47 coaches online • Server time: 12:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
...The complaints about Box are no different than the complaints about BB2 COL/CCL and they do just fine (in fact I believe that's where the most people play).

More people play in the League division than in the Box. Last 91 days: 1101 Ranked, 1037 League, 663 Box.
Ranked & Box enable people to get more games though.

1808 total. 476 (26%) only played in the league division and no other.
438 (24%) only played Ranked
133 (7%) only played Box

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't doubt that's the case here. I'm merely pointing out that the reverse is true in BB2. I attribute that (just my opinion) to the ease of getting a game and graphics. Graphics are same between BB2's leagues and COL/CCL, yet COL/CCL has the bigger draw.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
More people play in the League division than in the Box. Last 91 days: 1101 Ranked, 1037 League, 663 Box.

133 (7%) only played Box

Fake news!

Since the Box challenge actually Box's numbers are similar to Ranked, while League is the least of the three. League is a differential with all the options in it but it isn't where most games are played.
Your numbers seem way off there Koadah as ranked is always a lot above league too. Just look at FUMBBL-statistics.
FUMBBL v Ranked v League is not part of making FUMBBL more attractive though. JR has some good comments.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
koadah wrote:

133 (7%) only played Box

Fake news!

Since the Box challenge actually Box's numbers are similar to Ranked, while League is the least of the three. League is a differential with all the options in it but it isn't where most games are played.
Your numbers seem way off there Koadah as ranked is always a lot above league too. Just look at FUMBBL-statistics.
FUMBBL v Ranked v League is not part of making FUMBBL more attractive though. JR has some good comments.

Fake reading ability!

Quote:

Meaning that there are a lot of people (26%) who are already here and playing games that could be targeted.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
I don't doubt that's the case here. I'm merely pointing out that the reverse is true in BB2. I attribute that (just my opinion) to the ease of getting a game and graphics. Graphics are same between BB2's leagues and COL/CCL, yet COL/CCL has the bigger draw.

Do you know that for sure? Have you seen the data?

Also, a huge number of the COL games are concessions. It is easy to get a huge game count when people are only playing one or two turns. Even CCL has a much higher concession rate than Fumbbl and I would expect than Cyanide leagues.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Anecdotally, right now around 75% of live games are in the Open League. I believe I've had something similar quoted at me when I've pointed out how "not a fan" I am of playing in that environment. This is also why everytime I suggest implementing the 51 spp rule in COL and CCL, people have a fit and demand protection of the player base from ill tempered heretics like myself.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

What is the 51 app rule?

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

When a coach concedes, a D6 is rolled for every player with 51 SPPs or more on his team: with a result of 1,2,3 the player leaves the team.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
Anecdotally, right now around 75% of live games are in the Open League. I believe I've had something similar quoted at me when I've pointed out how "not a fan" I am of playing in that environment. This is also why everytime I suggest implementing the 51 spp rule in COL and CCL, people have a fit and demand protection of the player base from ill tempered heretics like myself.

The game has suspect disconnection logic. Retiring players when you are not sure who disconnected would cause uproar. Doing it on concessions only would mean that people would disconnect instead.

If you don't like concessions then there is still CCL. As long as you are OK with restarting your teams.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

If you don't like concessions then there is still CCL. As long as you are OK with restarting your teams.

Yeah and that is part of the problem. I don't play open matchmaking enough to get mileage out of a team in one season so they wind up in COL and I'm back to the reason I'm not a fan. I get the complaints about disconnects but I consider this the user's problem. If you ask a player to have a good enough video card to play a game, it's not asking too much to ask they have good enough internet as well. I understand this will cut into the player base but I'm not sold on how much. People tend to not like crappy internet and if it means they can't play the game they want to play, they will find a way to fix it (I know I don't play on wifi anymore as a result...).

But I digress. For whatever reason, the open matchmaking is a big selling point. I'm not sure I'll ever understand why you would want to sit down with a total stranger for 2 hours and play a game that is supposed to be a fun, in person board game, but that's apparently what a lot of people like. FUMBBL needs Box to keep that player base which by your own admission, changing a simple rule like the 51 spp rule threatens to alienate. If they are THAT sensitive to environment decisions, I would think there are things to be gained in Box through:

Easier matchmaking

Easier reporting

Faster time to start a game (I mean in totality, not simply pooling time which 15 min may be sufficient as is)

General friendliness to newcomers (that doesn't mean a newcomer can come on in and swear at everyone and they have to take it like chumps).

The first three would be on Crister, and he's got stuff to do that pays the bills no doubt so it's not like we can blame him for those things not happening. He is a busy guy and does a great job as is. The last, we can all do something about and has many faces.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 20:49
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

133 (7%) only played Box

I think this is a really important point. Number of league games has also shrunk since the peak, but really, has been pretty stable since mid 2012.

As far as community goes it is number of players playing that is important, more so than sheer number of games. I think this is what makes FUMBBL great. But League is very siloed. How to overcome this? Do we need to?

Australasian timezones Leagues are all in the same discord space. Different chat rooms but very easy to pop across SWL, SSL, CBBA, DIBBL. You may not be playing in the league but you do find yourself chatting to people from other leagues. Often about non-League or even non-BB stuff. Also I find chatting about Table Top stuff easier in discord than other outlets (websites, facebook, forums). If we can drag more tabletoppers into discord and chat about the game they love, maybe we'll get more nibbles on the fumbbl hook.
datom

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:

I'm not sure I'll ever understand why you would want to sit down with a total stranger for 2 hours and play a game that is supposed to be a fun, in person board game, but that's apparently what a lot of people like. FUMBBL needs Box to keep that player base which by your own admission, changing a simple rule like the 51 spp rule threatens to alienate.

It's a bit pedanty of me to be picking apart one point in a post that made a lot of sense, but anyway. The key to FUMBBL is that even in box, it's not a 'total stranger' most of the time, it's a community. So when a number or name comes up, I might well have played them before, or I might well know them by reputation. Or you might share similar leagues with three or four players and meet semi-regularly there. You might chat in the discord etc. Or you might spec their games.

That's a big plus that we have over Cyanide. It's not a nameless, amorphous group of steam users. It's a community.

That and you can activate multiple teams, why don't we speak more about that? It's a huge advantage the box scheduler/ranked has over Cyanide - many more potential matchups because it isn't you launching one team and getting the best 'match' their is, it's you launching five teams and getting the best match their is.

Last edited by datom on %b %05, %2018 - %21:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Soulmask

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB4 is gone, we are in the spiraling expenses days. Before lrb5, there were majors full of super teams, with 3k+ value teams of chaos, CDs, dark elves, etc.

There's also bloodbowl 2 which is a lot more approachable for new players while fumbbl was the only option back then.

Going back to LRB4 as a community choice seems like the only real option to me, as it is overall a lot more fun format, with things like DP, claw/rsc, but mostly spiraling expense not being there. LRB4 would stop fumbbl directly competing with bloodbowl 2, and make us the cool kids again.

One of the biggest appeal of Bloodbowl is making, or working towards making but never getting there due to injuries, a super team. With spiraling expenses, its just not possible. It's pretty bad since only removing that rule would probably make lrb5 more fun than lrb4.

People are only playing the latest ruleset because its the newest, they dont really think about it. In general, in every aspect of life, people act like lemmings.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

datom wrote:

It's a bit pedanty picking apart one point in a post that made a lot of sense

So why do it to me? Koadah is well aware of my distaste for COL/CCL. I was simply continuing the conversation we were having and there was much more to my post than just that.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Soulmask wrote:

Going back to LRB4 as a community choice seems like the only real option to me

Someone correct me, but I'm not sure that's even an option.

Jump to: