25 coaches online • Server time: 07:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Underworld-style mashup league: yea or nay?
Yea!
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Nay!
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
May!(be)
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Pie!
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

gpope

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 04:12 Reply with quote Back to top

So, I had a thought. The idea of building your own mixed roster is nothing new and is interested in an overpowered sort of min-max way... but I'd kind of like to see a league with simpler and saner mixed rosters. And, well, it occurred to me that the Underworld roster already gives you a pretty decent template. So... what if there was a league that let you mash together two official rosters Underworld style? Take the lineman and Big Guy from one roster, and a 0-2 lineman and two 0-2 positionals from a second roster (all with Animosity.) I think it would be a fun way to experiment with mixed rosters while keeping the power level a bit more reasonable. Would anyone be interested in playing in such a league?
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 08:33 Reply with quote Back to top

so like, wood elf + necro = 1 tree, 4 lineelves, 2 wolves, 2 golems, 2 zombies?

Or dwarf + Skaven = 7 dwarves, 2 storm vermin, 2 gutters

I like the idea but I imagine there will be only a few strong rosters, so there might actually be less variation than in normal BB rosters
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann krox, 4 lineslann, 2 wardancers, 2 woodelf catchers, 2 lineelves
leap spam.. probably not much better than normal slann roster tho

Anyone else think of good rosters?

Do mummies and tomb guardians count as positionals or big guys?
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I might give it a try. Remind me privately if and when it starts, so i can join if i have time for that.

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like it would be good fun. Possibly some positionals should be able to be doubled, so you can take four if the original roster has limited numbers of different types? Mainly thinking of Saurus here.
Zirgantz

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like the various College teams from Dungeonbowl.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 13:16
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Its an interesting idea. I think you’d have to limit which teams could be chosen as the ‘lineman’ type though.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
pokrjax

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed. Dwarf, Norse, zons and probably elves could all lead to very powerful teams imo.

In fact, a good option in line with the idea of emulating the underworld roster would probably be to allow only stunties as the linemen. Perhaps allowing skinks without the krox, and snots with 2 ogres to try and balance things out. Zombies and skeletons might also make good linemen.
gpope

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

My thought on dealing with the issue of variety/power level would be to do a 2-round snake draft for races, with a limit of 1 for each race for each "half". So the first pick is probably going to be wardancers and they'll have the only ones, but then they're not going to get to pick their linemen until the very end and will probably get stuck with something very middling at best.

It would depend some on the number of players that participate... if there's too many, some people are going to get stuck with real duds and the variance might be too high. If there's too few, the power level is going to be a lot higher overall but at least everyone's teams should be more level with each other. I feel there are about 10 solid choices on each side and maybe half a dozen more usable ones, but things get really dire after about the 16th pick (especially on the lineman half of the team.) I doubt there would be that many coaches involved, though.

As for questions on individual teams:

-Mummy/tomb guardian is an interesting choice. Regardless of which way you call it, I think Undead (and to a lesser extent Khemri) becomes a competitive choice for the half that gets them--if they're Big Guys, undead gets super efficient fodder and the best Big Guy for the lineman half, if they're positionals, undead gets a super bashy positional setup for the positional half. There are probably fewer viable lineman options, so maybe they should count as Big Guys? Or hell, maybe let them count as both. Although that might make khemri/undead mash-ups too good.

-I think every team should get a full 6 slots from the positional/animosity side even if there are only linemen + 1 positional. I think I'd be inclined to call those teams 0-4 linemen + 0-2 positional, though (to say nothing of Khemri, if tomb guardians were in the positional pool.) Chaos would be bonkers if they got all 4 warriors + 2 serviceable beastman players. Lizardmen would be less obvious since you're still not getting the entire complement of saurii, but skinks are still good enough to qualify as positionals on some teams.

-While we're on the subject, since goblins and pact each have four 0-1 positionals, I'd probably just say those rosters are 0-2 linemen and all four 0-1 positionals. Secret weapons aren't that good (especially since you wouldn't get cheap bribes) and pact's "positionals" are all linemen.

-On the subject of pact, I wasn't clear in the original post but I think the Big Guy slot should be limited to a single 0-1 (maybe give stunties 0-2, but I doubt anyone would pick them anyhow.)
awambawamb

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I can imagine Nurgle swapping two rotters for two mummies. or two werewolves

Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

That's not how it works

Could do:
Rotspawn, 4 rotters, 2 wolves, 2 wights, 2 zombies
Or
7 zombies, 2 bloaters, 2 pestigors

Neither looks strong
pokrjax

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The second option youmissed out 2 rotters, right?
pokrjax

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

On the subject of stunts lineman/ big guy choices, I can see flings with two trees working very well with quite a lot of positional options. Add 2 mummies, 2 wights and 2 ghouls to that, for example. Sounds good to me Smile
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

pokrjax wrote:
The second option youmissed out 2 rotters, right?

Can choose. Both are 0 as minimum
I'd rather have zombies than rotters

If you take a mix and then kill opponent, would you raise rotters or zombies or a mix? Or would it depend which player killed the opponent?
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

pokrjax wrote:
flings with two trees working very well with quite a lot of positional options. Add 2 mummies, 2 wights and 2 ghouls to that, for example

That's too many
You could do 2 trees, 3 flings, 2 [positional], 2 [positional] then 2 zombies

Any extra players you buy would have to be more flings
Trees might get limited to 0-1
Mummies might not count as positional

I think dwarf and Skaven, or elves and necro is likely to be the only good rosters
 Jump to: