26 coaches online • Server time: 01:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
datom

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
datom wrote:

It's a bit pedanty picking apart one point in a post that made a lot of sense

So why do it to me? Koadah is well aware of my distaste for COL/CCL. I was simply continuing the conversation we were having and there was much more to my post than just that.

Sorry, I meant I was being a pedant in picking apart your post and focussing on that bit.

I agree with the rest. Just that our form of blind matchmaking can be sold as not just total strangers. Blackbox/Ranked is not the equivalent of COL/CCL.

Last edited by datom on %b %05, %2018 - %21:%Jan; edited 3 times in total
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Ranked & Box enable people to get more games though...

Meaning that there are a lot of people (26%) who are already here and playing games that could be targeted.

Ah good point. Ranked and Box players play more matches but there is actually a lot of people playing League games regularly, but not as often.
League is probably the safest part of the game for staying around a long time as friends keep playing together. Though probably a lot of League players just don't like random or game finder matchups.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
Soulmask wrote:

Going back to LRB4 as a community choice seems like the only real option to me

Someone correct me, but I'm not sure that's even an option.

In fact if it was it would be the quickest way to destroy the site other than simply closing it. Very Happy . No one played lrb4 division when crp started.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't the reason FUMBBL is on BB2016 is a directive from GW? Is that true or did I just pick that up from bad rumormill somewhere?

As much as I don't like BB2016, I think that is actually a value add to the site. It gives a substantive differentiator from BBII.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, seems spiraling expenses is gone so my whole argument is niet

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Soulmask wrote:
Well, seems spiraling expenses is gone so my whole argument is niet

The Spiralling Expenses rule has been replaced by
Expensive Mistakes:
If Treasury is 100,000 or greater roll a D6, apply the Modifier based on current Treasury, then check the EM Table:
Treasury Modifier
100k-199k +4
200k-299k +3
300k-399k +2
400k-499k +1
500k +0
Expensive Mistakes Table
1 Catastrophe (lose all but 2D6x10k)
2 Catastrophe (lose all but 2D6x10k)
3 Catastrophe (lose all but 2D6x10k)
4 Major Incident (lose half, rounding up to nearest 10k)
5 Minor Incident (lose D3x10k)
6 Minor Incident (lose D3x10k)
7 Crisis Averted (no loss)
8 Crisis Averted (no loss)
9 Crisis Averted (no loss)
10 Crisis Averted (no loss)
gpope

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Soulmask wrote:
People are only playing the latest ruleset because its the newest, they dont really think about it. In general, in every aspect of life, people act like lemmings.

Laughing Someone is really arrogant about their fantasy sportsmans maiming simulator!

3k TV teams are only really a draw for the most ultra-hardcore players. Not only is it a feature that only 1% of the site's visitors would ever use, they require a steady diet of cherrypicking victims so they exist largely at the expense of the remaining 99%.

There's already nothing stopping anyone from setting up leagues with custom rules free of spiraling expenses/expensive mistakes (and a few other tweaks like boosting fouls to recreate some of the LRB4 feel), but again, building and maintaining a megateam requires more games than you're going to be able to get with a small insular league.

I'm with others on pushing the league/community experience; Blood Bowl was never meant to be about grinding faceless internet opponents forever, it was designed for small communities and tournaments and that's where its strength lies. Happily, it also coincides with all of FUMBBL's biggest advantages over BB2: FUMBBL puts the community front-and-center in a way that BB2 and allows way more customization for unique league experiences.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
Isn't the reason FUMBBL is on BB2016 is a directive from GW? Is that true or did I just pick that up from bad rumormill somewhere?

It is because FUMBBL always gets updated with the latest rulesets (at least the vast majority of the rules) to keep up to date. It wouldn't make sense to be left behind by the tabletop version. GW leave FUMBBL alone unless things like official GW images are used.

Regarding community it is sad that FUMBBL doesn't seem to be externally recognised as a friendly community. Much of that will be from a lot of bad apples and rumours or people who prefer TT or Cyanide but partly it is because not enough people promote the positives, and can't really do on offical GW/Cyanide sites anyway.

You still get people who complain the RNG doesn't work..

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I kind of agree, but I think FUMBBL gets a bad name from some bad apples as well, most of which don't post in conversations like this, but show up in leagues. If you don't know any different and join the wrong league, you can meet some real tools. This isn't specific to FUMBBL in any way (more of a "law of online" more than anything) but people will paint everyone with that brush. It may be more of a problem for us Americans because Blood Bowl isn't as big here and the American based leagues have a different kind of "nerd" than perhaps the European leagues have, one that is a bit more aggressive and hostile. I'm not trying to paint Americans that way in general (I love being American), but there's a reason I don't go into hobby stores anymore...

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never heard of these 'wrong leagues'. In my experience leagues are generally better than the big open divisions.

Fumbbl got a bad reputation for letting some knobs keep posting their crap for way too long. That was a long time ago but it is hard to shake a bad reputation.

Some coaches can be a tad arrogant when it comes to discussing coaching ability. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
I kind of agree, but I think FUMBBL gets a bad name from some bad apples as well, most of which don't post in conversations like this, but show up in leagues. If you don't know any different and join the wrong league, you can meet some real tools. This isn't specific to FUMBBL in any way (more of a "law of online" more than anything) but people will paint everyone with that brush. It may be more of a problem for us Americans because Blood Bowl isn't as big here and the American based leagues have a different kind of "nerd" than perhaps the European leagues have, one that is a bit more aggressive and hostile. I'm not trying to paint Americans that way in general (I love being American), but there's a reason I don't go into hobby stores anymore...

Yeah, Euro BB Nerds actually do other things on the weekend and gum up tourney schedules. Wink
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Some coaches can be a tad arrogant when it comes to discussing coaching ability. Wink

I have absolutely positively no idea what you are talking about, and I would know... I know everything.

And besides, that's not unique to FUMBBL... I post in Steam more than here...

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

From my perspective Fumbbl is growing.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2018 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Yeah, Euro BB Nerds actually do other things on the weekend and gum up tourney schedules. Wink

Only the ones with wives and children and friends. Sometimes jobs.

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2018 - 04:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I do think people should be able to fill out their own pre-set template for a team that gets used when they create a new team, but then you can edit the team before finalizing the new team. Would take a lot of work out of making new teams when you find yourself doing the same race a lot.

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Hey Xyon you need to change your sig son, I never said anything vaguely like that!
 Jump to: