16 coaches online • Server time: 03:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bram

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

BattleLore wrote:
bram wrote:
BattleLore wrote:
Starting with the new WO Ranked and Black Box teams are accepted in all Majors.

Still only one team per coach is allowed.

The WO will be followed by the Ulthuan Invitational, Crown of Sands, Grotty Little Tournament and Fumbbl Cup.

These Majors are open for all.

There will be the XFL Masters as a special Major only for the winners of the XFL Tournaments.

There still will be Royal Rookie Rumbles and Brawls as Minor Tournaments which will start on demand.

Does this mean that the Majors not mentioned in this post remain as they were before?

No, there will be only these 5 this year

Thanks for the clarification.

What about the future? Are you already considering some options or is it still too soon? Any chance that the Lustrian Challenge or another Major will make a comeback?
sonrises

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

These are good measures imho. However, far more is needed i am afraid... Tournaments and their history are an asset of this site and a differencianting aspect i would dare to say.
Tournament Ranks integrated into the site, Tournament history wiki, Tournament covarage, fluff... All these need to come back too, i think.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
5. Purity of experience for what? For what? Look, I don't want to roast you for your personal preferences but they just seem so self indulgent and willfully ignorant of the current state of Fumbbl.

I won't quote the whole of your rant, mrt, but you've got some fair points in there, such as me not being the most active player on the B tourney scene. Although, the tourneys that I did enter, and looking forward to future ones, were one of the main driving forces behind my incentive to play in Box.

I just want to address the point I've quoted, as this 'purity of experience' thing is really at the core of why I play Box and not Ranked. To me, this decision is basically an endorsement of the view that Box is 'just another way to get BB games'. For myself at least (and possibly others playing in Box), it's more than that - it's about a different type of playing environment to Ranked, which is more competitively 'pure'. For me, that is THE REASON I PLAY IN BLACKBOX and not in Ranked. Because, in my opinion, it is a truly competitive environment and Ranked isn't. Which is why I feel very strongly that maintaining the separation between the two divisions is very important, and why there needs to be box-only tournaments.

If you're going to take away the box-only tournaments then I agree with this comment by Grod:

Grod wrote:
Why even have 2 divisions then? Why not just merge them and make scheduler optional?

For me, there are two ways to use a random scheduler that make sense:

1) Use it as a means to generate more BB games. In which case, if that's all you want, you may as well add it to Ranked and have everyone in the same division. Keep it simple.

2) Use it to create a different type of playing environment, i.e. more competitively pure (which may appeal to a different kind of player). In which case, said environment should have its own division, its own tournaments and its own distinct rewards to play for. If it's a different type of playing environment, that separation is very important.

Anything between those two makes no sense. So, for me, if you're going to take away the box-only tourneys, then you may as well just merge it all together.

Sure, this is just one coaches opinion. You can call me indulent, selfish, whatever. But then, no-one forces me to play here, and we all know where else I can go ..

Again: absolutely terrible decision. You won't be seeing me or my teams in R or B in the near future.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz

Last edited by JellyBelly on %b %11, %2018 - %15:%Jan; edited 2 times in total
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
Verminardo wrote:
Oh the consolidation makes absolute sense, last year there was not enough interest to warrant all the Majors there were. But I did particularly enjoy being the "Box Elf" and that will no longer be viable for tourneys. Sad

When all the preened R elves get bashed to death at the Majors, you'll be the grizzled elves who know what to expect Wink

They'll just rebuild in Ranked though. Wink
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

morehouse wrote:
I have been saying for years that Fumbbl needs to combine the two divisions and for years people have been laughing at me. Well who is laughing now?

Hint: It's me.

same here. It is inevitable that Box will one day be annexed back into Ranked. The Prodigal son is returning home...slowly...but ever steady on that path.

Overall I see this as an improvement. There were too many "majors", the term became watered down.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I am pleased to see this change for purely selfish reasons.

I didn't really have time to play in all the majors and often had teams ready in the wrong divisions at the wrong times. Now it's much more likely for me that I will have some team ready that I can throw in, and since they are each a bigger deal it's more likely I will go for it.

Also, I really enjoy playing both divisions, but I see different kinds of teams in each. Since I like to play the game by building teams with an eye toward being good against "all opponents", mixing divisions for tournaments seems great. I think that will encourage some high level tournament teams to build differently than they have been, and that seems like a good thing to me. There may be some problems but I would guess the good is going to outweigh the bad here.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also quite pleased. When we made the XFL's cross divisional there were also some people complaining, both from [R]anked and [B]ox sides. In practice I think the tournament merge has been really good to XFL and we have not seen any real issues.

Compliments to the Majors staff for making this happen!

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

bram wrote:
BattleLore wrote:
bram wrote:
BattleLore wrote:
Starting with the new WO Ranked and Black Box teams are accepted in all Majors.

Still only one team per coach is allowed.

The WO will be followed by the Ulthuan Invitational, Crown of Sands, Grotty Little Tournament and Fumbbl Cup.

These Majors are open for all.

There will be the XFL Masters as a special Major only for the winners of the XFL Tournaments.

There still will be Royal Rookie Rumbles and Brawls as Minor Tournaments which will start on demand.

Does this mean that the Majors not mentioned in this post remain as they were before?

No, there will be only these 5 this year

Thanks for the clarification.

What about the future? Are you already considering some options or is it still too soon? Any chance that the Lustrian Challenge or another Major will make a comeback?

I don't know... let's see how this turns out Very Happy
Strider84

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I also like this change. I used to be a mainly ranked player but even with slann or humans i ended up sitting around for hours without a game...
So now i really only play box because when i get a 2 hour slot to play i want to play not wait around. There are people that have time to build all kind of crszy teams in any division, so i dont really see the issue.

Also feel 5 majors are enough so grats on this change.
Joost

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Well. From a selfish point of view, the fumbbl cup was my first major and I was looking forward to playing the crown of sand and not have to face incredibly developed ranked teams with my Box Orcs. Like JellyBelly, I don't like the idea of Ranked and prefer Box. But I get the reasons. And probably will still join the next major Smile
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Your Orcs will be fine, Joost. Wink

On a different note, what are the Brawls going to look like? Will they just start whenever 8 teams are in? Because that will change the dynamic won't it? No TV grouping at all, so whatever you bring you have to expect being paried against >2000 teams. If going on a "start when enough teams are there" basis, actually the Smack format with the TV brackets might be better suited?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Your Orcs will be fine, Joost. Wink

On a different note, what are the Brawls going to look like? Will they just start whenever 8 teams are in? Because that will change the dynamic won't it? No TV grouping at all, so whatever you bring you have to expect being paried against >2000 teams. If going on a "start when enough teams are there" basis, actually the Smack format with the TV brackets might be better suited?

I'm curious as well being the dude who usually pulls Brawls together. Wink
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
Can you read?

Not minds. People tend to make fatalistic lies in threads like this. So I asked for an answer to a specific question that is not answered above so much as fatalistically spewed forth.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Ranked and Box should be MERGED entirely. All this PURITY BS is exactly that.

And here again... to change how Box kinda sucks we see Ranked lose exclusive access to what has always been cool about Ranked... the Ranked Tournaments. 1st it was the FUMBBL CUP and all the XFL's. Now it's ALL the Majors.

And what does Ranked get? A cool scheduler to use every now and then. NOPE.

Some of us don't have the time to play in BOTH divisions.
And some of us don't live in Europe where a healthy Box Environment is even possible.
You Euro coaches really don't get it.

We are really stuck in Ranked if we want to have a team built via enough GAMES to be large enough to play in a MAJOR.
Sure some of the kiddos have enough time to min-max and play 1000 games until their team is JUST RIGHT.
But most of us just barely have enough time to get ANY kind of team over TV1800 where they might be competitive in a Major.

IF we get off work early enough OR work at nights with our days free... THEN we can get enough GAMES played in Box.
But if we, like most people around the world, WORK during the day and have free time in the evenings the BOX is virtually non-existent.

I cannot build a team for a Major in BOX because there are not enough GAMES.
so I play Ranked (when I can) and so my FAVORITE TEAMS and my BEST TEAMS can only emerge from there.
(Actually my best come from LEAGUE but I cant use them and that's OK).

Merge the Ranked and Box divisions entirely already.
Box already owns all the cool parts of Ranked anyway.
Why not give them the ability to PICK and use the Scheduler?

Last edited by Catalyst32 on %b %12, %2018 - %19:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
asteflix

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm super happy for the merger, because since the merger started my CR grew immensely so it must be because of it.