41 coaches online • Server time: 00:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is the main factor for giving a league prestige?
Experienced coaches
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Number of teams competing
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Ruleset originality
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Ruleset perfection
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fluff
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
Niche (i.e. league for a certain geographic area or a certain population)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Another factor
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
PIE
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 39

Frylen

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a lot of leagues on fumbbl and there is no real need to compare them since they fulfill different needs among the population but its still interesting to investigate why some leagues attract attention and some don't. And this is just a poll about what you think earns a league prestige.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 11:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Time

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
jdm

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Cowhead's college fumbbl only ran for a brief time but that was prestigious as all heck.

And the exception. Longevity trumps all.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Time should off course be an option, I'll see if I can edit it in
Frylen

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I can't.. "Another factor" represents time then
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, longevity

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a cocktail of a few factors to me.
1. Longevity
2. Coaches
3. Demand (if closed) or size (if open).

All 3 count. A long-running league that's wheezing along with 8 coaches, none of whom are particularly famous, is less prestigious than a league in its third or fourth season with 30 coaches and some big names.

Example: NCBB (28 seasons) is less prestigious than NBFL (20 seasons). NBFL is usually larger, and NCBB is a place where newcomers are easily welcomed: occasionally a subpar coach slips into NBFL, but usually you gotta earn it. If you want into the NCBB, all you need is a valid FUMBBL account.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

For me it's a mixture of factors too.

I especially like CIBBL (and BIBBL), and the factors that attract me are fluff (spring season based on geographical zones of the Warhammer world, a regular magazine that adds tons of fluff), rules (mixture of SL and ordinary rosters), number of coaches (don't know how many teams CIBBL currently has, but should be 40+ by now) and experienced coaches (most top coaches are not in CIBBL, but I think the average level is still pretty high).
almic85

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I don’t understand? SWL isn’t an option in this poll?

In real terms though longevity, quality of coaches and number of coaches competing are probably the top three things that make a league prestigious.

If you're interested join the Fringe
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

1) the commissioner. How well does he keep things fun and moving smoothly while replacing the bad apples and weeding out bad behavior.

2) Fluff. Pretty pictures, visually awesome awards etc.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2018 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Experienced coaches and no forfeits. The more forfeited games, the worse it gets.
tussock

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2018 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The more it's like SWL, the better it runs, the more people hang around and do great things in it, and the more prestigious it becomes.

Your admin team (yes, a team, supporting the commissioner) needs solid and reliable communication, you need to have avenues for complaints and suggestions and address those at some point (even just a "no, thanks"), and your league rules on everything from how coaches should treat each other to what happens when people break various rules to how sharp the axe is, that all needs written down in public somewhere, and stuck to for everyone, especially the admin team. If you're going to kick people for forfeits or whatever else, let 'em know how many they get.

Everything else flows from that. People know what's going on, know what's expected of them, they turn up, the rules are clear and the limits and consequences of breaking them is there, and consistently dealt out, people will work pretty hard to follow them. Your rules make for a good environment, manners, challenges, risks, rewards, then people have fun, they come back for more. People are enjoying it long term, or just into the whole concept of it, there's always a few with the skills to help out with art and fluff and questions and suggestions, and before you know it, you're a few years and dozen seasons in and maybe you're on the way to having a prestigious league of your own some day.

And then every 40 seasons or so you chuck it all out and start over, so good luck, and work hard, on making something that will still be going long after you're gone. Very Happy