47 coaches online • Server time: 13:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2018 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Except that the amount of box matches are higher than 2017 and pretty much all of 2016 due to a fun event you declined to participate in? Whuut?
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
Except that the amount of box matches are higher than 2017 and pretty much all of 2016 due to a fun event you declined to participate in? Whuut?

This is true - I hadn't compared the Box match rate to the past couple of years. Still, it's a shame to see the # of box games decrease by 15% since the start of the year, when the total # of games on Fumbbl has increased by 20%.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, during the first 4 months of the blackbox trophy challenge the box numbers were up above Ranked and the variety of teams in the scheduler was refreshing. Hoping for that again if it runs again ^-^
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
Well, during the first 4 months of the blackbox trophy challenge the box numbers were up above Ranked and the variety of teams in the scheduler was refreshing. Hoping for that again if it runs again ^-^

I thought BBT was running for a full year? (which is why I hadn't expected to see a taper-off from that so soon)

SpecialOne

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

AFAIK BBT runs from oktober to oktober. But maybe the first one is shorter so we run a normal year from 1. january - 31. december. (would be nice)
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Big nope for a shorter one. Running a 200 game event over a significantly shorter period of time disqualifies all but the most active players.

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

fair. I wount make 200 games anyway. Smile
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
Rbthma wrote:

I thought BBT was running for a full year? (which is why I hadn't expected to see a taper-off from that so soon)

Box numbers are still a lot better than they were just before the Trophy started.

I am not at all surprised that Box was not able to hang on to all its gains.

Low TV wasn't the problem with the Box. It was always higher TV. So, it was always likely to get less appealing as teams got older. Even without CPOMB.

I was also surprised that the idea was implemented pretty much unchanged. A year is a very, very long time to run an event. CCL started at two months and then dropped to (I think) 6 weeks.

200 games is bit of a slog. Especially if "Only one squad per coach and season is allowed. Coaches are expected to stick with their teams even through bad times."

Prolific coaches who have already done their 200 are finished. Some of those who had bad starts or are just fed up with their teams will be out too.
The season is just too long to be inspiring for very long.

That is not saying that tournament changes didn't have an effect too.

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Gauging from the surge in box matches at the start of the Trophy, somewhere around 6 months may be a better time-frame to keep coaches involved? I certainly tried to get my matches in with flings,etc. earlier on as I suspected that the variety of teams wouldn't last the full year...or that coaches might start tailoring teams to hunt the stunties, etc. Man, I'm getting cynical Wink
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
I was also surprised that the idea was implemented pretty much unchanged. A year is a very, very long time to run an event. CCL started at two months and then dropped to (I think) 6 weeks.

200 games is bit of a slog. Especially if "Only one squad per coach and season is allowed. Coaches are expected to stick with their teams even through bad times."

It was certainly part of the reason I decided not to enter, as the time-frame was so long and the number of games so high. I didn't think I'd be able to put in anywhere near enough games to be competitive.

A shorter, recurring event with a lower number of games would be a great idea and more sustainable. I'd say around 3 months would be good. People's attention spans just aren't long enough for a full year.

Jump to: