some issues in the FC Razz
Prez

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2017 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I give UW gobs, 2heads for their first skill. They can get anywhere, make effective light screens and dodging easier. As a second if they live that long then one or two get DP, the other fav is BH, to nip in steal and nip out again Wink

So it can be tactically useful to have a gobo with DP.

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2017 - 20:40
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

My only underworld goblin happens to be on a Dwarf team. He came with pro and rolled doubles for first skill. I took block.

When he skills next i was considering 2 heads and Big Hand. But you make a good case for DP.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2017 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, am glad to see Im not entirely going rogue on this.

Im looking to try and experiment with this in the future and hopefully will end up with some tangible results one way or another!
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2017 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Or take Foul Appearance on at least 3 Gobbos...
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2017 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

OK. So obviously for them to roll +AG/+MA or a Double... you have to SKILL them.

What skill do you give them if/when they just get a normal skill?
AND
How does that change the way you use that player with that normal skill?
AND
How many normal skills equals FIRED? Or all-time LOS duty?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2017 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:

OK. So obviously for them to roll +AG/+MA or a Double... you have to SKILL them.

What skill do you give them if/when they just get a normal skill?

Two Heads, but I generally fire every Goblin at first normal skill, that way I can have 14 players with a relatively low TV.
Catalyst32 wrote:

How does that change the way you use that player with that normal skill?

Assuming I don't fire the Two Heads Goblin, I keep him safe on the bench and use him for 1TTD attempt.
Catalyst32 wrote:

How many normal skills equals FIRED? Or all-time LOS duty?

If the first skill up is a normal skill generally means fired in my book, unless I don't have enough gold to buy a new one in order to play the next game with 14 players.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2017 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I was more excited when I thought it was Foul Appearance. I get the two mixed up. A dodgey puke who might eat up a re-roll when usuing him as a road block could be useful. 3 of them even more so.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2017 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

Really? In a fun league I might but in the competitive divisions this doesn't seem great to me.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2017 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

pokrjax wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

Really? In a fun league I might but in the competitive divisions this doesn't seem great to me.

It's not that great but the more you have the more annoying it is especially if you are using them to lend assists and the blocks don't pan out
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2017 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
pokrjax wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

It's not that great but the more you have the more annoying it is especially if you are using them to lend assists and the blocks don't pan out

Massed Foul Appearance would be fairly annoying.
You finally get a shot to SMASH a few Goblins and "EeeWWW" you players refuse to hit them.
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2017 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

It's incredibly fun when it happens with nurgle, I must admit. Top tip: try using nurgle daemons or clan pestilens in [SL] for real foul appearance fun times!
 Jump to: